Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Catch Me If You Can - 25/3/2006 5:05:28 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Catch me if you can - 25/3/2006 5:05:28 PM   
premierbaron

Although many would disagree, i hated this film. It was dire. With a boring and uninteresting story, I do not know how I carried on watching this.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Catch me if you can - 25/3/2006 9:01:17 PM   
wackojacko

I really like this film. Leonardo Dicaprio is stood up by Tom Hanks and Christopher Walken and the opening titles are amazing. Well worth a watch.

The Haunted made me do it

(in reply to premierbaron)
Post #: 3
RE: Catch me if you can - 26/3/2006 8:29:05 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

In general, I dislike Leonardo DiCaprio as an actor, however with Tom Hanks and Christopher Walken in the movie mix you cannot really go awry... especially Walken, who can sell just about anything from tap dancing to Keira Knightley in Domino.

The true story of the man who conned Pan Air out of thousands and alluded the FBI for years, which is beneath the facade of Hollywood's glossy filmmaking, is intriguing though so it is worth your endurance.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to wackojacko)
Post #: 4
RE: Catch me if you can - 26/3/2006 10:10:55 PM   
JediBobster

I remember thinking that this was okay. But a few years on the only thing that really sticks in my mind is the opening credit sequence by Florence Deygas accompanied with that John Williams Music.

Someone I went to the cinema with went out to get some snacks and missed it. D'oh!

JEDI BOBSTER

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 5
Entertainig - 11/2/2008 9:27:25 AM   
blaud

Fairly solid film, good performances all round, 'specially from hanks

Post #: 6
- 25/3/2008 1:52:49 PM   
shawshank prisoner

clever, cool and interesting with brilliant performances from the two leads, Hanks and Dicaprio.

Post #: 7
- 25/3/2008 1:52:49 PM   
shawshank prisoner

clever, cool and interesting with brilliant performances from the two leads, Hanks and Dicaprio.

Post #: 8
RE: - 14/6/2008 7:00:45 PM   
the anomaly

A great film I think. The premise which is based on a true story of a man who conned his way to an extremelly successful life and many aliasis is amazing. Di Caprio and Tom Hanks are both both brilliant leads.

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 16/6/2008 3:06:32 PM   
CORLEONE

Ruddy awful considering the talent involved.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 16/6/2008 6:21:36 PM   
Dunder_Mifflin

very good film. consistent in pace, with a smart, cocky turn form Di Caprio. Tom Hanks witters on (sometimes he annoys me, sometimes he amuses me, sometimes he amazes me) and Christopher Walken is fantastic if underplayed as Di Caprios father. Good small role from Martin Sheen too.

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 16/6/2008 11:47:18 PM   
PB~!

I think it's great, I really love it.  All three guys are great and it's a generally charming film.

no guilt in life, no fear in death

Check out my Hitchcockian Adventure in Lists and Top 10's
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2209701

(in reply to Dunder_Mifflin)
Post #: 12
- 7/7/2008 4:39:40 PM   
Zinatam

A great film, but with Spielberg directing and DiCaprio, Walken and Hanks acting, can you go wrong?

Post #: 13
RE: - 10/7/2008 8:01:35 AM   
Wessing

This film is slow, but it is so good because of it.  They make sure the audience knows everything, and the performances are outstanding, the character change is magnificent too.  a must see for all moviegoers.

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to Zinatam)
Post #: 14
Oscar travesty - 2 nominations is an insult - 25/7/2009 1:07:12 PM   
adamthecaptain

When I left the cinema after being enthralled by the first class acting of DiCaprio, Hanks and Walken I had an overwhelming feel of joy. Usually when frequent time jumps are used in a film the audience is left confused and isolated - but not here, it's crafted in such a way that it enhances the understanding of the story and holds the intrigue of the audience - that is kudos to you Mr Spielberg. The acting is at first class here - especially the way the relationship between Abagnale Jr and Sr. DiCaprio is usual self - completely born for the little gold fella, for him to go without a nomination is a travesty, Adrien Brody was excellent and deserved to win though that year, but to nominate Nicholas Cage and not DiCaprio was an insult to cinema. Walken gave an utterly convincing performance of a divorced husband, he casually ignores Jr's constant efforts to bring his mother into any conversation and he makes his best efforts to hide his feelings, but they clearly show through. At least Walken was nominated for his tear to the eye performance, but he was miles better than Chris Cooper. Hanks makes the perfect depiction of a sarcastic agent who does have some genuine empathy with Abagnale, and he does show some genuine emotion, not to the level of DiCaprio's crying in the aeroplane toilet scene, but it is there. Of course there is the outrage of the best film Oscar which should have belonged to Catch me if you can, the Pianist or Gangs of new york - but certainly not chicago (which I'm not alone in saying) was a pile of crap.

Post #: 15
Unfairly overlooked! - 21/5/2010 11:58:55 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

This is the most purely entertaining movie Spielberg has made in a while, not counting the likes of 'Munich', which I consider a 'film' not a 'movie' or a blockbuster. The cinematography is gorgeous, the script stylish, the leads superb, particularly Hanks, and the direction is absolutely perfect (what the hell else would you expect?).

Post #: 16
RE: Unfairly overlooked! - 10/5/2013 11:44:48 PM   
Mr Gittes

A terrific script, great performances (Hanks especially, for me), a wonderful score, and of course irresistible visual flair from master storyteller Steven Spielberg make this gloriously entertaining, yet character-driven, thriller one of the director's most underrated works, and a real gem of a movie.

(in reply to !xHoTRoDx!)
Post #: 17
RE: Catch Me If You Can - 15/5/2013 12:08:43 PM   
JohnChard

It's "Class A" film making across the board.

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Catch Me If You Can Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI