Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What influence will Gravity have over FX movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What influence will Gravity have over FX movies? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What influence will Gravity have over FX movies? - 7/3/2014 8:40:20 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

If any? or will it end up like Avatar, something that stands out from the crowd as a first rate example or visual FX and creativity, but something that other film makers don't really try to replicate. After watching the fascinating extra features it got me thinking as to whether it will affect the way any movies that have scenes set in space are made. I got to thinking about how good a movie with a setting like The Abyss could be, using the long shot techniques of Gravity. I think it has raised the bar in many ways, just like Avatar did but then with Avatar, up to today, no one has even attempted something similar. Gravity has pushed some visual FX techniques so far, that will any other sci fi or space movies feel like a step backwards unless they adopt the (fully CG) approach that Gravity took? I had assumed that more of Gravity was made up of the actors on wires in front of a green screen, but that is hardly the case, with almost everything being CG.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!
Post #: 1
RE: What influence will Gravity have over FX movies? - 7/3/2014 10:33:10 AM   
tommypocket

My first thought after Gravity came out was whether it would encourage David Fincher and Morgan Freeman to push forward with their Rendezvous with Rama project. Or would it even discourage them?

The pair have been looking to adapt Arthur C. Clarke's classic SF novel for over a decade and Fincher has said that he'd envisioned it would be entirely CG except for the actors' faces... and he said that over ten years ago!

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2
RE: What influence will Gravity have over FX movies? - 11/3/2014 8:17:36 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommypocket

My first thought after Gravity came out was whether it would encourage David Fincher and Morgan Freeman to push forward with their Rendezvous with Rama project. Or would it even discourage them?

The pair have been looking to adapt Arthur C. Clarke's classic SF novel for over a decade and Fincher has said that he'd envisioned it would be entirely CG except for the actors' faces... and he said that over ten years ago!

Good call on Rendevous with Rama, I'm still hoping that gets made one day, and the techniques Fincher was discussing over ten years ago, would be absolutely achievable now, in the wake of Gravity.

(in reply to tommypocket)
Post #: 3
RE: What influence will Gravity have over FX movies? - 11/3/2014 10:35:54 PM   
rich

Wishful thinking - with the right budget storytellers will be able to make films that before were only imagined

Realistically - more CG sets, digital doubles and uncut shots without actual cameras I guess

Meanwhile...

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 4
RE: What influence will Gravity have over FX movies? - 17/3/2014 7:02:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

We need more directors with the kind of visual imagination of Cuaron who can dream up these stories and scenarios to offer such a unique experience, that it simply demands to be seen in 3D.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What influence will Gravity have over FX movies? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI