Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 31st March!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 31st March! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 31st ... - 28/3/2006 8:57:25 PM   
Jacob-lost-Powers

Just been reminded of the brilliance of the first series of this comedy-drama show, which is just hilarious. The characters, form Alan Statham to Sue White - they are all bloody hilarious. And after that cliffhanger (literally) in the final episode of the last series, I cannot wait any longer until friday's second series!

I know some other people here love it, but does anybody else. and how excited are we all for fridays return!

Last 3 Films Watched:
Mission:\Impossible II * * * *
Kung Fu Hustle * * * *
Ben Hur * * * *

Lost
Last Episode Watched?
Season 2 Episode 4: Everybody Hates Hugo * * *
Post #: 1
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 1/4/2006 4:02:24 AM   
smile6

I watched the re-runs of series 1 that were on the last 2 weeks and have become a devoted fan! I love it, it's so random!

1st episode of series 2 was good, not the best, but still highly amusing.

"Oh look, you're a pastafarian" , had me in stitches!

(in reply to Jacob-lost-Powers)
Post #: 2
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 1/4/2006 12:52:31 PM   
TobiasFunke

If this is what we can expect from the rest of series 2,  I wish they hadn't bothered. Some of the gags felt really forced in this episode, as if the writers (and indeed performers) are trying to duplicate the surreal quality of the first series. Mac's dream sequences were dire, many of the gags were just crude and unfunny, and even the reliable Mark Heap seemed to be floundering as Statham. And Pippa Haywood vanished about half way through the episode! Some skits were funny, like Guy trying to conceal his identity by pretending to be a hag woman, but I only laughed coz it reminded me of Terry Jones doing the exact same thing in Life of Brian and the Monty Python TV show! All in all, Ihope next week's ep is an improvement or else Green Wing is headed for disaster!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to smile6)
Post #: 3
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 1/4/2006 2:14:35 PM   
Moonpixie

Completely agree w/ TobiasFunke in regards to this one. I thought the first episode was piss poor and can only hope it gets back into it's stride next week. It only managed to produce a couple of vague smirks from me and they were thanks to Guy (who it appears is, thankfully, still a legend) but other than that, I sat stoney faced throughout.

TBH, I never found the first series of GW to be actually LOL funny, but it definitely was amusing and had an addictive quality - enough to make me quite a big fan and I really enjoyed the characters but none of them shone at all in this first episode.

I fully agree that Statham, who was creepily hilarious first time round appeared to be struggling covering the same old ground (the Statham/Boyce interaction was unfunny and seemed so old). Mac's dream sequences were so painfully unfunny and totally out of place that I actually felt mildly embarrassed. The stuff w/ Sue White just went too far and Martin had nothing to to do whatsoever.

Hopefully it was just first episode hiccups, we'll see next week anyway.

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 4
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 1/4/2006 2:37:31 PM   
___

Agree with Tobias. Although I thought the first series was forced as well. Too many straight actors trying to be zany, it doesn't work.

(in reply to Moonpixie)
Post #: 5
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 1/4/2006 3:08:15 PM   
maffew

i'd been looking forward to this since those little 'nearly ready' snippets started airing..and i missed it!! from what i've heard though, and from whats been said on here - sounds like a bit of a let down, really..oh well, i'll be watching the repeat tonight!

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to ___)
Post #: 6
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 1/4/2006 5:17:21 PM   
garfield33

I agree with smile6 - last night's was quite good, and even more twisted than usual (I hope Sue White isn't based on a real person). The re-run of the first series had me in stitches, as well as rooting for Mac and Caroline, and I hope the series will get more into its stride next week.

(I've been taping the re-run as it's waaay past my bedtime, and discovered that watching 4 episodes in a row does funny things to your mind)

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 7
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 2/4/2006 12:06:36 AM   
maffew

theres something amiss here...its not funny...that 'something funny just happened' music seems totally out of place...bit of a let down so far. lets hope Mac wakes up!

edit: oh, well i spose thats something, Mac woke up! still patchy as fuck...the harmonica thing was funny tho!

< Message edited by maffew -- 2/4/2006 12:57:00 AM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to garfield33)
Post #: 8
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 2/4/2006 1:11:54 PM   
TobiasFunke

I think one of the main problems was the amount of screen time given to Sue White, who was one of the highlights of series one but only popped up a few times per episode. Now she's in it every five minutes! I'll reserve a bit of judgement til I've seen the next episode or two because series one was slow to start.

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 9
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 2/4/2006 3:32:24 PM   
Marky_Mark

I still love Green Wing - so glad it's back on!

Agree that the first episode was a little sub-par, but then if you look back, so was the first episode of Series1.

Sue White singing 'Three Little Fishes' whilst trying to insemenate herself with Mac's 'fishies' had me pissing myself  Also the office girls reading Oedipus when Joanna walked in was genius! Roll on next week!

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 10
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 4/4/2006 11:48:29 PM   
Brick_Tamland

Have to say I thought Sue White was the best thing in it, although I found it to be very funny in general, apart from the dream sequences which seemed a waste given there was scope for some really absurd imagery.  I cannot get the phrase "I have an acidic vagina" out my head.

"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I enjoy ice cream and a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me I have an I.Q. of 48 and that I am considered mentally retarded."

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 11
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 5/4/2006 10:04:13 AM   
Rinc

I've never liked Green Wing, i find it very smug, the editing drives me crazy and it's never been that funny.

On a side note - i saw the tall bloke with longish blondish hair down the street the other day.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Brick_Tamland)
Post #: 12
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 5/4/2006 10:27:05 AM   
JIm R

I think it is great, however, there is an element to the writing that someone at some point must have sat down and said..'right, what have been the best comedies of the last few years, I know, throw them in altogether and see what happens'.

The combination of Spaced, Smack the Pony, Black Books, Hippies and Big Train at times is a bit too much but on the whole it works.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 13
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 5/4/2006 8:33:43 PM   
Jacob-lost-Powers

Not the best episode, but still brill... What puts me off, is that they all look really different. Alan Statham floundered at first, but then got back to his old self; ('There goes the ping-pong man; I'll get him!').

Guy was just hilarious all the way through...

Sue White - totally wrong, but hilarious! I agree, she was only limited in series 1, and whenever she came on it was hilarious. I hope they aren't going to overuse her now...

Does anybody else love the little snippets of music of the show? Is there a soundtrack or anything available?

I also bought series 1 on DVD on Monday, and there isn't a very wide selection of special features, even though the commentary rocks. Best episode has to be 'Slave Auction'...

Last 3 Films Watched:
Kung Fu Hustle * * * *
Ben Hur * * * *

Lost
Last Episode Watched?

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 14
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 7/4/2006 7:40:49 PM   
Jacob-lost-Powers

Episode 2 is on tonight... Here's hoping!

Last 3 Films Watched:
Kung Fu Hustle * * * *
Ben Hur * * * *

Lost
Last Episode Watched?

Post #: 15
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 7/4/2006 8:18:43 PM   
dragey74

Cant wait for tonights episode. I have only watched season 1 recently from the reruns.
I thought it was brilliantly bizarre and so very funny.
Last weeks episode carried on the same way, which was nice.

Say... That's a nice bike...

Post #: 16
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 7/4/2006 8:26:19 PM   
BobaJango

I'd have more of a laugh being told i had testicular cancer!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to dragey74)
Post #: 17
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 7/4/2006 9:16:00 PM   
maffew

yay!! its back on form! much, much better than last week...

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 18
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 7/4/2006 10:52:54 PM   
dragey74

Yep it was very funny again tonight, one of the best bits was when Sue White knocks over the chocolates by throwing herself over the counter, could see it coming but still ace! 

Say... That's a nice bike...

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 19
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 7/4/2006 11:15:20 PM   
Mononoke

I missed last weeks but this weeks was quite funny.

quote:

Yep it was very funny again tonight, one of the best bits was when Sue White knocks over the chocolates by throwing herself over the counter, could see it coming but still ace!

, predictable but still funny.  The poem about the pigeons was quite funny too.

(in reply to dragey74)
Post #: 20
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 7/4/2006 11:39:10 PM   
maffew

i really loved everythin tonight! so much better than that...difficult first ep. glad its back on form anyway..

"did you just put a banana down my top?"

< Message edited by maffew -- 7/4/2006 11:49:25 PM >

(in reply to Mononoke)
Post #: 21
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 8/4/2006 12:33:57 AM   
super_salem

I'm a new viewer of the show but I already love the character Sue White - Michelle Gomez is hilarious.

"I Wish I Knew How To Quit You"

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 22
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 8/4/2006 5:31:07 PM   
Jacob-lost-Powers

quote:

ORIGINAL: super_salem

I'm a new viewer of the show but I already love the character Sue White - Michelle Gomez is hilarious.

She is, along with Alan Statham. I'm actually beginning to like Guy!

Last 3 Films Watched:
Kung Fu Hustle * * * *
Ben Hur * * * *

Lost
Last Episode Watched?

(in reply to super_salem)
Post #: 23
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 8/4/2006 8:14:03 PM   
Moonpixie

quote:

. I'm actually beginning to like Guy!

You mean you didn't like Guy before?? He's such a prick how could you not like him?

Anyway, episode 2 was definitely back on form after last weeks lame effort. I just think the whole scenario of Mac being in a coma while the rest of the cast acted "zany" around him was just weak and forced, things flowed in their usual way much more last night.

Glad to see Statham was back to his usual self. Funny yet flesh-crawling. The poem at the evening class was painful beyond belief.

Also glad that Sue White's screen time was relegated back to normal.

Post #: 24
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 9/4/2006 12:09:20 AM   
natalieholt1982

Agree with Moonpixie, Guy the guy you hate to love, last nights wasnt as good as opener  but loved the chip and sword bit

He said go back inside

(in reply to Moonpixie)
Post #: 25
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 9/4/2006 3:36:24 PM   
nailpolish

I'm loving the series and dont understand the criticism of the new series.  If you've not got the DVD of series 1 its definately worth getting.  I loved Guy on Friday wiping his hands in the woman's hair.  Stephen Mangan is a brilliant comedic actor.  I think he's our best up and coming comedy actor in the UK. 

(in reply to natalieholt1982)
Post #: 26
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 9/4/2006 3:51:23 PM   
Marky_Mark

Now THAT was more like it!!

The conversation with Guy and Martin in the canteen was pure Green Wing genius...

"Curly-wurly-not-Liz-Hurley"....."You're not a real man til you've had blood on your sword"

I nearly fell off my chair laughing!! LOVE IT!

Statham's poetry night class IMO out-creeped David Brent on the embarassment scale.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to nailpolish)
Post #: 27
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 9/4/2006 7:52:04 PM   
Jacob-lost-Powers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marky_Mark

"Curly-wurly-not-Liz-Hurley"....."You're not a real man til you've had blood on your sword"

Comedy genius!

Last 3 Films Watched:
Kung Fu Hustle * * * *
Ben Hur * * * *

Lost
Last Episode Watched?

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 28
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 10/4/2006 8:37:40 AM   
nailpolish

Mangan's scene on  the bus was inspired particularly he wiped his hands in her hair. I hope Mangan goes on to big things. Comedic actors like Martin Freeman and Simon Pegg stay within their comfort zone but Mangan is a brave actor and excellent at turning the most loathsome character into something more.

Post #: 29
RE: The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 3... - 14/4/2006 2:06:20 PM   
Jacob-lost-Powers

On Tuesday, Stephen Mangan (Guy), Julian Rhind-Tutt (Mac) and Oliver Chris (Boyce) were signing copies of the DVD in Virgin Megastores on Oxford Street...

I went, and they were amzing - just so kind, and funny...

I said to Stephen Mangan, after he said he was amazed by how many people came, 'Didn't you think that many people would turn up?' He replied, hilariously, by saying - 'No, I only thought that 3 people and a cat would turn up!'

Last 3 Films Watched:
Kung Fu Hustle * * * *
Ben Hur * * * *

Lost
Last Episode Watched?

(in reply to nailpolish)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Official 'GREEN WING' Thread - Starts !Friday 31st March! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI