Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Films about social class

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films about social class Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Films about social class - 9/2/2014 3:04:33 PM   
wdruck

I recently watched Pretty in Pink and enjoyed the film as a whole, but in particular I was interested in the themes of social class and segregation among the students. The whole idea of overcoming the social barriers between the working and upper class was a dynamic I've not seen too much of but seems like a theme that would lend itself perfectly to British films. I've done some surfing to find films covering this topic but I always seem to find myself back at the Social Realist cinema of Ken Loach which although I'm not familiar with, have been led to believe is more centralized on the lifestyles of the working classes rather than the conflict between the haves and the have-nots. I've always been more passionate about American than British cinema, but this theme struck me as a great one for gritty British film-making. So now I ask, can anyone recommend me some British films about the class divide?

< Message edited by wdruck -- 9/2/2014 3:06:39 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Films about social class - 4/3/2014 11:32:03 PM   
Peregrine Took

Check out The Ruling Class, The Servant, The Go-Between, Another Country, Kind Hearts And Coronets and Room At The Top.
All good examples of films which deal in depth with the British class system.

There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is there it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 2
RE: Films about social class - 4/3/2014 11:44:53 PM   
Peregrine Took

I forgot A Kind Of Loving, Nothing But The Best, Women In Love, Educating Rita and Gosford Park.

There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is there it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened

(in reply to Peregrine Took)
Post #: 3
RE: Films about social class - 11/3/2014 6:42:02 PM   
IamMax

Him, that is interesting wdruck - it would be perfect for British film, something I look for too - about the divide rather than just the focus and depictions in the 'kitchen-sink' films or worse making it a fashion statement. I think over here it would mean looking at not so much on the 'Upstairs, Downstairs' or (shudder) Downtown Abbey set-ups, but again on education and that is a preoccupation of Mike Leigh - so maybe Naked (a mind not helped by school, another able to be 'successful'), Life Is Sweet, maybe Happy-Go-Lucky (all about teachers). Other suggestions given here are probably better, but just an idea.

(in reply to Peregrine Took)
Post #: 4
RE: Films about social class - 13/3/2014 9:18:56 AM   
elab49

Much of the New Wave does deal with the divide, not just a focus on one class. A Room At the Top is a good examination of that.

Some of my favourites, though, are more comedy - eg I'm All Right Jack from the Boulting Bros. Also Tunes of Glory says more about it than many that purport to focus on it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to IamMax)
Post #: 5
RE: Films about social class - 13/3/2014 4:37:28 PM   
IamMax

+1 I'm all-righ Jack. Of course! Definite must-see for this.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Films about social class - 17/3/2014 2:43:03 PM   
wdruck

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! Been watching a bit of Mike Leigh recently including Life is Sweet which I enjoyed, although it is somewhat overly sentimental, and High Hopes which was a really interesting film about the class divide during Thatcher's reign with some poignant messages, great performances and scathing satire of the upper classes. Sadly, I can no longer think about Life is Sweet without the Harry and Paul Mike Leigh parody running through my head, sums it up perfectly I think

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 7
RE: Films about social class - 17/3/2014 6:50:38 PM   
Mister Coe

You might want to try out the Christopher Eccleston / Kate Winslet version of JUDE, great film....

Say what now?

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films about social class Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI