A piracy question...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> A piracy question... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 5:24:52 PM   
UTB

There's a film that was released last year. An independent film with what I gather from the trailer contains some stunning cinematography.

At present, the film is only available in the US (I'm in UK), and on DVD. I could import the DVD, but I, with a blu-ray player, would much prefer to see it in pristine 1080p picture to drool over said cinematography.

And yet... if I am so inclined, I can download a full 1080p version from a torrent site. And it is a 1080p version (not some sort of scam with a RAR of viruses), I've checked. In fact, I've already done so. I'm yet to watch the film.

Usually, I'm against piracy, and I'm even thinking about buying the DVD just to offset my criminal actions (and it is a crime, no debate).

That said, and here's the question... why in the name of modern fucknology am I able to steal a better version than I can buy, regardless of whether I import or not? I would happily pay full whack, customs and all, for the full monty.

Thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 7:04:38 PM   
rich

Piracy is bad, and you should feel bad.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 2
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 7:06:07 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

There's a film that was released last year. An independent film with what I gather from the trailer contains some stunning cinematography.

At present, the film is only available in the US (I'm in UK), and on DVD. I could import the DVD, but I, with a blu-ray player, would much prefer to see it in pristine 1080p picture to drool over said cinematography.

And yet... if I am so inclined, I can download a full 1080p version from a torrent site. And it is a 1080p version (not some sort of scam with a RAR of viruses), I've checked. In fact, I've already done so. I'm yet to watch the film.

Usually, I'm against piracy, and I'm even thinking about buying the DVD just to offset my criminal actions (and it is a crime, no debate).

That said, and here's the question... why in the name of modern fucknology am I able to steal a better version than I can buy, regardless of whether I import or not? I would happily pay full whack, customs and all, for the full monty.

Thoughts?

Nice to see you have consider it.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 7:18:35 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Thoughts?

Nice to see you have consider it.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 4
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 7:54:10 PM   
rich

Well if the movie was not on DVD at all, nobody would think twice. Legally you are in the wrong, but morally that's down to you I suppose. The distributors don't want people importing after all and neither do the folks putting high duties on stuff. Suppose it depends whether it bothers you personally... which obviously it doesn't since you went and did it already.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 5
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 8:05:30 PM   
elab49

I'm intrigued how the torrents can provide the 1080p but there's no Blu Ray release - is it possible there IS one somewhere?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 6
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 8:33:03 PM   
sanchia

Watch the film but flagellate yourself the whole time it is on.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 9:04:17 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm intrigued how the torrents can provide the 1080p but there's no Blu Ray release - is it possible there IS one somewhere?

My guess would that be it is provided in HD on a rental site like Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Instant and has been ripped. The film is currently only out in US & Canada, and both only have a DVD only release.

I know I'm in the wrong, not arguing that.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 9:10:04 PM   
elab49

Would using a VPN to access US Netflix be a solution for you or could you not link that to your TV? (I understand some can via a PS3 or similar)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 9
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 9:26:43 PM   
UTB

I can't do that with my TV. My blu ray player has Netflix on it (which I subscribe to) but I don't think I can change the country without ballsing around with the router, plus the film isn't on US netflix (yet).

I suppose my original frustration was: I have an HD TV with a Blu Ray player (that I've paid to have modded to allow multiregion), yet I can't legally watch the film in HD. I guess if by some miracle we were to get a Blu release in the UK/Europe then I should have just been patient, but seeing as the US didn't get one it seems unlikely.

Its not exactly a low-profile film, either. Did well at the festivals/mentioned in Empire, won some awards... its irritating. I don't want to watch films on my laptop either (the plan was to watch it via USB on my big-ass TV). I'm not trying to justify my stealing it. It just doesn't make sense to me not to bother releasing it on Blu. I'm sure this is a financial decision. For which I've now made worse.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 9:28:59 PM   
elab49

Can I ask what the film is? (Understand if not )

quote:

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 11
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 9:34:57 PM   
UTB

PM'd

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 9:37:33 PM   
elab49

Hope that helps your quandary

quote:

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 13
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 9:42:39 PM   
UTB

It does.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 9:44:51 PM   
UTB

Well, it turns out the film is getting an Australian Blu release and I'm just a thieving, impatient bastard. Thanks to Elab who has very kindly sent me the info. Lesson learnt.

< Message edited by UTB -- 2/3/2014 9:52:45 PM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15
RE: A piracy question... - 2/3/2014 10:54:04 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Do I have to watch the film to excuse my flagelation?

OK, this is something I've brought up before... if, say, you are dying to see a film or TV show but can't get hold of it for one reason or another... would you guys consider it ok if you got hold of it via the means we're discussing, then supported it via getting hold of the DVD / Blu?

Example... I refused to see DREDD because there were no 2D showings in my neighbourhood, but a mate gave me a cheeky download... likewise love GAME OF THRONES but I refuse to get SKY for the usual reasons... so again, it's my mate sticking it on a memory chip... but in both cases, I paid top whack for BLU releases...

Surely myself occasionally watching 'pirate' downloads can be excused because I have paid for them... eventually... and probably paid more for them than I would have done in the first instance..?

Say what now?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 16
RE: A piracy question... - 3/3/2014 9:38:34 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

OK, this is something I've brought up before... if, say, you are dying to see a film or TV show but can't get hold of it for one reason or another... would you guys consider it ok if you got hold of it via the means we're discussing, then supported it via getting hold of the DVD / Blu?

Example... I refused to see DREDD because there were no 2D showings in my neighbourhood, but a mate gave me a cheeky download... likewise love GAME OF THRONES but I refuse to get SKY for the usual reasons... so again, it's my mate sticking it on a memory chip... but in both cases, I paid top whack for BLU releases...

Surely myself occasionally watching 'pirate' downloads can be excused because I have paid for them... eventually... and probably paid more for them than I would have done in the first instance..?

Would you still pay for them eventually if the film was shit?

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17
RE: A piracy question... - 3/3/2014 10:53:15 AM   
shool

quote:

likewise love GAME OF THRONES but I refuse to get SKY for the usual reasons...

Now TV is your friend for this one. Tis only a fiver a month if you subscribe before the end of this month I believe.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 18
RE: A piracy question... - 3/3/2014 3:38:10 PM   
FoximusPrime

But is the issue not that Mister Coe refuses to give Sky his money, which means Now TV is still out as it's Sky by another name?

On the morality scale, I think I could commit a long series of sadistic murders and still be cleaner than News Int and its subsidiaries, so I agree that downloading TV shows they've bought in isn't as heinous as it might otherwise be - especially if buying them later anyway.

Downloading TV shows seems less wrong to me as:
a) the show may not air in the UK
b) it may be massively delayed in the UK (C4 / E4, I'm looking at you!)
c) UK channels may mess the audience about with shite scheduling e.g. Archer on 5*, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nickelodeon - both massively delayed and poorly scheduled, and both of which I've resorted to downloading as a result.

The caveat here is that, if someone is downloading a TV show, I would hope it's because they enjoy it and would therefore eventually buy it considering the time they've invested i.e. showing their appreciation; I do this with Archer and will with TMNT when available. In contrast, I could easily imagine film downloaders may see a film as throwaway entertainment which only needs a couple of hours of their time and even less effort, so they'd watch it and maybe not buy even if they enjoyed it (no evidence for that).

I can't condone downloading films, however the one exception I would say is this little anecdote: I went to watch Saving Mr Banks with Mrs F but we had to leave an hour in to collect the offspring from nursery as she had apparently become ill (phone call taken outside, notified by phone on vibrate, naturally). If I could be arsed downloading that film before the Blu release, I wouldn't feel guilty watching it since Disney got money for two tickets from us which we never got to use (although I would have to delete it once seen and possibly burn the memory card just to rest comfortably).

However, as it stands, I can't be arsed downloading it. Besides, it could be a gateway to worse behaviour. Like a long series of sadistic murders. Or working for Murdoch.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 19
RE: A piracy question... - 3/3/2014 7:38:29 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Would you still pay for them eventually if the film was shit?

Ha, UTB, I was hoping that was something that wouldn't be brought up, you found the flaw in my masterplan...

It hasn't come up yet, that's the only answer I can give you. I don't make a habit of watching illegal downloads... I target the things that I love then pay it back. I know what I like and I'm not often wrong.

I have friends who were trying to get along in the music business, a couple of them got signed, yet failed to make an impact... their cut of their record sales was dismal whilst others downloaded for free...

Say what now?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 20
RE: A piracy question... - 4/3/2014 11:32:00 AM   
Dpp1978

The piracy debate is interesting in a lot of ways. There are really two aspects to deal with: the legal and the moral.

The legal side is very easy to deal with. If you download, stream or copy any piece of filmed media which is not in the public domain in its entirety, from any source not licensed by the rights holder for such use, you are acting unlawfully. That isn't to say the issue itself isn't incredibly complex. Even the question of whether it is a civil or criminal offence has plenty of fodder for extensive academic debate. But it suffices to say that anyone partaking in any of these activities is breaking at least one law and has the (very remote) possibility of being held accountable.

When you take the stance that it is unlawful, it becomes a question of how we justify it to ourselves and to others. This is the side of the debate that I find most interesting. If we polarise the argument on one side you have those who believe that all information should be freely distributed and pirate all of their media. On the other you have those who will only obtain their media from a legitimate source so as to give the rights holders their dues. Both sides may argue they are acting entirely morally, and both can do so entirely rationally purely down the subjectivity of personal morality.

Of course most of us who do partake in the occasional illicit download fall somewhere between these two extremes and our reasons to justify our behaviour will probably mirror our personal perspective on the debate. Personally I would find it easier to absolve myself for pirating the product of a massive corporation than than I would for that of a tiny independent company. The loss would be far more keenly felt by latter, which is something demonstrated by Mister Coe's example above. But even so I'm making an arbitrary distinction based on my personal views which serve only to assuage any guilt I might feel for my behaviour. Ultimately someone will be making a loss from my behaviour: which is wrong, no matter how well placed they might be to absorb that loss.

On a slight tangent: one of the more fascinating aspects of this topic is how, fuelled by the internet, we have come to expect all media to be readily available for our consumption on demand and in a form which most readily suits our demands. This is a very new phenomena and one with which the traditional media distribution models are only now beginning to catch up. If we can't get something through legitimate means we are becoming increasingly comfortable with getting it otherwise.

This is something the content providers need to get ahead of as their situation will only grow more precarious. I have read early reports that the encryption on some of the digital "prints" sent to cinemas has been defeated, potentially allowing for perfect copies of new releases to be made. I don't know how true or how widespread it has become as I am not part of that "scene" nor do I have any desire to be. But if this is the case it would be a nightmare for distributors.

A film print must be filmed or scanned. This either leads to poor results (the camcorder in the cinema job) or requires expensive equipment and/or know-how. It also requires you to obtain a bulky film print for a protracted length of time. In short it is not an easy undertaking.

But cloning the data on a digital print is, I believe, much less difficult but ultimately pointless as long as the files remain encrypted. However if the encryption is broken you have access to what is essentially a full quality studio master: something of higher quality than even the best Blu-ray and from which copies, in any format and at any quality level, could be made. If these get in to the hands of the "scene" all bets will be off. The only barrier is how computationally expensive it is to break the encryption, and the computing power available per currency unit grows almost exponentially year on year.

If the product provided by the pirates is as good as (or even better than) that officially released by the rights holders, especially during the all important initial theatrical release, it is only our morals and/or fear of prosecution that will keep them in business.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 21
RE: A piracy question... - 4/3/2014 7:40:27 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

The piracy debate is interesting in a lot of ways. There are really two aspects to deal with: the legal and the moral.

The legal side is very easy to deal with. If you download, stream or copy any piece of filmed media which is not in the public domain in its entirety, from any source not licensed by the rights holder for such use, you are acting unlawfully. That isn't to say the issue itself isn't incredibly complex. Even the question of whether it is a civil or criminal offence has plenty of fodder for extensive academic debate. But it suffices to say that anyone partaking in any of these activities is breaking at least one law and has the (very remote) possibility of being held accountable.

When you take the stance that it is unlawful, it becomes a question of how we justify it to ourselves and to others. This is the side of the debate that I find most interesting. If we polarise the argument on one side you have those who believe that all information should be freely distributed and pirate all of their media. On the other you have those who will only obtain their media from a legitimate source so as to give the rights holders their dues. Both sides may argue they are acting entirely morally, and both can do so entirely rationally purely down the subjectivity of personal morality.

Of course most of us who do partake in the occasional illicit download fall somewhere between these two extremes and our reasons to justify our behaviour will probably mirror our personal perspective on the debate. Personally I would find it easier to absolve myself for pirating the product of a massive corporation than than I would for that of a tiny independent company. The loss would be far more keenly felt by latter, which is something demonstrated by Mister Coe's example above. But even so I'm making an arbitrary distinction based on my personal views which serve only to assuage any guilt I might feel for my behaviour. Ultimately someone will be making a loss from my behaviour: which is wrong, no matter how well placed they might be to absorb that loss.

On a slight tangent: one of the more fascinating aspects of this topic is how, fuelled by the internet, we have come to expect all media to be readily available for our consumption on demand and in a form which most readily suits our demands. This is a very new phenomena and one with which the traditional media distribution models are only now beginning to catch up. If we can't get something through legitimate means we are becoming increasingly comfortable with getting it otherwise.

This is something the content providers need to get ahead of as their situation will only grow more precarious. I have read early reports that the encryption on some of the digital "prints" sent to cinemas has been defeated, potentially allowing for perfect copies of new releases to be made. I don't know how true or how widespread it has become as I am not part of that "scene" nor do I have any desire to be. But if this is the case it would be a nightmare for distributors.

A film print must be filmed or scanned. This either leads to poor results (the camcorder in the cinema job) or requires expensive equipment and/or know-how. It also requires you to obtain a bulky film print for a protracted length of time. In short it is not an easy undertaking.

But cloning the data on a digital print is, I believe, much less difficult but ultimately pointless as long as the files remain encrypted. However if the encryption is broken you have access to what is essentially a full quality studio master: something of higher quality than even the best Blu-ray and from which copies, in any format and at any quality level, could be made. If these get in to the hands of the "scene" all bets will be off. The only barrier is how computationally expensive it is to break the encryption, and the computing power available per currency unit grows almost exponentially year on year.

If the product provided by the pirates is as good as (or even better than) that officially released by the rights holders, especially during the all important initial theatrical release, it is only our morals and/or fear of prosecution that will keep them in business.

Excellent post mate. For the record, I'm now signed up to NOW TV, so it's completely legal for me to watch GOT in April...

It's great that SKY have finally figured out that if you massively limit the availability of shows that people are dying to watch, they will find it elsewhere... the old SKY business model is dead and gone. Show it exclusively on your expensive channels, that many folks can't afford, then release it on DVD (finally) ten months later... it's no wonder that so many people are going to alternative sources...

I believe in paying for my entertainment, unlike so many people I know... but I can't deny that I've watched the odd naughty download... seriously, who here hasn't? I remember a dodgy VHS of ET when I was VERY young... likewise, has nobody here ever had a ripped CD or (this might date you) a cassette copy of your mates album?

Exclusive availability of a film or TV show is dead and gone... so the only way to fight piracy is to make it available to all at a decent price.

In my silly opinion, anyway...

Say what now?

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 22
RE: A piracy question... - 5/3/2014 12:46:28 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

Excellent post mate. For the record, I'm now signed up to NOW TV, so it's completely legal for me to watch GOT in April...

It's great that SKY have finally figured out that if you massively limit the availability of shows that people are dying to watch, they will find it elsewhere... the old SKY business model is dead and gone. Show it exclusively on your expensive channels, that many folks can't afford, then release it on DVD (finally) ten months later... it's no wonder that so many people are going to alternative sources...

I believe in paying for my entertainment, unlike so many people I know... but I can't deny that I've watched the odd naughty download... seriously, who here hasn't? I remember a dodgy VHS of ET when I was VERY young... likewise, has nobody here ever had a ripped CD or (this might date you) a cassette copy of your mates album?

Exclusive availability of a film or TV show is dead and gone... so the only way to fight piracy is to make it available to all at a decent price.

In my silly opinion, anyway...

It isn't a silly opinion at all, and is the way media distribution seems to be heading. iTunes proved that if something is cheap enough people will pay for it rather than pirate it. However the long term effect of that was to set the de facto value of a song at about 99 cents. Another area where the bigger artists and distributors are advantaged over their smaller brethren.

There have even been limited experiments in the US where films have been made available to home viewers (at a ridiculously high price) while still in the cinema. Of course any move to do this on a wider scale will be met with stiff resistance from cinema companies; much in the same way they resist any attempt to narrow the gap between theatrical and home release. After all the chance to see a film there first is one of a cinema's key selling points. And with the rapidly narrowing quality gap between theatrical and home presentations they need to maintain any advantage they can to even survive.

The big problem at this point, at least with digital distribution, is fragmentation. There is no one service which provides you with everything you could want. iTunes probably comes closest but it ties you in to the Apple ecosystem, which is less than ideal. Streaming services like Netflix are good, but you'd need to maintain subscriptions to multiple services to even approach anything like a comprehensive selection of titles.

At least with physical media there is format cohesion. If you have a Blu-ray player you can be relatively sure that if something is released you can play it: accounting for pointless complications such as region lockouts. You also have the security of limited ownership of your media which just doesn't exist in digital distribution models.

Of course if the distributor chooses not to release their product on any format you are still out of luck. Unless of course you can find a pirate copy. Which brings us full circle.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 23
RE: A piracy question... - 5/3/2014 1:36:15 PM   
elab49

quote:

There have even been limited experiments in the US where films have been made available to home viewers (at a ridiculously high price) while still in the cinema. Of course any move to do this on a wider scale will be met with stiff resistance from cinema companies; much in the same way they resist any attempt to narrow the gap between theatrical and home release. After all the chance to see a film there first is one of a cinema's key selling points. And with the rapidly narrowing quality gap between theatrical and home presentations they need to maintain any advantage they can to even survive.

Not just the US - Curzon on Demand was one of the forerunners of this with films like Berberian and Holy Motors. The tarrif is around the 8-10, so central London cinema prices. They've continued to do it with new releases, but it's, of course, limited to arthouse. Nymphomaniac is up there now at 7.50 per part.

Interestingly the Veronica Mars movie may be going with an almost joint release strategy as well, although this still isn't finalised, even though it's out next week, but it's been discussed in the backer e-mails.

quote:

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 24
RE: A piracy question... - 5/3/2014 2:00:28 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

Not just the US - Curzon on Demand was one of the forerunners of this with films like Berberian and Holy Motors. The tarrif is around the 8-10, so central London cinema prices. They've continued to do it with new releases, but it's, of course, limited to arthouse. Nymphomaniac is up there now at 7.50 per part.

Interestingly the Veronica Mars movie may be going with an almost joint release strategy as well, although this still isn't finalised, even though it's out next week, but it's been discussed in the backer e-mails.

The one I referred to involved major studio films rather than indies. I think Hancock with Will Smith was one of the films so that would date it to around 2008. If I recall correctly the charge was at least in the hundreds of dollars per viewing and required a proprietary server. So not for the masses.

I doubt there would be too much resistance from the major chains over independent films going for a joint cinema/home release. They don't often show them anyway, and when they do they are very limited screenings. Now if a studio planned to do it on a larger scale with a summer blockbuster things would be very different.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: A piracy question... - 5/3/2014 3:02:58 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

The one I referred to involved major studio films rather than indies. I think Hancock with Will Smith was one of the films so that would date it to around 2008. If I recall correctly the charge was at least in the hundreds of dollars per viewing and required a proprietary server. So not for the masses.

I doubt there would be too much resistance from the major chains over independent films going for a joint cinema/home release. They don't often show them anyway, and when they do they are very limited screenings. Now if a studio planned to do it on a larger scale with a summer blockbuster things would be very different.

I hadn't been aware of that all - I remember the range of the discussion when Soderbergh tried his experiment but didn't notice Hancock mentioned then

quote:

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 26
RE: A piracy question... - 6/3/2014 8:50:19 PM   
Jared.Bodner

quote:

I think that's totally fair. If the people who like a film pay for it, then piracy by those same people doesn't do any real harm. Especially if, like you, they'd be willing to pay for a future blu ray release too.

quote:

One reason is production costs. Blu rays cost more to manufacture than DVDs, and if they don't think they'll sell enough copies to make a blu ray production run worthwhile, then a distributor won't do it. Even though blu rays are a lot more widespread now, there are still more possible DVD customers out there than blu ray buyers...

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27
RE: A piracy question... - 6/3/2014 9:02:35 PM   
Mister Coe

Gotta ask, Jared, what is the difference in production costs between Blu and DVD?

Not disputing what you're saying, I'm genuinely curious.

Say what now?

(in reply to Jared.Bodner)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> A piracy question... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI