Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Generation War - BBC2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Generation War - BBC2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Generation War - BBC2 - 1/5/2014 7:58:41 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Anybody alse watch Part One of the three part German made drama last week?

I thought it was pretty decent viewing, looking forward to the next two parts.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Generation War - BBC2 - 1/5/2014 8:43:09 AM   
demoncleaner

I saw it on Saturday. Thought it was decent too and will definitely see the next two.

I was expecting something a bit more epic to be honest, but it was economic, not quite to the point of minimalism, but economic enough.

I had a few problems with it, mostly in the storyline with the girlfriend using/and being used by the Gestapo officer. Mainly because it was done chiefly as melodrama. Following the people remaining on the homefront I felt it owed a debt to describe the emotional life of living under that degree of oppressive ideology. The next episodes may take the story to the horror of the camps, but dare I say it, I thought it was "too easy" on the characters. We broadly assume that they don't agree with a lot of the Nazi ideology but I don't think it's been particularly interested in articulating it. The story on the Eastern Front is a standard pacifist versus duty story that didn't have to be German. Probably the most interesting character is the nurse.

I hope this is too harsh a criticism and it developes into something more substantial. But I think the first episode was happy for the most part to reside in melodrama...with a few glimpses of horror.

But yeah...I'll continue to watch.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 1/5/2014 8:44:23 AM >

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: Generation War - BBC2 - 3/5/2014 9:55:10 PM   
demoncleaner

Hazell Irvine has declared that War's postponed.

She's Snooker's Nevil Chamberlain.

Bastard.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 3
RE: Generation War - BBC2 - 6/5/2014 5:27:10 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Watched part two today. I'm enjoying it, it's really well made. The story as a whole has been really interesting but there are a few things that just don't sit right with me.

Such as Charley jumping into bed with the old doc as soon as she finds out Willhelm is dead (but he isn't)
Friedhelm just walking along in a Russian uniform, plain stupid. He's supposed to be the smart one. Also he looks like James McAvoy, not sure why this annoys me but it does.

All in all I am enjoying it though

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Generation War - BBC2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI