Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chiwetel Ejiofor May Face James Bond

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Chiwetel Ejiofor May Face James Bond Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chiwetel Ejiofor May Face James Bond - 6/4/2014 10:18:43 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 6/4/2014 10:18:43 PM   
Suarez007

How can he be linked to the role of James Bond....James Bond is white!!!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 6/4/2014 11:22:23 PM   
GrizBe

What Suarez said... I'm getting fed up of the current stream of long established characters getting race switched for no good reason. Theres no need for Bond, or any other character to suddenly be black.

That said, there is no reason he couldn't be. 'Bond' could be a code name, much like the 007 designation.. It just annoys me they do it for no good reason other then to be politically correct it seems.

Post #: 3
- 6/4/2014 11:39:29 PM   
Suarez007

Next up they will reboot shaft and make him white!

Post #: 4
- 7/4/2014 12:16:43 AM   
GrizBe

Or Blade, Lando Calrission, Morpheus and we'll end up with the Men In White.

Post #: 5
Names Is For Tombstones, Baby! - 7/4/2014 1:02:01 AM   
chris kilby

Don't know about 007, but Chewie would make a great Doctor Who. (And it is widely rumoured he turned down the role before Matt Smith got it.)

PS: Nothing like having black actors play beloved, hitherto white fictional characters (Perry White, Nick Fury, The Kingpin) for bringing out reactionary fanboys' (b)latent racism. Keep up the good work, fellas!

Post #: 6
- 7/4/2014 2:03:44 AM   
Thomas Odgers

I agree with the above comment. But you can't argue with those pc twats.

Post #: 7
ps - 7/4/2014 2:05:06 AM   
Thomas Odgers

Christian Bale would mae a great Shaft. Ha ha.

Post #: 8
- 7/4/2014 7:59:11 AM   
Suarez007

I have faith in those guys at Eon productions not to anything silly !

Post #: 9
- 7/4/2014 10:22:26 AM   
GrizBe

Thing is as said... If we did make Shaft or Blade or any other Black character white, there would be a huge public outcry of racism and it'd make national news.... Do it the other way like this though and make a white character black, and no-ones meant to bat an eyelid even though its the exact same issue.

As said though, I've no issue with them making a character black if they've got a decent enough actor who can pull it off. Hell, Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin was awesome, as were the like of Idris Elba as Heimdall.

It just hacks me off that they seemingly make the decision to change a characters race, simply because there aren't enough good heroes and characters of that race.

I mean honestly.. can anything think of a 100% legitimate reason that a white character should suddenly become black when they're playing the same version of that character, or for that matter vise versa with a black character becoming white?

Post #: 10
- 7/4/2014 10:47:07 AM   
Judge

Yeah I'm with all of you. White actors have never played roles meant for other ethnicities. Imagine the outcry if The Prince of Persia was white. Or Katniss in The Hunger Games. Or if Ben Affleck had cast himself as the Mexican lead in Argo. Just imagine if Tiger Lily is played by a white person in the new Peter Pan film. Or you know maybe nobody will give a shit. Big fan of Ejifor, liking the idea of him going up against Craig more and more by the minute.

Post #: 11
- 7/4/2014 5:15:53 PM   
GrizBe

Except Prince of Persia was a video game character that always been depicted as off white, olive skinned. Katniss is described as having 'olive skin', so technically white. Mexicans are of Spanish origin, so there many 'white' ones. And Tiger Lily is only ever described as 'an Indian' with no mention of skin colour. There's never been a single prominently black character turned white like this.

Post #: 12
- 7/4/2014 6:11:00 PM   
Kavandclay

GrizBe, rather than automatically assuming that the choice is to do with political correctness, could the fact that he one of the best british actors around be a good enough reason for you to "accept". Or would we need to check that Danny Dyer wasn't available first?

As for a fictional character being quintessentially white, try watching Kurosawa's acclaimed Throne of Blood and let me know what it reminds you of.

Post #: 13
- 7/4/2014 6:35:37 PM   
Suarez007

its nothing to do with how good an actor he is. As it is I think he would make a very good villain following on from the acting chops of Javier Bardem , Ian Fleming wrote the character as a white upper man. You dont see Harry Potter being brought to the big screen by a black kid ?

Post #: 14
- 7/4/2014 9:16:52 PM   
GrizBe

Did I at any point say that he's not a good actor? No. And I know Throne of Blood is Macbeth. There they move the entire setting and every character to Japan, rather then changing the race of a single character. If your going to use the 'good actor' argument for making him Bond, why not Thomas Hardy? The Fantastic 4 reboot cast Micheal B Jordan and Kate Mara as the Storms. They've always been biological siblings, yet they've cast 2 different race actors... Why? There's no good reason for it.

Post #: 15
- 9/4/2014 5:21:58 PM   
Tony007

What am I missing here? Did I read the same article you did? Chinwetalu is being considered to play the role of a James Bond villain. Not James Bond.

Post #: 16
Ello, Ello, Ello - Wot's All This Then...? - 12/4/2014 12:09:45 AM   
chris kilby

ALL screen Bonds have been so different from the Fleming version one way or another (or several) that changing his skin colour wouldn't really make much difference. 007 didn't have a Scottish father till Connery was a hit. Camp old Roger Moore was about as far from Fleming as you could get. And Daniel Craig's hair is the "wrong" colour even though he's arguably the most Flemingesque Bond of all.

Colin Salmon (who has lobbied for the role) would also make a fine Bond. He'd also be a good Doctor Who. Just not as good as Michelle Gomez!

Signed,

PC Twat.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 12/4/2014 12:15:29 AM >

Post #: 17
Stop and read the article again - 12/4/2014 7:14:57 AM   
mclane1

It's nothing to do with him being James Bond, it's about him being a James Bond baddie.
If your talking being bond that should be idris alba!

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Chiwetel Ejiofor May Face James Bond Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI