Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 23/7/2006 10:36:34 PM   
Lebowski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

Same here with musicals but I quite like Lars von Trier and I'm sure it will be something a bit different.

Wish I hadn't counted,I feel like some kind of geek now 'cause I've seen 62 of them and either have on dvd or have recorded another 3 and Amelie is on More4 tonight so I'll probably record that to.

Dancer and Amelie are two of the best films I've ever seen, and polar opposites - Amelie is as about as feel good as it's possible to get while Dancer will likely have you howling.  It's not really a musical BTW, so don't let that put you off, it's mostly spoken and nobody starts singing and dancing for no discernible reason.  Catch them both if you can.

I've seen 68, which leaves this bunch. The ones in bold I already know I want to see, anyone want to try and convince me on the others?

5. Swallowtail (Swallowtail Butterfly) - R2J - Shunji Iwai, Japan - Foz
6. Yeopgijeogin Geunyeo (My Sassy Girl) - R3 - Kwak Jae-Yong, South Korea - darkcloud
11. Chingoo (Friend) - R3K - Kak Kyung-Taek, South Korea - Jasiri
14. Solyaris (Solaris) - R1 Criterion Collection - Andrei Tarkovsky, Russia - lixqwerty
16. Dzieje Grzechu (Story of Sin) - R2 - Walerian Borowczyk, Poland - ila.aoki
20. Los Olvidados (The Young and the Damned) - R0 - Luis Buñuel, Mexico - Beetlejuice!
28. Woyzeck - R2 - Werner Herzog, Germany - adam
31. Le Charme Discret de la Bourgeoisie (The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie) - R1, Criterion - Luis Buñuel, France - R.J.MacReady
42. Shiki Jitsu (Ritual) - R2J - Hideaki Anno, Japan - Foz
52. Taegukgi Hwinalrimyeo (Brotherhood) - R2 - Kang Je-gyu, South Korea - Castor Troy
56. Le Notti Di Cabiria (Cabiria / Nights of Cabiria) - Criterion Collection - Federico Fellini, Italy - Pherlygwen
57. Salinui Chueok (Memories of Murder) - R2 - Joon-ho Baong, South Korea - pedros
59. Santa Sangre - R2 - Alejandro Jodorosky, Mexico - ila.aoki
62. Un Condamné à Mort s'est Échappé ou Le Vent Souffle où il Veut (A Man Escaped) - Robert Bresson, France - Jasiri
65. Casshern- R2- Kazuaki Kiriya, Japan- Heriberto
69. Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance- R2- Park Chan Wook, South Korea- Heriberto
70. Le Notti bianche (White Nights) - R1 (Criterion) - Luchino Visconti, Italy / France - rick_7
71. Le Quai des brumes (Port of Shadows) - R1 (Criterion) - Marcel Carne, France - rick_7
76. Aragami - R1 Media Blasters - Ryuhei Kitamura - Japan - DEF
78. Letyat zhuravli (The Cranes are Flying) - R5 Mikhail Kalatozov, USSR - shotlandka
79. Vozvrashcheniye ("The Return") - R2. Andrei Zvyagintsev
82. La Reine Margot (The Queen Margot)- R2- Patrice Chéreau- France- Mattjtemp
84. Wonderful Life (Afterlife) - R2 - Hirokazu Koreeda - Japan - Foz
87. Yokai  daisenso ( The Big Spook War) - R2 - Chiaki Kuriyama - Steve Vai
89. Last Life in the Universe - R2 - Pen-Ek Ratanaruang - Thailand - Deadly_Little_Miho.
90. Tasogare Seibei (The Twilight Samurai) - Japan - Yoji Yamada - Film Buff
91. The Bird People in China - R1 - Takashi Miike - Japan - Deadly_Little_Miho
92. Spoorloos (The Vanishing) - R1 (Criterion) - George Sluizer - Netherlands/France - Mr E
95. Seppuku (Harakiri) - R1 (Criterion) - Masaki Kobayashi - Japan - R.J.MacReady
96. Eyes Without A Face - R1 (Criterion) - Georges Franju - France - R.J.MacReady
98. Shiqi sui de dan che (Beijing Bicycle) - Xiaoshuai Wang - China - pedros
99. Chik yeung tin si (So Close) - Corey Yuen - Hong Kong - pedros

My Top 100 watched from 2006 on - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1121772&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#1159794

DVD Profiler - http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Barbapapa

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 151
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 23/7/2006 10:50:21 PM   
Gram123

Several in there I have, but haven't watched.
However, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Brotherhood and Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance.
Casshern is certainly a spectacle and entertaining enough, but it's not the best film ever. Worth a watch before a purchase.

==Gram123==

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 152
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 24/7/2006 9:40:00 AM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: ila.aoki

maybe we just have awesome taste?!

Our impeccable taste goes without saying.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lebowski

Dancer and Amelie are two of the best films I've ever seen, and polar opposites - Amelie is as about as feel good as it's possible to get while Dancer will likely have you howling.  It's not really a musical BTW, so don't let that put you off, it's mostly spoken and nobody starts singing and dancing for no discernible reason.  Catch them both if you can.

I've seen 68, which leaves this bunch. The ones in bold I already know I want to see, anyone want to try and convince me on the others?

Yeah I'll give Dancer in the Dark a go,I had a look around and you can pick it up for about a fiver and I taped Amelie last night.

As for what you haven't seen I'd pick out.

Friend
A supposedly faithful account of the director and his three friends growing up and the varying paths of their lives.Interesting story that takes you through a full range of emotions combined with superb performances and cinematography.It broke box office records in Korea when it was released and not without reason.

Swallowtail Butterfly
Impossible to give a brief description that does it justice because there's so much to it but just an incredible film that focuses on the lives of a multi national group of outsiders who live on the margins of Japanese society.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 24/7/2006 10:52:46 AM >

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 153
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 6/8/2006 1:27:41 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

Dancer and Amelie are two of the best films I've ever seen, and polar opposites - Amelie is as about as feel good as it's possible to get while Dancer will likely have you howling.  It's not really a musical BTW, so don't let that put you off, it's mostly spoken and nobody starts singing and dancing for no discernible reason.  Catch them both if you can.

Saw Amelie when it was on and enjoyed it,light hearted entertainment and has that same kind of very cinematic style that the other films I've seen from Jeunet have.Managed to pick up Dancer in the Dark at Blockbuster and watched it this morning and while it's not something you could say was enjoyable it's a tremendous piece of film making and the musical parts didn't bother me because of the way they are used and it's a million miles from the happy,shiny nauseatingly romantic crap that comes to mind when I hear the word musical.Can you tell I don't like them ?
Bjork was surprisingly good,maybe slightly ropey now and again but overall a good performance.Fair to say that no doubt like much of Lars von Trier's work it will split opinion down the middle and his critics would have a field day picking at it but if you just go along with it I don't see how you can fail to be drawn in.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 154
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 6/8/2006 2:12:03 PM   
Explosion in the Sky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

Friend
A supposedly faithful account of the director and his three friends growing up and the varying paths of their lives.Interesting story that takes you through a full range of emotions combined with superb performances and cinematography.It broke box office records in Korea when it was released and not without reason.

Yes, Kwak Kyung-taek has said it's based on his own experiences in Pusan from 1973 to 1993. I've owned the Hong Kong disk for a while now and must remember to watch it for a second time. There is a strong evocation of time and place in Friend - where the atmosphere really does hit you.

Spoiler Start
I found the climatic scene where Jang Dong-Kun's character is stabbed to death in the pouring rain, very brutal yet moving. The violence doesn't overshadow the message of the story and that is what's so effective.

Spoiler End 

Make it a high priority Lebowski, you won't regret it.

< Message edited by Explosion in the Sky -- 6/8/2006 3:02:15 PM >

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

New Jarmusch! The Limits of Control

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 155
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 6/8/2006 9:26:58 PM   
Lebowski

I would, but I'm sticking to renting at the mo.  Is it (or Swallowtail Butterfly) due out on R2 anytime soon? 

My Top 100 watched from 2006 on - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1121772&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#1159794

DVD Profiler - http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Barbapapa

(in reply to Explosion in the Sky)
Post #: 156
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 6/8/2006 10:10:08 PM   
foz

quote:

Is it (or Swallowtail Butterfly) due out on R2 anytime soon? 

Not in the UK - there is a cheap R2J reissue that makes itself available from time to time, and then there is the HK VCD (the DVD is Cantonese subs only).  Of all Shunji Iwai's films, only All About Lily Chou-Chou ever got released over here, which is a terrible shame as he is one of ths best directors/storytellers working in Japan at the moment.

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 157
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 7/8/2006 10:37:46 PM   
Explosion in the Sky

Foz, I've found some copies of Swallowtail Butterfly here on Ebay.

What do you make of that dvd? looks like a bootleg to me.

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 158
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 7/8/2006 11:05:44 PM   
nomimalone

I've only seen 19 of that 100, which I'm surprised and a little ashamed by.  I have a further 5 on video/DVD yet to watch, but the rest will get added to my dvd rental list (where possible). Cheers guys!

Post #: 159
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 7/8/2006 11:14:18 PM   
foz

Bootleg.  The chinese writing under the Japanese katakana is the giveaway here, as an English-subbed HK DVD was never released (there's a subbed VCD but the cover's completely different) - it's basically a photoshopped cover of the long-OOP R2J special edition with Chinese typed on to it.  The rest of the vendor's stuff gives it away anyway, with badly photoshopped Ghibli stuff and REGION FREE NTSC chinese copies of Shiki Jitsu (which was never released outside Japan)...

It's currently out of print in Japan but will no doubt reappear soon, sadly the Korean version is unsubbed (which is a bit odd, as a good portion of the film is in English anyway and all Iwai's other Korean releases - which are generally so cheap that nobody has an excuse not to snap them up - are fully subbed).  If you can't wait, Yesasia still has some in stock here and have inflated their price accordingly, but I have to say that even at almost 20 quid it's well worth it.  For those who think that it's a bit pricey, then the VCD (arsey pic quality, burnt-in subs, have to get up halfway through to change the disc) can be had from here for a mere HK$32, which works out at just over 2 quid.

Post #: 160
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 8/8/2006 11:20:06 AM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

sadly the Korean version is unsubbed (which is a bit odd, as a good portion of the film is in English anyway and all Iwai's other Korean releases - which are generally so cheap that nobody has an excuse not to snap them up - are fully subbed).  If you can't wait, Yesasia still has some in stock here and have inflated their price accordingly, but I have to say that even at almost 20 quid it's well worth it.  For those who think that it's a bit pricey, then the VCD (arsey pic quality, burnt-in subs, have to get up halfway through to change the disc) can be had from here for a mere HK$32, which works out at just over 2 quid.

The Korean releases are a bit of a mixed bag in regards to subtitles unfortunately.I remember looking for Picnic a while back after you mentioned it and they do a twinpack of Picnic and Undo but it's Korean subs only.There's also a nice boxset with those two plus Swallowtail Butterfly and All About Lily Chou-Chou but again Korean subs only.
£20 maybe seems a bit pricey but Japanese dvds are generally great quality and sometimes it's the only real option if you want to see great films.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 161
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 8/8/2006 8:17:05 PM   
foz

The quality of the Japanese Swallowtail isn't great, but it's probably as good as it could be given that it was filmed on the very very cheap.  It's a hatload better than the VCD though...
Same with Picnic - made very cheaply & grainy (especially compared to Lily, where he discovered the joys of cheap digicams for the first time), so hunting down the Japanese copies is generally preferable to a bad HK one.  Incidentally, I watched Picnic again the other night and, while I loved the film, Chara's voice doesn't half grate (which it doesn't in Swallowtail).

And with regards to EitS's spoiler about Friend - it's certainly a very moving thing.  Sadly, I had seen Fun Movie before seeing this and spent most of the time laughing uncontrollably at what should have been rather sad ending.  It was the giant cigarette that finally swung it...

< Message edited by foz -- 8/8/2006 8:26:54 PM >

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 162
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 8/8/2006 10:19:13 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

And with regards to EitS's spoiler about Friend - it's certainly a very moving thing.  Sadly, I had seen Fun Movie before seeing this and spent most of the time laughing uncontrollably at what should have been rather sad ending.  It was the giant cigarette that finally swung it...

Know the feeling,same thing happened to me with Green Fish.I don't want to give anything away,all I'll say is it's a cracker.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 8/8/2006 10:52:39 PM >

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 163
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 8/8/2006 10:41:00 PM   
Kenji

Very interesting list and exercise; but only 4 films before 1950, and it's too loaded with modern films i think (Korea benefits). A bit better balance wouldn't have gone amiss but i suppose it's not just the usual suspects/established classics. A pity Mizoguchi is so poorly served on dvd in the UK and US- perhaps his French box sets might count? I think i might try my own 100!

(in reply to ila.aoki)
Post #: 164
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 8/8/2006 11:34:36 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kenji

Very interesting list and exercise; but only 4 films before 1950, and it's too loaded with modern films i think (Korea benefits). A bit better balance wouldn't have gone amiss but i suppose it's not just the usual suspects/established classics.

There are what you could call glaring omissions,Ozu for example if it was taken as a definitive list but it's just a reflection of peoples tastes and what they are watching.The limited availability of pre 1950's films from many countries and the fact that most people simply watch more recent films than older ones mean the list is bound to be skewed like that.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 8/8/2006 11:46:06 PM >

(in reply to Kenji)
Post #: 165
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 8/8/2006 11:53:25 PM   
Kenji

Yeah, you're right- but i only wish more of the earlier classics were shown and seen more!

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 166
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 9/8/2006 12:01:05 AM   
Jasiri

Totally agree and sad to think that so much has through various circumstances been lost forever. 

(in reply to Kenji)
Post #: 167
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 9/8/2006 12:04:44 AM   
Explosion in the Sky

No Ozu?

You have got to be kidding.

~ José Saramago ~

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 168
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 9/8/2006 12:39:45 AM   
Jasiri

Nope take a look,poor old guy's been left out in the cold. 

Post #: 169
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 9/8/2006 8:58:54 AM   
Gram123

A couple of other things to consider:

- The average users who voted may well be relatively young and/or relatively new to world cinema (I include myself in this, and it's evident in my choices).

- The quest here was for a top 100 of world cinema DVDs, including version / region. So they're not necessarily the best films - things like extras an packaging may have influenced voting to some extent.

==Gram123==

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 170
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 9/8/2006 8:45:00 PM   
Kenji

Yeah, i suspected some of the selections may often have been due to youth and relative inexperience of world cinema (and a reflection on what's most accessible, trendy). That's why i did my alternative list of 101, to suggest some older established classics and a smattering of hidden treasures.

Congratulations on the magnificent gallery, by the way. And a very worthwhile exercise all round.

< Message edited by Kenji -- 9/8/2006 8:50:22 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 171
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 9/8/2006 10:27:58 PM   
Macphist0

That list is missing a fair few memorable which have all dvd's worthy of a top 100...

Tokyo Story -Criterion
Yi-Yi -Criterion
Fanny and Alexander -Criterion
La Dolce Vita - R1 Special Ed.
My Life to Live - R1
A Very Long Engagement -R2 2-disc
L' Avventura -Criterion
The Seventh Seal -Criterion
Andrei Rublev -Criterion
8 1/2 -Criterion

and many more..

Some of these don't have extras, but the film makes them worthy.

I guess it's my fault for not being here when it started :(, but it's a good list

(in reply to Kenji)
Post #: 172
RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema - 11/8/2006 3:23:09 PM   
mattjtemp

I didn't really like La Dolce Vita, in fact I haven't been impressed by much Italian cinema I have seen with the exception of Salo for the sheer 'oh my god' value and Amarcord, which managed to be both light and dark, Death in Venice had a haunting beauty and The Night Porter for it's stark style, oh, and I haven't yet seen the bicycle thieves so maybe I do like Italian cinema, what the fuck do I know!

'I need your clothes, your boots, and your unicycle'

(in reply to Macphist0)
Post #: 173
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Top 100 DVDs of World Cinema Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI