Confusing Accents

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Confusing Accents Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 4:25:54 PM   
Whistler

So I just watched The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and I was struck by how every character had a distinctly English accent. At first I thought the family was supposed to be English, but when it turned out they were all Nazis I realised that just couldn't be the case - and demonstrably it wasn't. Turns out everyone in the film just speaks in said accent, from Germans to Poles, and it requires a huge suspension of disbelief.

Usually when a film decides not to subtitle the characters they at least speak in the particular accent of whichever country it happens to be, which is why I found it so strange that TBITSP had Nazis speaking like upper class Englishmen. I have to say I found it jarring, and while some of the ideas in the film are powerful, ultimately I found it hard to believe in what I was seeing. Such an odd decision.

Are there any other examples like this? When characters not only don't speak in the right language, but not even the right accent?

Post #: 1
RE: Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 4:45:19 PM   
Judge

Valkyrie was guilty of this.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 2
RE: Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 4:54:31 PM   
Hood_Man

Amadeus is another one where the actors keep their own accents and speak English.

I actually prefer it this way. If cast members put on anything less than perfect, or at least believable accents, I just can't believe the portrayal they're trying to pull off and therefore find it to be very distracting when they try to perform.

I find it's the same when I watch an actor doing an impression of somebody as well. Albert Finney's portrayal of Winston Churchill was far more natural to me than Timothy Spall's in The King's Speech, even if Spall made more of an attempt at pulling off the accent and the mannerisms.

Unfortunately it kills the illusion for me.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 5:30:27 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Amadeus is another one where the actors keep their own accents and speak English.

I actually prefer it this way. If cast members put on anything less than perfect, or at least believable accents, I just can't believe the portrayal they're trying to pull off and therefore find it to be very distracting when they try to perform.

I find it's the same when I watch an actor doing an impression of somebody as well. Albert Finney's portrayal of Winston Churchill was far more natural to me than Timothy Spall's in The King's Speech, even if Spall made more of an attempt at pulling off the accent and the mannerisms.

Unfortunately it kills the illusion for me.

I can see where you're coming from, but unless it's a truly awful attempt at an accent, I'd rather they at least tried.

That being said, it didn't bother me in Fincher's Dragon Tattoo, so I'm kind of eating my own words. Perhaps such an example is less problematic because technically it's an "American" remake, but it is still set in Sweden...

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 4
RE: Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 5:48:13 PM   
Deviation

The Swedish accent, when it comes to speaking English, is quite close to the ones in the USA though, at least that is my experience in sometimes hearing them speak in English.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 5
RE: Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 6:48:00 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Conspiracy (the HBO ... I think ... TV drama with Kenneth Branagh, Colin Firth etc) was interesting. They had a mix of actors in that, from Geordie, RP, Irish, American etc and had everyone speaking their natural accents. It was a little odd at first but you quickly forgot about it and I remember seeing the producers talking about it and saying it had been a conscious decision to reflect the differing accents between German regions. In the same way people from city to city speak with strikingly different accents in the UK, they do in Germany and there's no such thing as a 'generic' German accent, but this is what people had been hearing for decades in the movies (they cited Schindler's List as being criminal for this) and therefore their use of natural accents was more truthful/realistic than attempting a single German accent.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6
RE: Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 7:11:44 PM   
Mister Coe

HIGHLANDER, anyone...

'Thaay can BEE ownlay WAAN!'

Obvious, I know, but someone had to say it...

Say what now?

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 7
RE: Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 7:48:41 PM   
ElephantBoy

Merie Anternette Dunst never attempts a French accent. Doesn't bother me really, but it is quite a striking example.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 8
RE: Confusing Accents - 16/2/2014 8:55:48 PM   
kumar

Enemy at the Gates was all over the shop but there was no attempt at any accent in particular, rather just plain actor voices.

Worst case I can think of is Gangs of New York which I watched last night.... terrible terrible attempts at Irish accents. Horrid - really spoiled what little enjoyment I found in that film.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 9
RE: Confusing Accents - 17/2/2014 8:54:59 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Daniel Craig in Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake. It's extra baffling as EVERYONE else in the movie speaks with a Swedish accent except him.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 10
RE: Confusing Accents - 17/2/2014 8:32:50 PM   
Cool Breeze

Everyone in Troy.The'' greeks '' all sound english,american,australian,irish (etc).

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 17/2/2014 8:33:10 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 11
RE: Confusing Accents - 17/2/2014 9:06:48 PM   
UTB

Stephen Graham in anything, but mostly Public Enemies.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 12
RE: Confusing Accents - 17/2/2014 9:10:42 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Everyone in Troy.The'' greeks '' all sound english,american,australian,irish (etc).

I just lost a little bet with myself.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 13
RE: Confusing Accents - 17/2/2014 9:21:34 PM   
galvatron

Vigo Mortenson in The Return of The King. He must've had a sore throat that day...

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14
RE: Confusing Accents - 17/2/2014 11:33:10 PM   
rich

Having all the British voices lends certains films a theatrical feel though, as long as they're swords and sandals type stories.

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I just lost a little bet with myself.

I cannot confirm or refute said wager with myself.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Confusing Accents Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI