Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ready For The Truman Show TV Series?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ready For The Truman Show TV Series? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ready For The Truman Show TV Series? - 10/4/2014 9:25:42 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Follow on - 10/4/2014 9:25:43 AM   
shazam

I have wanted to see a sequel to this ever since I first watched the film. It's one of my favourite films and I would love to see the series start where the film ended. A man out of time, adjusting to his new surroundings, mobbed by the media at every turn would make a very interesting story (sound similar to anyone?)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 10/4/2014 10:19:15 AM   
Darren47

If Jim Carrey is back and/or Peter Weir is the producer, then yes. I am ready for a Truman Show series!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Follow on - 10/4/2014 12:09:44 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: shazam

I have wanted to see a sequel to this ever since I first watched the film. It's one of my favourite films and I would love to see the series start where the film ended. A man out of time, adjusting to his new surroundings, mobbed by the media at every turn would make a very interesting story (sound similar to anyone?)

You're right, it makes more sense to continue the story rather than re-tell it over a longer period. Truman, instantly and still largely unwittingly the biggest celebrity in the world, looked at wherever he goes:

A fresh pair of eyes through which to see the modern western world and the obsessions people have, etc. A loud brash and chaotic world totally at odds with the total order Truman used to have. Can he survive in this new world or will he wish to escape back where he came from. The whole world is now the studio in which Truman lives and his every action is media fodder. Can anyone survive this, and how does it feel to be in that position (which would be a pretty good way of exploring celebrity, why they go off the rails, how it would feel to have people say the most terrible things about you, wish you dead on the internet, make assumptions about who you are and tell you how grateful you should be for any and all attention etc, and then have people say you are famous, so you owe us, you are fair game, a whipping boy for anything we want to whip you for, so fuck you).

The series already has the perfect pilot. The main interest in any series would be the result of the fame of the original film. The concept of the reality show and Truman as unwitting participant has been overtaken by the level to which actual reality shows have become a default cheap TV staple. Going back to the start of such a tale is largely pointless and totally has the problem of the film already having made all the salient points in a compact way. Would a TV series version of the same story pale in comparison inevitably because of this.

Much of what could be done in terms of people feeling watched,etc can be done outside the closed set scenario. And if the series needs to have the creeping development of the feeling of being watched and a world falling apart then it could begin like this:

Having escaped his lifelong mental and physical prison, the wave of goodwill towards Truman results in an almost worldwide societal unconscious decision that he deserves to be left alone to adjust after his 'happy ending' escape. We have a few episodes of 'new man in big world he never knew existed' type exploration stories, before the occasional 'how is Truman doing now he is out of there' interviews, nothing too intrusive...then the goodwill towards his privacy starts to fade from there as the gap The Truman Show once filled reasserts itself, and having been'public property' all his life he becomes so again.

Truman, being a known face to all and sundry in this fictional world means episodes can go anywhere, literally and Thematically, because celebrity opens doors, so things we might not like to think about in our world can be seen fresh by eyes that will see very clearly the cruelty, the hypocrisy, the inanity of much of modern life. Maybe this series, handled well could open doors. Into us! With Breaking Bad levels of 'how much can this character cope with/handle before he finally loses who he was completely?' And the scenario for the show could be played both for laughs and 'getting real' about how it would be to be in this situation, giving it options for the tone of episodes/incidents that would give the story the variety it would need if it is to have the legs to go somewhere.

Or some shit like dat...

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 10/4/2014 12:29:08 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to shazam)
Post #: 4
RE: Follow on - 10/4/2014 5:01:07 PM   
GrizBe

If they didn't do the 'what happened to Truman next' route, the only way I could see the series being interesting would be If it focused more on the background crew...

How do those little camera's get everywhere? What happens if one of the actors gets sick or injured, or something easily curable today but not in the time setting of the show? How do they keep keeping Truman away from outside influences and so on...

As Big Brother proved, a series of just someones life will ultimately fail.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 5
RE: Follow on - 14/4/2014 9:32:50 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: shazam

A man out of time, adjusting to his new surroundings, mobbed by the media at every turn would make a very interesting story (sound similar to anyone?)

Yes, sounds like EdTV

(in reply to shazam)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ready For The Truman Show TV Series? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI