Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Robocop

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Robocop Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Robocop - 10/2/2014 12:20:50 PM   
Teresa76

I was like everyone else asking myself why ! .I watched it on Saturday I have to say I liked alot of it yes I wish they had made it more adult oriented but a see it as a separate film.I think Michael Keaton stole the show a bit and I also wish there was less of Murphy's family because it made the first half drag a bit and there should never have changed the colour of the suit but having said that I enjoyed it not as much as the original but u can't have everything.I will have one last grumble Lewis should have left as woman.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: Robocop - 10/2/2014 9:20:19 PM   
Dr Lenera

Much better than expected! For a film that doesn't really need to exist, anyway. Of course it lacks the original's violence and humour, but its very different look and feel helps differentiate it and it's certainly isn't kid's stuff. Wouldn't say it was especialy dumbed down either except for the loss of some of the satire. I could have done without the shakycam, though it wasn't as bad as, say, the last half hour of Jack Ryan which I found almost unwatchable. It's better than Robocop 3, anyway.

7/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Teresa76)
Post #: 62
RE: But what about THIS movie? - 11/2/2014 12:37:21 PM   
CaptainYorkshire

It wasn't all bad but it felt more like a collection of other movie franchises than the original. Batman - Ironman...all in there. This review points it out...

< Message edited by elab49 -- 13/2/2014 11:44:26 AM >

(in reply to a_man_and_his_monkey)
Post #: 63
I want my money back..... - 11/2/2014 5:21:44 PM   
BRAINDRAIN

A lazy Empire review? By a lazy Empire reviewer? I don’t think so. Heat up the old leftovers, stir up the pot a bit and serve it all up again seems to be the motto here.
A dead fish in the moonlight. A glossy looking film poster and a snazzy trailer to bring the punters in but ultimately ( if you’re shelling out 10 quid for a cinema ticket ) it all stinks. Two stars was being generous. WHAT ABOUT THE LAZY FILM STUDIO AND THE LAZY FILM MAKERS who are foisting this watered down, second hand mush onto the cash paying public? This “version “ of Robocop is made up of all the boring, talking bits that Paul Verhoeven obviously left out of the cut of his original film – I’m guessing maybe because – they were boring? Oldman, Keaton and all are wasted in this - they deserved far better material. And not once in all the 118 minutes did I get that sense of closure, that sense of victory, that euphoria of a hero triumphing against insurmountable odds. Murphy gets blown up, Murphy becomes Robocop, Murphy gets all lovey-dovey with his family again, family gets kidnapped by the bad guy, Murphy kills the bad guy. The end. Couldn’t be any simpler if you just joined the dots. And it’s strange how the script writers seemed to conveniently forget all about the 3 prime directives when it came to the “happy ending”. This was crucial to the character back in the 1987 version because it was only when “ the old man” fired the main villain Dick Jones from OCP that Murphy was then able to deal with him ( via the mysterious 4th directive). No such story logic in this thrown together rubbish – because this is a Robocop film made by committee not a director.

Post #: 64
This film do not deserve this poor rating. - 12/2/2014 9:26:05 AM   
guillaume

I read your review and I was doubtful. Actually not doubtful about your review but about the movie itself. Being a real big fan of the first one, I was expecting this movie like a child at Christmas. I surfed around the net to see the very first reviews the very first day they started to be published to start to have a fair opinion.

If the consensus was "bad", "tragic" or even "poor", I won't bother to pay 11 euros at the Dublin's IMAX to go and watch it.

But I did. Yes, I kept in mind Empire's "2 stars" while I went to see it. I was maybe in a very curious excited mind but with the "2 stars" in mind though. The least we can say, however, is that Robocop 2014 divides. Globally people hates or loves it.

And I love it, I loved it. I was NOT disappointed at all. And once again, I am a Verhoeven fan. I did not see in this movie a mere and awful "copy and paste" à la "Total Recall" or "The Omen" but a different vision, a different way to tell an incredible story.

Yes, there is no humour. Yes, the score is crap. Yes, the villains has no charisma. Yes, there is no Clarence Boddicker.

But Yes, there is some emotion. Yes, the special effects are amazing. Yes, the Robocop suit looks great. Great acting, great and smart direction also. Good action scenes.

Padhila's mission was nearly impossible. And his task was huge ! He did a great work, I am afraid to say, and he surely has a great future in the movie industry. And if there is a sequel, I will be happy to go and see it.

Verdict : Robocop 2014 is not as bad as expected. Actually it is a great film, a reboot like we would love to see more often.

Post #: 65
RE: This film do not deserve this poor rating. - 13/2/2014 10:20:46 AM   
paulyboy

Not the train wreck I thought it would be, but not great either. It's nice to see them taking a different approach to the original, focusing on Murphy's family and the ethics of just how far they should push the man/machine divide, but by the halfway mark even that eventually gives way to a by the numbers action film, without a great deal of action. It's a shame, because it's got a decent cast, reasonable production values and most importantly the right ideas, it just never pulls it off.

2.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to guillaume)
Post #: 66
A WORTHY Reboot!!! - 13/2/2014 6:25:54 PM   
Ramone87

Director Jose Padilha does a good job here of re-imagining Paul Verhoven's cult classic. Ok, the violence is toned down, but just as exciting in places, the obscene profanity toned down but just as biting in places. What it does lack however is the explosive characters of the original,..but how many classic or recent Sci-fis can compare to that?

The canvas in Padilha vision is now broader,..after an intense sequence in Tehran Omini-corp's Robot's are used to push US foreign "Robotic Policy" in order to abolish the "Dreyfuss Act" and bring Robot Policing on american soil,....enter Alex J. Murphy (Joel Kinnaman) who now maimed and paralysed in a car bomb is now in to fill those big Robotic shoes for corporate Omin-corp Boss Raymond Sellers (Michael Keaton). So the whole set up pretty much plays like the original, even using the same iconic theme tune! Raymond's Frankenstein Robotic creation is the strict care of Dr. Dennet Norton (Gary Oldman) and this relationship is handeld well, when it could have been ludicrous,...the scene where Murphy's damaged torso is revealed underneath his metal armour is particularly unsettling and disturbing, Here Kinnaman shows real heart (literally) and gives his version of Robocop some much needed emotional gravitas.

The action is frenetic and pulsing, and there is plenty of it too. The SFX and new suit design work's great, homage the original in silver (During a cool combat training sequence) then a more "Swat style black" as Raymond put's it. So before you can say "I'll buy that for a dollar" (and yeah, they do say that) he's having flash backs and off to take down those who framed and attempted to murder him. It all moves at a good, slick pace and other actors do a good try of showcasing some celluloid time amidst Samuel L. Jacksons wisecracking TV host Pat Kovak,..who really could have had a bit more bite to be honest. Along for the ride are Clare Murphy (Abbie Cornish) and son who's heartbreak, no where near as devastating as in the original is handled with care and some sensitivity here. The sequence at Robocop's public reveal is quite powerful, as a drugged and emotionless Murphy walks by them unaffected and apprehends
a criminal with brutal efficiency recalling some of the punch of Verhoven's original.

But as I described earlier, the major flaws are the lack of explosive characters which made the original so memorable and powerful, the villains (Keaton) and Jackie Earl Haley as chief commander Rick Mattox are good but not as brutal and truly evil like Dick Jones in Verhovens masterpiece. But most importantly there's plenty of ED209 action to be had,..you have 20 seconds to comply!!!!

Go SEE IT!!!

< Message edited by Ramone87 -- 13/2/2014 6:28:00 PM >

Post #: 67
RE: A WORTHY Reboot!!! - 14/2/2014 10:50:55 AM   
SQUATCH

Fair play the trailer makes it look pretty good even if it shows the story from begining to end

"Marge my friend, I havent learnt a thing"

(in reply to Ramone87)
Post #: 68
RoboCop (2014) - 14/2/2014 9:11:39 PM   
The Grimeanator

Why did they do it? Why mess with a classic? This film has one main problem which pulls the whole thing down-and that is the script! The story's terrible, why mess with the perfect revenge/sci-fi/deeper-meaning plot and shove the revenge into a tiny segment in the middle? It really pulls the film down. Hats off to the director and cast though who manage to make this version watchable, but whoever set out to make this film a 12A should be shot-the action is just not intense enough. Its a shame, this could have be so much better.

Post #: 69
RoboCop (2014) - 14/2/2014 9:11:52 PM   
The Grimeanator

Why did they do it? Why mess with a classic? This film has one main problem which pulls the whole thing down-and that is the script! The story's terrible, why mess with the perfect revenge/sci-fi/deeper-meaning plot and shove the revenge into a tiny segment in the middle? It really pulls the film down. Hats off to the director and cast though who manage to make this version watchable, but whoever set out to make this film a 12A should be shot-the action is just not intense enough. Its a shame, this could have be so much better.

Post #: 70
Better then the originals - 15/2/2014 11:06:37 PM   
Filmphilanthropist

I have to disagree with this review. I really enjoyed this movie.

Post #: 71
- 16/2/2014 2:53:04 AM   
Darren47

Thanks to a likable cast, RoboCop is pretty nifty

Post #: 72
You have 20 secs to apologise for the review. - 16/2/2014 5:19:40 PM   
Milliemorten

Man you've never been more wrong in a review in my opinion. Were you in a bad mood? This was a great experience. An intelligent new take on an old film and I was gripped throughout as was the whole audience. I will listen for your apology on the podcast Chris!!

Post #: 73
WOW EMPIRE, - 17/2/2014 12:38:20 AM   
Snake 4Skin

or shud I say WOWZERS EMPIRE. I woz gona say Hewitt, you wer watching a different movie, but since you described MAJOR PLOT POINTS,no you did see the new rebooted and resuited,absolutely COOL,SMART and quite brutal Robocop. This film is a shining example of when reboots work,in every way! And for all those howlin about 12 cert,go see the movie. It's quite impressive Padihla got away with a 12! The genius that he is. Hope he does the next 1. Empire you need to reboot sum of your staff. Hewitt,DEAD OR ALIVE YOURE COMING WITH ME

Post #: 74
RoboSlop - 19/2/2014 7:38:36 PM   
Azzurro06

Absolute and utter rubbish. Make no mistake, the worst sci-fi movie since Battlefield Earth. Has no elements that made the 1987 movie so fantastic, but worse than that, it treats its audience like 12 year old boys...so the 12 rating is quite apt for this tosh. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Post #: 75
RoboSlop - 19/2/2014 7:38:40 PM   
Azzurro06

Absolute and utter rubbish. Make no mistake, the worst sci-fi movie since Battlefield Earth. Has no elements that made the 1987 movie so fantastic, but worse than that, it treats its audience like 12 year old boys...so the 12 rating is quite apt for this tosh. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Post #: 76
Poor - 23/2/2014 7:36:34 PM   
WozisWoz

Kind of put of by the announcement of the 12A rating I mean how about have all 80's hardcore rated films to be 12A whats left for hollywood to ruin (Commando, Predator, Raw Deal, Aliens)

The problems are with the main lead miscast , tone has been turned down and the emotional core of the original was that murphy was trying to find identity in the world. In this its like the filmmakers aren't sure where the story is going I suspect the studio pushing the around with director. By the end of it the film is a mess , The original stands up even now its timeless and this remake is just a soulless video game.

Post #: 77
Poor - 23/2/2014 7:36:36 PM   
WozisWoz

Kind of put of by the announcement of the 12A rating I mean how about have all 80's hardcore rated films to be 12A whats left for hollywood to ruin (Commando, Predator, Raw Deal, Aliens)

The problems are with the main lead miscast , tone has been turned down and the emotional core of the original was that murphy was trying to find identity in the world. In this its like the filmmakers aren't sure where the story is going I suspect the studio pushing the around with director. By the end of it the film is a mess , The original stands up even now its timeless and this remake is just a soulless video game.

Post #: 78
Good Cop Bad Cop - 25/2/2014 10:38:51 PM   
MrGigolo

I think this is a pretty accurate review, inevitable comparisons to the original, which beats this film for pathos, tension and thrills. This versions was, like the Samuel Jackson character ham fisted in almost everyway and the action was pedestrian by today's standards. Interesting that you highlight the part where Murphy is shown the extent of his transformation completely takes away his humanity (and like you say, the film's) because beforehand he was a taciturn, painted by numbers neo-macho good guy who generated all the symapthy of a house brick. And it was just so contrived and thin in the way it steered the story to it's conclusion. In a word it was boring.

Post #: 79
RE: Robocop - 1/3/2014 7:07:16 PM   
R W

The very idea of remaking something as passionate as RoboCop would cause an uproar from fans of Paul Verhoeven’s classic 1987 sci-fi action satire. Following the mixed-resulted remake of Total Recall and there are future plans of rebooting the brilliantly fascistic militaristic bug-fest Starship Troopers, fans would’ve expected the worse out of this 2014 version of RoboCop. However, they will be surprised.

Critically injured from a car bomb, Detroit police officer Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman) is revived by the malevolent mega-corporation OmniCorp as the new law enforcement product that combines man and machine. However, being the future of American law enforcement creates a distance from his family and his own soul.

When it was first announced that a remake was in development, Black Swan’s Darren Aronofsky was originally at the helm and would’ve brought something new and interesting to the idea of a cyborg cop. Following Aronofsky’s departure (now tackling the epic story of Noah’s Ark), it is Brazilian filmmaker José Padilha to step in after helming the Elite Squad films. It has been much discussed in the press that Padilha was having difficulties with the studio, having admitted that it was "the worst experience of his life". So despite going in to it after hearing the negative reports and having watched the original fairly recently, RoboCop 2.0 isn’t as bad as it could’ve been.

For starters, the satire is still there but unlike the original’s satirical nature of 1980s’ corporate America during the Reagan era, Padilha’s version discusses America’s political concern over the use of robotics as law enforcement, while OmniCorp approaches their latest creation which is RoboCop as if it was a toy product that has to be “sold” to the American public – there’s even a scene with Michael Keaton and as OmniCorp’s CEO and Jay Baruchel as its head of marketing discussing the way RoboCop should look to make him visually appealing to the public, hence the black slick armour.

Replacing the original’s use of corporate infomercials is the scenes featuring Samuel L. Jackson as Pat Novak, the host of The Novak Element and prominent supporter of mechanized crime control. Clearly taking cues from actual TV presenters and political commentators, Jackson’s performance is a missed opportunity, considering that the film’s final scene displays him in a very over-the-top fashion, you wished that his performance and the rest of the film could gone on this direction; which brings onto us the 12A certificate.

While Padilha and screenwriter Joshua Zetumer presents a different but interesting approach – such as a Batman Begins-styled origin – to the story originally conceived by Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner, the film would’ve done more justice if it was pushed to being a 15 and didn’t take itself too seriously. Although there is content that surprisingly made it into a 12A-rated film, the action at times can get incomprehensible as there’s a lot of shaky-cam and many of the deaths on screen are implied, lacking the original’s use of blood and guts.

Although the film can feel like a shoot ‘em up and goes very CGI in places such as Robo fighting a series of ED-209s who are no longer the dumb machines who can’t walk the stairs, the character drama gives the film a heart. Stepping into the eponymous role, Joel Kinnaman does a decent job at being a part-man, part-machine on a search for identity, although he lacks the tragedy of Peter Weller’s performance. In terms of the supporting cast, while Abbie Cornish was fairly two-dimensional as Murphy’s wife, the standouts are Michael Keaton’s slimy CEO and Gary Oldman’s conflicted scientist as the scenes they have together give the film at least a spark.

One could’ve expected the worse out of a RoboCop remake, but you would be pleasantly surprised as this version is made by people who have seen the original and do something new and interesting with its themes. Although there is still that question of did RoboCop needed to remake at all, but for what we’ve got, it is an enjoyable watch.

Post #: 80
RE: Robocop - 6/3/2014 2:25:09 AM   
filmigos

I dunno. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the best action film. I liked the updates they did to it. You can check out this review here. It made me laugh.

Funny Robocop review

www.Filmigos.com
Friends Don't Let Friends Pay Movie Ticket Prices For Rentals

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 81
RE: Robocop - 9/3/2014 7:38:03 PM   
Evertonized

I still think this film would have been better with a R rating and a stronger criminal threat but for what we got with PG-13 I have to admit that I liked it. 4/5 Good

Thoughts of Lee

Steven
Do you like film, games, music or TV Series? Check out my website for exclusive interviews & reviews - http://mediapick.co.uk

(in reply to filmigos)
Post #: 82
Robocrap - 12/5/2014 12:06:05 AM   
Mr. Anderson

Totally agree 100% with Chris on this review. It's just all wrong. The lead character is awful, there's no real heart here, no real humour. Maybe I'm just being a fanboy of the original, but yeah, they've pretty much missed the point of what made the original so brilliant in the first place. Two stars, and that feels generous.

Post #: 83
Enjoyable - 13/5/2014 8:03:27 PM   
scarab_khepri

Too harsh Empire! If you consider this a film in its own right, it's perfectly enjoyable. I'd give it 3.5/5.

Post #: 84
RE: Enjoyable - 29/5/2014 10:26:21 AM   
SQUATCH

Pretty damn good remake

"Marge my friend, I havent learnt a thing"

(in reply to scarab_khepri)
Post #: 85
RE: Robocop - 2/6/2014 10:47:05 AM   
emmacook

good movie, i am big fan of action movie, robocop is a movie which is full of action

Post #: 86
Yeah, I'd Buy That For A Dollar - 11/6/2014 8:07:56 PM   
Litshttam

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, to be honest; don't pre-judge it because it ain't an 18 like I did. The throughline of 21st Century creeping Big Brother was a particular highlight.

Post #: 87
RE: Robocop - 14/6/2014 10:10:02 AM   
chris kilby

Robocock.

Post #: 88
RE: Robocop - 14/6/2014 11:15:42 AM   
sanchia

It lacks the satirical bite of the original and is a relatively bland action film but it is a diverting enough way to while away a couple of hours if you have nothing better to do.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 89
RE: Robocop - 14/6/2014 2:44:20 PM   
Cool Breeze

Shite.

One of the few times that lately that i 100% agree with Empires review.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Robocop Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI