Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Films conspicuously absent from DVD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films conspicuously absent from DVD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 17/4/2014 7:25:04 PM   
Padraic Coffey

What are some films which you feel are long overdue for a Region 2 DVD release?

Here are I few that I find baffling weren't released on DVD in the UK and Ireland.

Nashville (Robert Altman, 1975) [It was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars the same year as Jaws and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, for God's sake!]

Le Samouraï (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967) [Hugely influential on the likes of The Killer, Drive and Leon]

The Blob (Chuck Russell, 1988) [Not very good as a film, but the special effects are great, and it was written by Frank Darabont. Also the VHS was everywhere when I was young.]

The Keep (Michael Man, 1983) [Collectively, Mann's films have grossed over a billion dollars, so why not release this sophomore effort?]

Any other examples?
Post #: 1
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 17/4/2014 7:47:55 PM   
Mister Coe

THE KEEP does show up every once in a while on Film4, if you're a UK viewer keep an eye out... bloody love that film. Also quite fond of THE BLOB, one of my fave late 80's horror films, can't Arrow do a fancy Blu release of that one, like they've done on so many 80's films?

The one I really want to watch again is a French film from the early 90's called SAVAGE NIGHTS... saw it once on channel 4 back in the day, loved it... there is a crappy version with foreign subtitles on Youtube, but I'm resisiting it, I'd rather see a lovely new print spinning on my BluRay player... can't believe a film with so much critical acclaim is pretty much forgotten abut nowadays...

Say what now?

(in reply to Padraic Coffey)
Post #: 2
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 17/4/2014 10:29:16 PM   
rich

Le Samourai is easy to get hold of though http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Samourai-DVD-Alain-Delon/dp/B003YUOYR8

< Message edited by rich -- 17/4/2014 10:30:00 PM >

Meanwhile...

Post #: 3
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 18/4/2014 1:04:53 AM   
Padraic Coffey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

THE KEEP does show up every once in a while on Film4, if you're a UK viewer keep an eye out... bloody love that film. Also quite fond of THE BLOB, one of my fave late 80's horror films, can't Arrow do a fancy Blu release of that one, like they've done on so many 80's films?

The one I really want to watch again is a French film from the early 90's called SAVAGE NIGHTS... saw it once on channel 4 back in the day, loved it... there is a crappy version with foreign subtitles on Youtube, but I'm resisiting it, I'd rather see a lovely new print spinning on my BluRay player... can't believe a film with so much critical acclaim is pretty much forgotten abut nowadays...

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Le Samourai is easy to get hold of though http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Samourai-DVD-Alain-Delon/dp/B003YUOYR8

True, both films are accessible (The Keep is also on US Netflix), but neither have ever been released on DVD in the UK/Ireland. My question is, why?

Another conspicuous example:

Point Blank (John Boorman, 1967) [Its remake, Payback, has never been out of print on DVD to the best of my knowledge, so why not the original? Especially considering John Boorman is an English director.]

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 4
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 18/4/2014 1:40:33 AM   
rich

Well Criterion doesn't operate in the UK so that suggests the problem is the distributor. The first Addams Family movie was missing here for a long time, I think that's been released though now. Like everything, it depends on which company owns the rights to sell it here. You get films that are released under a certain label and then the company goes under, and then it's out of print indefinitely. Someone out there is deciding where the demand for these are and saying that R2 is not a good market.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 5
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 18/4/2014 8:47:53 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Padraic Coffey

Here are I few that I find baffling weren't released on DVD in the UK and Ireland.

Nashville (Robert Altman, 1975) [It was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars the same year as Jaws and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, for God's sake!]

Le Samouraï (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967) [Hugely influential on the likes of The Killer, Drive and Leon]

The Blob (Chuck Russell, 1988) [Not very good as a film, but the special effects are great, and it was written by Frank Darabont. Also the VHS was everywhere when I was young.]The Keep (Michael Man, 1983) [Collectively, Mann's films have grossed over a billion dollars, so why not release this sophomore effort?]

Any other examples?

I would like the 1958 Steve McQueen Version of the Blob as well.

The Principal - Christopher Cain 1987 Thriller with James Belushi, Louis Gossett Jr, Rae Dawn Chong

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 6
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 18/4/2014 7:19:55 PM   
BudBaxter

quote:

True, both films are accessible (The Keep is also on US Netflix), but neither have ever been released on DVD in the UK/Ireland. My question is, why?

The Keep has never been released anywhere in the world on DVD or Blu. So it's not just us.

It could be down to the rights to the Tangerine Dream score. There's also an ongoing rumour that Michael Mann wants to release his original 3 hour cut. We can only hope. I'd like the theatrical version as well though. Love The Keep. It's flawed, but it's awesome.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Why would you want a Korean bootleg of the Criterion disc?

Post #: 7
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 18/4/2014 8:16:04 PM   
Mister Coe

Hmmm, THE KEEP without that awesome Tangerine Dream score? Particuarly the bit when the solders try and tug the silver cross out of the wall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fsus3oE8ko

< Message edited by Mister Coe -- 18/4/2014 8:20:32 PM >

Say what now?

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 8
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 18/4/2014 11:09:17 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

Why would you want a Korean bootleg of the Criterion disc?

I don't know anything about it. Let me know know get on with Amazon on that.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 9
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 19/4/2014 1:20:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Hmmm, THE KEEP without that awesome Tangerine Dream score? Particuarly the bit when the solders try and tug the silver cross out of the wall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fsus3oE8ko

Can't just be the score? I don't think that was a massive reason or the delay with Sorceror and that's finally arriving soon.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 10
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 19/4/2014 6:25:00 PM   
From_Hell

This reminds me of The Video Dead, which I have wanted to rewatch for years, doesn't seem to get shown on UK TV and (to my knowledge) hasn't been released on DVD. It's finally been given a BD release, but Region 1 only, and my player is region-locked

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 23/4/2014 9:44:13 AM   
hozay

Amazon have DVD copies of The Keep apparently but at $90.00 Australian ( 50 Pounds ) I'll wait for another release ( hopefully the Director's Cut mentioned above ).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_8?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=the+keep+scott+glenn&sprefix=the+keep%2Cmovies-tv%2C882

< Message edited by hozay -- 23/4/2014 9:58:44 AM >

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 12
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 25/4/2014 11:09:08 AM   
BudBaxter

quote:

Coming out May 26th from Masters of Cinema

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nashville-Masters-Cinema-Format-Blu-ray/dp/B00I5QVT2O/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1398420474&sr=1-2&keywords=nashville

Post #: 13
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 25/4/2014 11:11:55 AM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: hozay

Amazon have DVD copies of The Keep apparently but at $90.00 Australian ( 50 Pounds ) I'll wait for another release ( hopefully the Director's Cut mentioned above ).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_8?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=the+keep+scott+glenn&sprefix=the+keep%2Cmovies-tv%2C882

I guarantee that's not an official release.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 14
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 25/4/2014 11:16:45 AM   
Padraic Coffey

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

quote:

Coming out May 26th from Masters of Cinema

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nashville-Masters-Cinema-Format-Blu-ray/dp/B00I5QVT2O/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1398420474&sr=1-2&keywords=nashville

Cheers for the heads up! I actually had someone pick up a DVD of Nashville in the US a while back, but glad it's getting a release on this side of the Atlantic, à la The Conformist.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 15
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 25/4/2014 5:25:58 PM   
Porrohman

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

The Blob (Chuck Russell, 1988) [Not very good as a film, but the special effects are great, and it was written by Frank Darabont. Also the VHS was everywhere when I was young.]The Keep (Michael Man, 1983) [Collectively, Mann's films have grossed over a billion dollars, so why not release this sophomore effort?]

Any other examples?

I would like the 1958 Steve McQueen Version of the Blob as well.

The Principal - Christopher Cain 1987 Thriller with James Belushi, Louis Gossett Jr, Rae Dawn Chong

You can get The Principal from amazon. I bought it a few years ago.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 16
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 7/5/2014 10:40:27 AM   
OldGrey

You cant get Dudes with John Cryer on dvd either !
The Keep has been tied up in legal argument for years now, don't know why really , I know the author F. Paul Wilson did not like the movie and there were legal issues over the soundtrack but surely Paramount own the rights so could release it if they wanted to ???

Post #: 17
RE: Films conspicuously absent from DVD - 8/5/2014 3:59:15 PM   
AngryDude92

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

This reminds me of The Video Dead, which I have wanted to rewatch for years, doesn't seem to get shown on UK TV and (to my knowledge) hasn't been released on DVD. It's finally been given a BD release, but Region 1 only, and my player is region-locked

If it makes you feel better I saw it a few years back and it's really not very good, not even as a "so bad it's good" type film.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films conspicuously absent from DVD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI