Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sam Raimi Wants To Bring The Last Of US To Cinemas

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sam Raimi Wants To Bring The Last Of US To Cinemas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sam Raimi Wants To Bring The Last Of US To Cinemas - 7/3/2014 7:46:02 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Noooooooooooooo - 7/3/2014 7:46:02 AM   
ste_robbo

Would much rather have more of the game in terms of expansions, spin offs etc. Hopefully they do the game justice and don't turn it into something like the terrible terrible resident evil franchise.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
If it's done right - 7/3/2014 8:37:37 AM   
MOnkeyboy1138

If this is handled right, this could not only be the best movie based on a video game (seriously there is little competition), but it could be one of the best movies to come out that year.

But, I doubt they'll get it right.

Post #: 3
- 7/3/2014 9:44:54 AM   
jmebaby25

I share the concerns that Screen Gems are involved, so I'm really hoping to see a superb cast and director announcement.

I think Hugh Jackman or Josh Brolin could do the part justice, although I think it would be perfect for Brad Pitt, but he may want to steer clear of the genre a little bit because he's already done World War Z and is no doubt starring in the sequel.

I've no idea at all for who should play Ellie. Ellen Page would be great (and I don't see age being a problem because she's like Michael J Fox in that regard - she's hardly changed at all since Juno). However - she wasn't happy when she saw that Naughty Dog had pretty much used her likeness for the game, so I doubt she'd get involved.

Anyhoo - the game is a masterpiece and I'm really hoping this adaption does it justice. It really should end up being the best video game - movie conversion.

Post #: 4
- 7/3/2014 9:57:34 AM   
zeech1941

For Joel - Josh Brolin, George Clooney but it has to be Christian Bale. And he looks good in a beard.
For Ellie - Hailee Steinfeld, Emma Watson but I think Elle Fanning

Post #: 5
RE: - 7/3/2014 10:19:29 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: zeech1941

For Joel - Josh Brolin, George Clooney but it has to be Christian Bale. And he looks good in a beard.
For Ellie - Hailee Steinfeld, Emma Watson but I think Elle Fanning

Good call on Elle Fanning. I think she could pull it off.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to zeech1941)
Post #: 6
Will be better than the game - 7/3/2014 11:23:48 AM   
RSJ87

Surprised at some of the concerns here, I think this was both inevitable and is to be welcomed. The Last of Us was a good game but it'll be much better as a film - when playing as Joel there were things I wanted to differently, especially the big decision at the end (I think the term is ludonarrative dissonance). This story is best experienced non-interactively.

Post #: 7
RE: Will be better than the game - 7/3/2014 1:18:57 PM   
Hood_Man

Why Have I Only Just Noticed That Every First Letter In Each Word Is In Uppercase?

(in reply to RSJ87)
Post #: 8
I like the director choice here... - 7/3/2014 3:45:43 PM   
mattyboy250

For Joel for some reason I see Jeffery Dean Morgan, for Ellie hmm....would have to go with the already mentioned Elle Fanning.

Post #: 9
RE: Will be better than the game - 7/3/2014 6:02:34 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: RSJ87

The Last of Us was a good game but it'll be much better as a film - when playing as Joel there were things I wanted to differently, especially the big decision at the end (I think the term is ludonarrative dissonance). This story is best experienced non-interactively.

No, it won't.

The reason it worked so well is because of the interactive elements - it was top tier storytelling for the *medium of gaming*. It lasts around 9 hours, has lots of direct input that makes you feel a particular way as you become attached to the characters because you control the violence, choose when to look at optional dialogue and have to manage their skills and health. All we are gonna get here is a 90 minute mess of rehashed ideas from the game, that were already well work survival and horror tropes.

Oh and they will change the ending, but not for the better. It fit the character development - and was nothing like anyone would every do for a movie like this.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to RSJ87)
Post #: 10
Gerard Butler - 7/3/2014 10:28:19 PM   
brendo81

Gerard Butler, a la Law Abiding Citizen. Perfect example that he could play a character like Joel. Know how to rock a beard as well.

Post #: 11
RE: Will be better than the game - 8/3/2014 11:11:00 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: RSJ87

The Last of Us was a good game but it'll be much better as a film - when playing as Joel there were things I wanted to differently, especially the big decision at the end (I think the term is ludonarrative dissonance). This story is best experienced non-interactively.

No, it won't.

The reason it worked so well is because of the interactive elements - it was top tier storytelling for the *medium of gaming*. It lasts around 9 hours, has lots of direct input that makes you feel a particular way as you become attached to the characters because you control the violence, choose when to look at optional dialogue and have to manage their skills and health. All we are gonna get here is a 90 minute mess of rehashed ideas from the game, that were already well work survival and horror tropes.

Oh and they will change the ending, but not for the better. It fit the character development - and was nothing like anyone would every do for a movie like this.

It's a superb game - and it absolutely can be a superb movie with the right cast, writer and director. Also, with Neil Druckmann on script writing duties there is ZERO chance that they'll change the ending. It is what made the game so superb. A number of his team when making the game tried to get him to change the ending but he refused.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 12
Why not just re-cast Avengers' Ashley Johnson as Ellie? - 8/3/2014 12:10:53 PM   
hasmap

Ellen Page wouldn't do the film after her damning criticism of the charater likeness on twitter. Secondly, why not just re-cast Ashley Johnson back into the role? Ellie is based on her likeness and she knows the charater well. And its not like she doesn't have any non VG credits, Avengers Assemble, Emma Stone's The Help, The Mentalist, CSI and Joss Wheadon clearly saw something in her to cast not only in Avengers(small role but aslo has a lengthy deleted scene with Chris Evans' Cap and Stan Lee) and Much a Do about nothing.

< Message edited by hasmap -- 8/3/2014 12:19:10 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Why not just re-cast Avengers' Ashley Johnson as El... - 8/3/2014 10:41:55 PM   
doug64

The only problem with making this into a film is we have already seen it because as everyone has pointed out, It's pretty much a movie anyway. It's going to be like the first half of the amazing Spiderman all over again.

(in reply to hasmap)
Post #: 14
RE: Why not just re-cast Avengers' Ashley Johnson as El... - 9/3/2014 12:30:23 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: hasmap

Ellen Page wouldn't do the film after her damning criticism of the charater likeness on twitter.

Except they sensibly changed the face before release, she just happened to be shown the old press images

Meanwhile...

(in reply to hasmap)
Post #: 15
I'll be the firs to say it then... - 10/3/2014 4:21:00 PM   
manufan

Nathan Fillian!
Boom!

Post #: 16
Josh Brolin has to be Joel - 15/4/2014 3:11:59 AM   
Animeamy

I'm watching Old Boy right now and he reminds me so much of Joel in this movie. With a beard he is the spitting image of Joel. Add that he's a great actor on top of that! It's perfect!

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sam Raimi Wants To Bring The Last Of US To Cinemas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI