Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

It is a remake, after all

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> It is a remake, after all Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
It is a remake, after all - 6/2/2014 1:40:03 PM   
heracles

If you don't want anyone to compare it to the original, don't call it Robocop, don't feature Murphy, ED-209, Norton, etc!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: It is a remake, after all - 6/2/2014 1:43:36 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: heracles

If you don't want anyone to compare it to the original, don't call it Robocop, don't feature Murphy, ED-209, Norton, etc!

High fives to that man!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to heracles)
Post #: 32
It's not a review - 6/2/2014 3:42:19 PM   
Artoo

In order to "review" something do you not have to touch on pretty much everything in the movie at least a little bit?

This was just a comparison to the original film and nothing more. With talented actors like Gary Oldman, Samuel L Jackson and the return of Batman (Michael Keaton) do we, the movie going public (and Empire followers) not deserve to have at least a brief review of their performances? How did Kinnaman do? I mean Robocop must be a bloody difficult part to pull off?

What about the score? Is there a score? Does the rating affect the movie given that the original was an 18? Are there any saving graces (in your opinion) that might attract people that are less obsessed with the original - to the film? I mean come on dude!!!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 33
RE: It is a remake, after all - 6/2/2014 4:39:40 PM   
Galahadfairlight

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

High fives to that man!!

Not really high fives at all. I don't think anyones asinine to assume that a comparison won't be made with the original, but we know more about the original in that review than we do the remake/reboot. The whole point of the review is to tell us about the movie we don't know about, and patently not nearly enough effort was made to make that happen.

Post #: 34
RE: It is a remake, after all - 6/2/2014 5:12:35 PM   
scary_ice

OK, I haven't commented on this site for a while and I know I shouldn't be drawn into another argument about a review but I just can't resist.

Seriously, I don't know what people expect from a review anymore - if you give too many details you're accused of spoilers, if not then you're not giving enough info and not doing you job properly!

Inevitably a remake will be compared, and accusations of him not telling us enough about the movie is ridiculous. He quite clearly points out (as someone else already noted) in the 1st and 4th paragraph problems with tone, the lack of a sense of humour, or a satirical edge, the "undercooked over-CGed action scenes", and what seems like a heavy-handed American foreign policy "message" in the film, as well as it's apparent melodramatic air with regards to his wife and family, not to mention the head, lungs and hand scene that sounds like a horrible descendant of Vader's infamous "Nooooo".

What more do people want? I get the impression that assessments of the performances may not be all that important in relation to a movie of this type (I don't think anyone came out of the original raving about the thespian skills on display), so I can forgive that too.

So I really cannot see what the problem with this review is, just another example of the internet fan community trying very hard to find fault with things.

Maybe I sound harsh, but this stuff just really irritates me. There are many other reviews available. I tend to check out a few of them for diversity of opinion and this is just one of them, and a perfectly fine and valid one as far as I can see.

(in reply to Galahadfairlight)
Post #: 35
RE: It is a remake, after all - 6/2/2014 5:15:30 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galahadfairlight

quote:

quote:

High fives to that man!!

Not really high fives at all. I don't think anyones asinine to assume that a comparison won't be made with the original, but we know more about the original in that review than we do the remake/reboot. The whole point of the review is to tell us about the movie we don't know about, and patently not nearly enough effort was made to make that happen.

I don't think that's really the case at all is it. I've told you ten million times to stop exaggerating.

Whilst I will concede the review isn't the most insightful and indepth review in the Empire repertoire; it strikes me as not exactly the most insightful and in depth film and the bottom line is that if I went home and tried to do a cover of U2's One and it was shit, the first thing everyone will say to me is "It's not as good as the original...and its shit". Which is essentially what Mr. Hewitt has done.

What more do you want?!

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 6/2/2014 5:16:28 PM >

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Galahadfairlight)
Post #: 36
RE: It is a remake, after all - 6/2/2014 5:50:02 PM   
7eke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galahadfairlight

quote:

quote:

High fives to that man!!

I don't think that's really the case at all is it. I've told you ten million times to stop exaggerating.

Whilst I will concede the review isn't the most insightful and indepth review in the Empire repertoire; it strikes me as not exactly the most insightful and in depth film and the bottom line is that if I went home and tried to do a cover of U2's One and it was shit, the first thing everyone will say to me is "It's not as good as the original...and its shit". Which is essentially what Mr. Hewitt has done.

What more do you want?!

That is about the depth of the review yes, and herein lies the problem a lot of people have.

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. - Ron Burgundy

Post #: 37
RE: It is a remake, after all - 6/2/2014 5:51:29 PM   
Atomhammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: scary_ice

OK, I haven't commented on this site for a while and I know I shouldn't be drawn into another argument about a review but I just can't resist.

Seriously, I don't know what people expect from a review anymore - if you give too many details you're accused of spoilers, if not then you're not giving enough info and not doing you job properly!

Inevitably a remake will be compared, and accusations of him not telling us enough about the movie is ridiculous. He quite clearly points out (as someone else already noted) in the 1st and 4th paragraph problems with tone, the lack of a sense of humour, or a satirical edge, the "undercooked over-CGed action scenes", and what seems like a heavy-handed American foreign policy "message" in the film, as well as it's apparent melodramatic air with regards to his wife and family, not to mention the head, lungs and hand scene that sounds like a horrible descendant of Vader's infamous "Nooooo".

What more do people want? I get the impression that assessments of the performances may not be all that important in relation to a movie of this type (I don't think anyone came out of the original raving about the thespian skills on display), so I can forgive that too.

So I really cannot see what the problem with this review is, just another example of the internet fan community trying very hard to find fault with things.

Maybe I sound harsh, but this stuff just really irritates me. There are many other reviews available. I tend to check out a few of them for diversity of opinion and this is just one of them, and a perfectly fine and valid one as far as I can see.

Agreed. The only thing I could add is that I tend to like an entertaining or witty review and felt this one was more of a big shoulder shrug from Mr Hewitt. Judging by the score its just a 'meh' movie instead of one that may illicit a big reaction either way. I had hopes that this movie could be entertaining without expecting a classic.So at least the review clearly warns as to what to expect.

I'm assuming its more Total Recall (2012) 'enjoyable-if-you-let-it' movie, rather than than it would be fine reboot such as Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes or maybe Batman Begins IMO.

~ Do We Believe What We See or See What We believe ~

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 38
Empire dumps on a lame reboot and idiots who'll buy any... - 6/2/2014 5:57:29 PM   
Jonny24

Nice one Chris. Still don't understand you giving Dredd only 3 stars tho.

Post #: 39
RE: Typical Empire - 6/2/2014 8:19:59 PM   
JediBobster

You almost threw me there Foximus Prime when you shoe-horned Meet Dave into your post. But then it clicked - Alex Murphy is called that because writer and surname spelling nightmare, Edward Neumeier, took the name of Axel Foley. Swapped that character's name with the actor's name - Murphy - and then swappe dhte the 'l' and the 'x'. Creating Alex Murphy.

In related news I went to see Robocop 3 on release in 1994 then exactly one week later went to see Beverly Hills Cop 3. Both informed me that, for quality blockbuster entertainment, the 80s were most definitely over.

JEDI BOBSTER

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 40
RE: Typical Empire - 6/2/2014 9:16:07 PM   
CORLEONE

Don't normally comment on reviews but that was bloody awful. Gonna go and watch it next week.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 41
The morons. - 7/2/2014 1:08:17 AM   
drico

Some slating this review who haven't seen the film are idiots. Also not every review must mention every actor's performances, they said Kinneman was bland (you could tell from the trailer), so that's checked off the list.
And....it is called Robocop, it must be compared to the original. Same as that shit remake of Total Recall.

However, Empire need to reconsider there 3 star Dredd review. Change it, it's a brilliant film.

Post #: 42
The morons. - 7/2/2014 1:09:19 AM   
drico

Some slating this review who haven't seen the film are idiots. Also not every review must mention every actor's performances, they said Kinneman was bland (you could tell from the trailer), so that's checked off the list.
And....it is called Robocop, it must be compared to the original. Same as that shit remake of Total Recall.

However, Empire need to reconsider there 3 star Dredd review. Change it, it's a brilliant film.

Post #: 43
Enjoyable - 7/2/2014 10:59:25 AM   
aidofar

I went to see this not really expecting much but I was surprised that I really enjoyed it. Its not as good as the original and lacks the violence and gore. But its not as terrible as some others are making out.

Post #: 44
RE: Typical Empire - 7/2/2014 3:36:41 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: JediBobster

You almost threw me there Foximus Prime when you shoe-horned Meet Dave into your post. But then it clicked - Alex Murphy is called that because writer and surname spelling nightmare, Edward Neumeier, took the name of Axel Foley. Swapped that character's name with the actor's name - Murphy - and then swappe dhte the 'l' and the 'x'. Creating Alex Murphy.

In related news I went to see Robocop 3 on release in 1994 then exactly one week later went to see Beverly Hills Cop 3. Both informed me that, for quality blockbuster entertainment, the 80s were most definitely over.

JEDI BOBSTER

Errrr...yes, that is exactly what I was doing. I like to throw in the odd riddle every now and then.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 45
Okay - 7/2/2014 8:37:41 PM   
bretty

Doesn't deserve the Empire slating although it doesn't add too much to the original. It does spend a while on the theme of Murphy adjusting to his new status and interesting having a larger focus on his wife and kid. In the original the Police were besieged by rising crime and lack of resource and I liked that concept, here it is a minor snipe at the US being the world's policeman and the bias of some TV output.
But as a re-boot it was okay if not spectacular.

Post #: 46
RE: It is a remake, after all - 7/2/2014 9:14:23 PM   
Hood_Man

There's a moment in the first act of this movie where, after being "reborn" as Robocop, Alex Murphy looks pleadingly into the eyes of Gary Oldman and begs to be killed.

By the end of the film, I was tempted to form an orderly queue...

(in reply to heracles)
Post #: 47
Taser Gun!? - 7/2/2014 9:16:52 PM   
J_BUltimatum

My title says it all... Yes they gave him a frickin' taser gun!!! OK. So trying not to compare it to the original. But, it has the same plot (yes without the violence, nudity and bad language) and the same theme music (although it is a very bad techno style version). With all that it's hard not to compare it. What it lack's most is a decent cast and director. With Weller's Robo you could see him come to terms with his new found ability and the emotional stress it caused him. With Kinnaman, he is simply a robot nothing else. Adding a tear doesn't change that. The original also had the continuing theme of man having a conscience and robots not. With this one they try to make you feel that is the case by saying it a lot, BUT never actually showing it. It is a shambles of a movie even Keaton, Oldman and Jackson (who know how to put in a performance) are awful in it. Almost seems like they were in for a pay day. To sum up. Second most dull film I've seen in a long, long time!

Post #: 48
Well, I enjoyed it :p - 7/2/2014 10:20:17 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

This telling of the tale still takes potshots at the right and left-wing branches of government and media, but at its core it really just wants to be a dumb action flick; and in this, it succeeds.
As a social and political satire, Robocop is a bit of a blunt instrument, but for all-out empty-headed entertainment, you won't go too far wrong here.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 49
Solid entertainment - 8/2/2014 4:15:39 PM   
lelandmeeks

Another poor Empire review from a lazy reviewer. I went in expecting a poor movie reboot but I left thoroughly entertained. The pace of the movie was quick, there were good actors in the main roles and they managed to update the story so it didn't just feel like a retread. I recommend it for a dollar!

Post #: 50
EMPIRE IS RIGHT...IT'S SHITE..... - 8/2/2014 5:14:13 PM   
ROTGUT

There’s only one Robocop – and his name is Peter Weller - the first and still the best. Joel what’s his face with his fake looking black rubber suit and computer FX assisted acrobatics just doesn’t cut it. An entertaining vacuum by comparison - much like the film itself. And if they didn’t want people to start comparing and complaining then WHY CALL IT ROBOCOP? And why waste 100 million smackeroos remaking a film that‘s already regarded as a classic in the first place? People get shot, terrorists get blown up, pummelled, crushed and killed – but don’t worry folks – it’s all good, clean, family friendly fun. PG13 Robocop. That says it all really. The kids will love it - we can all wallow in the hype and commercial mediocrity. But whereas the original film was street smart and darkly humorous with a cutting edge that still stands up to repeated viewings even today – this film is just sooooo bland, so ordinary and predictable, I quickly forgot all about it as soon as I left the cinema. You can get away with making Iron Man if you’ve got Robert Downey Jr as your star. No such luck here though. There’s a great supporting cast but unfortunately they’re all wasted on some puerile, half baked, simplified nonsense involving drones, arms dealers, American imperialism and family soap opera. And then there’s that obvious philosophical question. Why indeed WOULD you stick a man into a Robot suit? I watched all 118 minutes of this remake? Reboot? Reimagining? ( whatever the heck you want to call it) and by the end, I was still none the wiser. ONE STAR

Post #: 51
RE: Robocop - 8/2/2014 7:07:16 PM   
captainrentboy

Watched it last night, and as I was quite happy to go in and judge it on its own merits (rather than let my defensive raging boner of justice, for the Verhoeven/Weller original, force me into a state of predetermined hatred) I ended up thoroughly enjoying the movie.
Empire's claim of 'zero heart' didn't ring true for me at all, in fact there were some scenes (Murphy first coming to terms with life in the suit springs to mind) which absolutely wipe the floor with a lot of stuff from the original.
Yes there's very little OTT violence, minimal swearing and no nudity,but I didn't miss those things at all (If I want those aspects I'll just pop the original into my BR player),this movie had its own story to tell and did so in a very entertaining, occasionally thought provoking, manner.
Easily one of the better remakes to come out of Hollywood in years.
4/5.

Oh and the original is still a 4/5 movie for me too.

Post #: 52
Did you watch the same film? - 8/2/2014 8:41:41 PM   
echoroom

I had a very different reaction to Empire. I don't know how this was given a 12 rating, with scenes showing Oldman prodding around in Robos brain, and the scene refered to when he is shown as just head, trachea, lungs and hand one of the weirdest, and oddly disturbing, I've seen in a while ( and addresses issues that the original just ignored). Oldman and Keaton are ace, the satire is laid on thick ( 'here in sunny downtown Tehran') and the film is made relevant to our modern, wired in time. The central conceit of what makes a man when most of his body is blown away still remains.
This is not perfect, but a justified remake that takes a different look at a sci if concept, and has much more intelligence than most modern blockbusters.

Post #: 53
RE: Did you watch the same film? - 8/2/2014 9:03:35 PM   
jcthefirst

This wasn't half bad. In fact I rather enjoyed it.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to echoroom)
Post #: 54
RE: But what about THIS movie? - 8/2/2014 10:43:55 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Saw this today at Imax. Really enjoyed it and thought it was a really solid movie in its own right. Surprisingly the action is fairly sparse and low key. It's really dark too and definitely not aimed at kids.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to a_man_and_his_monkey)
Post #: 55
rubbish - 9/2/2014 1:36:50 AM   
Thomas Odgers

I haven't seen this film yet but just heard that its a bloody 12 rating I won't bother. I might just go and buy the 88 classic version on bluray. So there, bollocks to these so called remakes.

Post #: 56
To Compare to the original - 9/2/2014 2:56:37 PM   
Stiisneej

I can't help but feel we focus too much on comparing remakes to originals. But also that we hold originals too dearly in our minds that nothing can ever be better.

I have read a number of comments all pointing to the fact that you cant not compare it - but surely, we are mentally capable of watching a film without constantly harping back? Yes, it contains many similar themes that may generate recollection but to so doggedly argue merits seems just (I don't want to say childish, because there are many level-headed children)... I don't make a cup of tea and instantly compare it to the one before. They are all made of the same ingredients, but I am able to judge it on its own merit. Yes I am simplifying but you take my point.

I feel bad for many these days who seem caught in a constant dislike of anything made - never mind 'remade'. I have read so many comments where people hate this film and they haven't even seen it! So what it is a 12A? I don't want to see the exact same film again - it's interesting to view it from another perspective for these current days.

Like or dislike the film good people but do so on its own legs. Nice to read some of you had enjoyed the film.

But for the endless haters - it's fine that you do hate it, but I wish you would push yourselves to get out there and make a movie yourself. I mean it with good heart. There seem to be so many dissatisfied - I'd like to see you all get out there and do it yourself.

Post #: 57
RE: To Compare to the original - 9/2/2014 7:44:39 PM   
ED-209

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stiisneej

I can't help but feel we focus too much on comparing remakes to originals. But also that we hold originals too dearly in our minds that nothing can ever be better.

I have read a number of comments all pointing to the fact that you cant not compare it - but surely, we are mentally capable of watching a film without constantly harping back? Yes, it contains many similar themes that may generate recollection but to so doggedly argue merits seems just (I don't want to say childish, because there are many level-headed children)... I don't make a cup of tea and instantly compare it to the one before. They are all made of the same ingredients, but I am able to judge it on its own merit. Yes I am simplifying but you take my point.

I feel bad for many these days who seem caught in a constant dislike of anything made - never mind 'remade'. I have read so many comments where people hate this film and they haven't even seen it! So what it is a 12A? I don't want to see the exact same film again - it's interesting to view it from another perspective for these current days.

Like or dislike the film good people but do so on its own legs. Nice to read some of you had enjoyed the film.

But for the endless haters - it's fine that you do hate it, but I wish you would push yourselves to get out there and make a movie yourself. I mean it with good heart. There seem to be so many dissatisfied - I'd like to see you all get out there and do it yourself.

People's main concern with the Robocop remake was the fact that it came across as a shameless way for Hollywood to take something that was a classic movie in it's own right to begin with and redo it in a way that was 'watered down' which would appeal to younger people and families in order just to get more bums on seats and make money. You could also argue that it didn't really need to be remade and Hollywood seems to just be running out of original ideas. If a film has to be remade, then for heaven's sake remake a film that wasn't that good in the first place and use a bigger budget that the original never had in order to improve on it's faults.

Many people like myself grew up with the original Robocop and I rate it as one of my all time favourite movies so naturally I balked at the idea of a remake. Because of this, I'm extremely wary of watching the new version as I won't be able to help compare it to the original. However, based on some of the reviews I have read so far I am remaining cautiously optimistic.

I do agree with you with the fact that some people have enjoyed it which is good as hopefully the filmmakers of this one respected the original enough in order to give it a half decent remade version (unlike Total Recall)!

< Message edited by ED-209 -- 10/2/2014 8:38:49 PM >

(in reply to Stiisneej)
Post #: 58
It's really not that bad - 9/2/2014 7:46:58 PM   
Uncle_Ethan

Watched this last night, quite enjoyed it, despite all the negativity and the 12A rating.

Post #: 59
Far better than expected... - 10/2/2014 9:00:37 AM   
IamtheGoblin

... though admittedly, that still only makes it 'decent'. Pleasantly surprised when I saw it last night. Not as clever or biting as the original, nor as entertaining (also bows out to RoboCop 2), but it's miles ahead of RoboCop 3 and the TV series (shudder).

Kinnaman is solid, if not amazing (much better than the trailers show), Oldman is predictably & reliably brilliant, Keaton does what's required but I've seen better from him. Sam Jackson's bits are grating in the first half-hour, but by the end of the movie make more sense and really work.

A far better film than one might have expected, and - against all the odds - a worthy member of the franchise. I'd still have rather they re-made RoboCop 3 and cast Peter Weller, but this one was good enough. If it gets a sequel, I'll go see it. Didn't think I'd be saying that when I bought my ticket last night.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> It is a remake, after all Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI