Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What would stop you from watching a potentially bad film?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What would stop you from watching a potentially bad film? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What would stop you from watching a potentially bad film? - 9/2/2014 9:35:43 PM   
Jonezy123

Ok, a big discussion I've had with many people this last week is 'where do you draw the line before refusing to watch a potentially bad film'?

It follows my absolute refusal to watch the remake of Robocop as released last week, not only because of my total love of the original, but because of the bad hype surrounding the new release. Now, the argument almost everybody shoves at me is obviously:

'how do you know it's bad if you don't watch it'?

No I'm sorry, this is not a valid response anymore given the wealth of information available on all major releases online, and in film mags these days. It is possible to gain enough knowledge of a release well before its release to decide whether or not to part with your well earned money.

So my question to you, fellow movie fans is where do you draw the line? When do you say to Hollywood; 'No, I refuse your weak remake of Robocop (or whatever film), I want a decent film, preferably inventive, with a strong script and well directed. Not a lazy hack job to cash in on a brand because you hold the rights.

So please, no direct opinions on Robocop, just tell me when you think you would/should just say no.
Post #: 1
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 10:11:56 PM   
Whistler

No-one else will ever sway me from watching a film, no matter what they say. I only won't watch something if I don't want to watch it.

And sorry, but I have to say my direct opinion on Robocop is that it's surprisingly good. Give it a chance.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 2
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 10:29:09 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I only won't watch something if I don't want to watch it.

The question is; what makes you not want to watch a film? Where is the line?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 10:33:34 PM   
Hood_Man

Time is the thing that gets in the way of me watching films. If I think a film will be great then I'll make the time by rearranging my schedule, but if it looks poor then I won't make the effort.

If I have the time however, I'll go and see it.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 4
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 10:36:39 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Time is the thing that gets in the way of me watching films. If I think a film will be great then I'll make the time by rearranging my schedule, but if it looks poor then I won't make the effort.

Is this based on the trailer? Internet buzz? Film critics opinion? The director or cast? Mates opinions?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 10:50:12 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonezy123

quote:

I'll watch almost anything; I enjoy checking out both films I know I'll like and those I'm not so keen on, because once in a while a gem crops up that I might never have otherwise seen. Generally, though, what puts me off is someone like Danny Dyer, or any football/British hooligan film. There are a few certain things I'm just not interested in.

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 6
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 11:07:23 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll watch almost anything; I enjoy checking out both films I know I'll like and those I'm not so keen on, because once in a while a gem crops up that I might never have otherwise seen. Generally, though, what puts me off is someone like Danny Dyer, or any football/British hooligan film. There are a few certain things I'm just not interested in.

ok, so basically you'll watch anything of a certain genre, if it generally interests you?

I'm all for checking out a wide range of films to uncover these gems, there's a plethora of films out there which would be lost forever without this attitude. However;

I'm asking about something more specific. And I'll tell you why. I lost patience with Hollywood after one lazy blockbuster too many last year. Specifically Man of Steel. It was for me the most disappointing film I've EVER watched. It was just a lazy cash in, a hatchett job designed by a commitee and written and directed by hacks. After it finished I vowed to never watch another film without asking myself the question; 'have the filmakers done this properly'?

Now I know the answer will always be subjective, but until then I'd always given it 'the benefit of the doubt' just incase.

No more. This general opinion amongst movie fans means these films make money no matter what. When bad films are watched 'just so someone can form their own opinion' the hacks have us by the balls.

From now on I judge a film based on what I read on the internet, film critics opinions, general buzz, the trailer, who has directed it, who is stars (or not). A wide range. I refuse to line the pockets of hacks and lazy producers. They need to earn it.

I choose to search out original and creative films instead of mass appeal fodder. Hollywood I say no. Stop with the rubbish. Produce original films. Great films. Scripted by proper script writers not some director who got lucky with their previous film (director of Elysium Neill Blomkamp, I'm looking at you!! You don't undertsand basic story telling!!).

Basically I've gotten bored of the dross. I've drawn a line.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 7
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 11:21:31 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Is this based on the trailer? Internet buzz? Film critics opinion? The director or cast? Mates opinions?

Pretty much all or some of those, really. If a film has a critical embargo on and no reviews are available for me to see beforehand, and I plan on seeing it opening day, I'll usually just see it based on the trailer and/or cast and director

Mind you, I do have a Cineworld card that allows me to see unlimited films for a set amount each month, so that allows me the freedom to see pretty much anything.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 8
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 11:27:01 PM   
rich

The opposite really. I will watch a film regardless of bad press, word of mouth etc, if I want to see I it I will. If I actually wanted to see RoboCop being churned out again because of some interest in the director, cast or whatever I would. Fact is I couldn't care less. That initial level of interest is what gets me involved rather than anything that comes after, since you can't account for taste.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 9
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 9/2/2014 11:30:59 PM   
Whistler

You have a point, but as you also say, it's all subjective. Also, no matter how much tosh is thrown at us every year, there always have and always will be quality films being made.

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 10
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 8:29:46 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Nothing will stop me, I'll gladly watch a bad movie

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 11
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 8:43:55 AM   
Chronicle

I usually check a lot of reviews on the internet before watching a movie, which is not always a good thing but it gives me a good idea of what to expect.

But to be honest I usually decide not to watch a film after a bad trailer. And then there are a couple of actors or directors that I tend to avoid.

If I look at my watched movie-list I see that most of the scores I gave to films are usually pretty high so I think this works out for me.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 12
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 12:32:00 PM   
ElephantBoy

In terms of remakes such as Robocop, I will partly judge it in terms of has enough time past between the original and the remake, is it the sort of film which can be remade well (this might depend on how good I consider the original), and are they doing much new with it. In the case of the new Robocop I think there is enough there to make me think it is worth it.

Director's and cast, play a big part for me. Reviews actually make little difference even if they are by critics I respect.

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 13
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 12:43:24 PM   
FoximusPrime

I tend to base the decision of whether or not I watch a film on i) trusted reviews - I tend to agree with Empire and Kermode enough (though not always) to not feel the need to look in many other places - ii) whether I have the time to waste (usually if there are better / more anticipated films out at the same time) because I just don't have the time to spend a day in the cinema these days, partly because of iii) the increasing cost of the cinema.

Basically it's a cost-benefit situation. Is the cost of perceived quality, time and money actually worth it? In the case of Robocop, The Amazing Spider-man, and others I had to decide against them. However, that's where the likes of Netflix comes in handy. And I can see the likes of a Cineworld card, as Hood_Man said, taking the pressure off too.

Also, like the OP, I increasingly find myself considering whether or not I want my ticket money to encourage cynical practice by the studios. If I go to watch Scorcher VI only to find it's the piece of shit I thought it would be and all the reviews said it was, I can't really complain when Scorcher VII gets greenlit.

That was actually another reason I avoided The Amazing Spider-man: I didn't want to condone the endless cycle of reboots as soon as the cast changes in a franchise.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 14
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 12:57:58 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

No I'm sorry, this is not a valid response anymore given the wealth of information available on all major releases online, and in film mags these days. It is possible to gain enough knowledge of a release well before its release to decide whether or not to part with your well earned money.

With all due respect this is a slightly narrow minded attitude to films, I feel.

There are certainly some critics and media outlets that I respect and enjoy reading, but I ulitmately trust my own instincts when it comes to evaluating whether I want to watch a film or not. There have been some films that have received a mixed critical reaction and I've enjoyed immensely (Cloud Atlas; Sunshine on Leith) and there are some films that are critically lauded but I have no interest in watching or just out right hated.

I mean, it's totally up to you but I feel with this attitude you're missing out on something with which you may have a connection.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 10/2/2014 12:59:32 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 15
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 2:40:32 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Nothing will stop me, I'll gladly watch a bad movie

And dont we know it.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 16
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 4:35:31 PM   
giggity

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ok, so basically you'll watch anything of a certain genre, if it generally interests you?

I'm all for checking out a wide range of films to uncover these gems, there's a plethora of films out there which would be lost forever without this attitude. However;

I'm asking about something more specific. And I'll tell you why. I lost patience with Hollywood after one lazy blockbuster too many last year. Specifically Man of Steel. It was for me the most disappointing film I've EVER watched. It was just a lazy cash in, a hatchett job designed by a commitee and written and directed by hacks. After it finished I vowed to never watch another film without asking myself the question; 'have the filmakers done this properly'?

Now I know the answer will always be subjective, but until then I'd always given it 'the benefit of the doubt' just incase.

No more. This general opinion amongst movie fans means these films make money no matter what. When bad films are watched 'just so someone can form their own opinion' the hacks have us by the balls.

From now on I judge a film based on what I read on the internet, film critics opinions, general buzz, the trailer, who has directed it, who is stars (or not). A wide range. I refuse to line the pockets of hacks and lazy producers. They need to earn it.

I choose to search out original and creative films instead of mass appeal fodder. Hollywood I say no. Stop with the rubbish. Produce original films. Great films. Scripted by proper script writers not some director who got lucky with their previous film (director of Elysium Neill Blomkamp, I'm looking at you!! You don't undertsand basic story telling!!).

Basically I've gotten bored of the dross. I've drawn a line.

While Man Of Steel is a film with many problems (I still enjoyed it, but MANY problems) I think you need to re-asses why you don't like it as 'hatchet job' would indicate it was something which destroyed a franchise/character which it hasn't by the fact it's getting a sequel and was successful at the box office.
'designed by committee' insinuating that the film had many hands in the pot when really it's a film of quite a singular shared vision of Nolan/Snyder/Goyer and you can see that quite clearly (Marvel studios films are designed by committee but ironically are still good).
'hack's' would be people who possessed no particular vision and who coasted from job to job doing the bare minimum trying to get their next meal ticket. You can dislike Goyer and Snyder's work but you can't say that they aren't invested in what they're doing, Snyder in particular has a quite unique visual style and works pretty hard at the films he makes.
'have the filmmakers done this properly' is only a question you can answer once you've seen the film, and even then what designates as properly? I would put it to you that you simply did not enjoy their interpretation of the character/story which is completely fine, but you need to work on describing why rather than heaping accusations/terms which do not fit the film.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 17
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 6:17:40 PM   
musht

I know what I like so I know what to look out for in reviews and trailers. For example when Kermode said that The Master contained great performance but nothing much happened, I knew it wouldn't be my kind of film. Similarly when I saw the trailer for The Lego Movie, I knew it would be worth a punt as I just knew it was my kind of humour and tone, I just had to hope all the best bits weren't in the trailer. The people involved as well, writers, directors, etc. Other people's tastes as well. I like Kermode, but I find that personally I can't agree with his sense of humour, I don't say "he thinks that's funny, I'll hate it" or vice versa, I just pay pay no mind to his reviews of comedies. Friends as well, if certain friends recommend films I usually know what to expect and whether I'll agree or not.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 18
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 7:52:03 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

Also, no matter how much tosh is thrown at us every year, there always have and always will be quality films being made.

Absolutely agree, there's so many good films available. Even though I've always been a fan of the leftfield and alternative direction, I'm now even more determined to support them than waste my time and money on the dross often churned out by the mainstream. I'm not against the mainstream, far from it, I love movies, but Hollywood doesn't seem to have learned that blockbusters can be done intelligently. The new dawn promised by Inception and The Batman trilogy didn't arrive.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 19
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 7:53:50 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

I usually check a lot of reviews on the internet before watching a movie, which is not always a good thing but it gives me a good idea of what to expect.

But to be honest I usually decide not to watch a film after a bad trailer. And then there are a couple of actors or directors that I tend to avoid.

If I look at my watched movie-list I see that most of the scores I gave to films are usually pretty high so I think this works out for me.

Great to hear you put some thought into it, rather than blindly following a franchise or genre

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 20
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 7:59:18 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

With all due respect this is a slightly narrow minded attitude to films, I feel.

I think I may not have put my argument acroos well enough. My viewpoint is extremely open minded. I am constantly looking for alternative films, creative films, films that may have been missed or gone under the radar. I love movies, absolutely love them....when they're done right.

My issue is people watching a film because it is of a certain genre. Or watching a film that's probably bad (based on research, or general opinion, or the trailer) just to make your mind up. Surely the info is available these days to know in advance.

Personally I think you'll miss so many great films because you wasted time and money watching some dross because it's a big release.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 21
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 8:10:59 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

While Man Of Steel is a film with many problems (I still enjoyed it, but MANY problems) I think you need to re-asses why you don't like it as 'hatchet job' would indicate it was something which destroyed a franchise/character which it hasn't by the fact it's getting a sequel and was successful at the box office.
'designed by committee' insinuating that the film had many hands in the pot when really it's a film of quite a singular shared vision of Nolan/Snyder/Goyer and you can see that quite clearly (Marvel studios films are designed by committee but ironically are still good).
'hack's' would be people who possessed no particular vision and who coasted from job to job doing the bare minimum trying to get their next meal ticket. You can dislike Goyer and Snyder's work but you can't say that they aren't invested in what they're doing, Snyder in particular has a quite unique visual style and works pretty hard at the films he makes.
'have the filmmakers done this properly' is only a question you can answer once you've seen the film, and even then what designates as properly? I would put it to you that you simply did not enjoy their interpretation of the character/story which is completely fine, but you need to work on describing why rather than heaping accusations/terms which do not fit the film.

quote:

Sorry, I just loathed Man of Steel. It was dumbed down and stupid beyond belief. It actually offended me. Whoever wrote the final draft of the script should be banned from ever being involved in cinema.

This film is the epitome of lazy, rubbish cinema. Yet I'm glad I saw it because it changed me, it gave me this viewpoint that a film needs to earn my attention. I absolutely refuse to watch films in future unless I'm convined in advance they've been done right. Proper script writing, proper direction, proper story telling, great source material, the best directors.

Robocop reboot is the latest movie to fail the test. Instead recently from the mainstream I have watched Wolf on Wall Street, 12 Years a Slave, American Hustle, Her and Dallas Buyers Club. All brilliantly done films with artisitc merit, yet all with their problems. I did my research and decided they were worth a shot.

My days of watching the others film 'to make my own mind up' are gone. Sorry Hollywood you've got to up your game. If it looks sh!te I'm out.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 22
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 8:14:27 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

quote:

Also, no matter how much tosh is thrown at us every year, there always have and always will be quality films being made.

Absolutely agree, there's so many good films available. Even though I've always been a fan of the leftfield and alternative direction, I'm now even more determined to support them than waste my time and money on the dross often churned out by the mainstream. I'm not against the mainstream, far from it, I love movies, but Hollywood doesn't seem to have learned that blockbusters can be done intelligently. The new dawn promised by Inception and The Batman trilogy didn't arrive.

The Master is a great film, brilliantly acted by a superb cast, and the script is first class. Yet most people would have dismissed it and gone for something more mainstream. I gave it a shot based on good reviews and the cast.

The Lego Movie I will catch on DVD purely because the trailer is superb and it looks genuinely funny.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 23
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 10/2/2014 8:52:33 PM   
Mister Coe

If I'm watching a film at the cinema, I'll stick with it, mainly because I'm cheap and if I've paid 7 - 9 to see a film, I want to get every last pennies worth...

If I'm at home and streaming a film, you've got 30 - 45 minutes, if you ain't grabbed me by that point, it ain't happening... I gave PACIFIC RIM, via Blinkbox, about 40minutes of my time last Sunday and turned it off...an utter shitbag of a movie..

Say what now?

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 24
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 11/2/2014 10:03:23 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

I know what I like so I know what to look out for in reviews and trailers. For example when Kermode said that The Master contained great performance but nothing much happened, I knew it wouldn't be my kind of film. Similarly when I saw the trailer for The Lego Movie, I knew it would be worth a punt as I just knew it was my kind of humour and tone, I just had to hope all the best bits weren't in the trailer. The people involved as well, writers, directors, etc. Other people's tastes as well. I like Kermode, but I find that personally I can't agree with his sense of humour, I don't say "he thinks that's funny, I'll hate it" or vice versa, I just pay pay no mind to his reviews of comedies. Friends as well, if certain friends recommend films I usually know what to expect and whether I'll agree or not.

This sums up my approach more succinctly than I did! I agree with you about Kermode on comedy and would add that I've found I can gauge Kim Newman reviews quite well too: I go with his rating if it's horror but add a star if it's non-horror (if I'm looking forward to the film, I never read the content of his reviews until I've seen it - he can't control himself when it comes to spoilers!).

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 25
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 12/2/2014 3:18:14 PM   
CP2013

How do you know that a movie is bad? By watching it! You can't possibly say oh that movie is good or that movie is bad without having seen it. What would put me off would probably be the genre...if it's something that I know I don't find interesting, then I won't watch it

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 26
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 12/2/2014 8:19:16 PM   
Onlythebassist

I tend not to see movies if they are stuffed down my throat by everyone around me. When 'The Hobbit' came out, that was literally all anyone talked to me about for about a week. Now don't get me wrong; I've seen the original LOTR series (pretty much forced by a good friend - cheers Chris, owe you one) and found it awesome, but when you are constantly told 'you MUST see this movie' it makes the prospect a bit stale.

Also nothing that tries too hard to merge genres - 'Cowboys vs Aliens'? Give me a break guys...

'You have my money taped to your tits, technically you do work for me' - Donnie, The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013

(in reply to CP2013)
Post #: 27
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 15/2/2014 2:28:58 PM   
Cool Breeze

What usually puts me off is actors that i cant stand ( Danny Dyer, Adam Sandler ), i just wont waste my time watching anything with them in it.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Onlythebassist)
Post #: 28
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 17/2/2014 7:32:29 PM   
RobsRants

If i have a strong feeling that i wont be enjoying a certain type of film, you cant pay me to see it.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 29
RE: What would stop you from watching a potentially bad... - 18/2/2014 11:06:23 AM   
Bloke from Oz

If the film has people in the industry involved whom I don't like (actors, director, producers, writers) then I won't waste my time on it.

Also, if I don't like what I see from the trailer(s), it won't get my money or time.

If the subject matter doesn't interest me, I probably won't see it.

Finally, if people give negative but THOUGHTFUL, INTELLIGENT reviews, which are persuasive and trusting of the viewer's judgement, I may (just MAY) trust their word and not see the film.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to RobsRants)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What would stop you from watching a potentially bad film? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI