Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Films which change dramatically in their last minute(s)? *SPOILERS*

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films which change dramatically in their last minute(s)? *SPOILERS* Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Films which change dramatically in their last minute(s)... - 4/2/2014 12:01:42 AM   
Padraic Coffey

I was thinking about one of my favourite films, Mathieu Kassovitz's La Haine, the other day. For those who haven't seen it, it's a film where the last minute or so of screen-time is crucial. I'm about to reveal the ending so, if you haven't seen it, please don't look at the following.

As they are walking away from their friend Hubert (Hubert Koundé), Saïd (Saïd Taghamaoui) and Vinz (Vincent Cassel) are accosted by policemen with whom they clashed earlier. One of the policeman taunts Vinz with a gun to his head. Suddenly, the gun accidentally goes off, and Vinz drops dead.

As this happens, Hubert walks towards the policeman and then points a gun at him. The policeman points a gun back. We close up on Saïd's face, cut to black and hear a gun-shot, not knowing who fired or if anyone else was killed.

It's a brilliant ending, made all the more powerful because, had the film ended a minute earlier, audiences would leave with a completely different feeling.

Similarly, Kevin Smith's original ending for Clerks is well known.

Dante (Brian O'Halloran) is closing up the shop when a customer walks in, shoots him dead and then leaves with the contents of the cash register.

This was cut from the film for a less eventful ending, but is available to view online and on the DVD.

Can anyone think of any other films which shift tone dramatically in their final minute or minutes? Please, warn about spoilers!
Post #: 1
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 4/2/2014 8:48:08 AM   
grucl

The last 15 minutes of Shaun of the Dead were far more serious than I came to expect.

(in reply to Padraic Coffey)
Post #: 2
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 4/2/2014 8:13:09 PM   
Mister Coe

I'll suggest that the ending of De Palma's BLOW OUT might qualify... no spoilers, but it goes from being an exciting suspense thriller into... well, watch for yourself.

All I'll say is that it makes the ending of SHAUN look like the ending of GREASE...

Say what now?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 3
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 4/2/2014 10:50:34 PM   
Chris Boomen

500 Days of Summer. Sort of.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 4
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 6/2/2014 10:39:22 PM   
ElephantBoy

Not on this one, sometimes I silly twist can undermine an over wise great film such as in Fight Club, but that is slightly different.

I actually wouldn't have mind seeing that ending to Clerks.

The more feel good ending to Shawshrank maybe, but that partly depends on if you knew how it was supposed to end.

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 5
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 9/2/2014 10:00:10 PM   
Jonezy123

The final scene of London Boulevard is completely unexpected (unless you're on of those irritating egits who claim 'I totally saw that coming' to sound intelligent, even though they're lying)

spolier alert!!!:

The film was lining up for an epic win (or fail depending on your viewpoint) for Farrell's character; he's killed the crime boss, and after trying to avoid being dragged in and becoming the villian he fears for the entire film, oh hang on, some little c*nt shanks him

It's got to be said, there's a fine line between twists and dramatic final scene changes, but I think this is the latter.

Post #: 6
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 12/2/2014 5:12:03 PM   
JustinFox

The very last bit of "There Will Be Blood" in the bowling alley seemed a little out of place compared to the rest of the film

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 7
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 19/2/2014 12:26:50 PM   
ccccc

Easy Rider has an abrupt, shocking ending. The sudden onslaught of the closing credits jar horribly too.
It's like, the movie's over? Just like that? But I wasn't ready!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The closing moments of Saw are magnificently unexpected.

Post #: 8
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 20/2/2014 10:10:56 AM   
hozay

The last 15 minutes of Ender's Game have a very dramatic change and actually saves the film in a way. I'm a huge fan of the book and was a little disappointed with some of the characters ( mainly the adults ) but that ending, along with some other very good scenes and the beautiful look of the film made me forget it's flaws and come away feeling very satisfied.

Agree on Easy Rider, an ending you'll never forget, so unexpected and tragic.

< Message edited by hozay -- 20/2/2014 10:16:25 AM >

(in reply to ccccc)
Post #: 9
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 20/2/2014 2:03:26 PM   
Chronicle

Magnolia. Something very weird and unexpected happens in the last part of the film, people who have seen it will obviously know what I'm talking about..

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 10
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 21/2/2014 12:33:09 PM   
aidenbrownless

There is a movie place Bollywood many movies has been changed in last mins which spoil every thing going on and that show the perfection of a director and every one, it seem they want to finish the movie according to the committed time.

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 11
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 21/2/2014 12:51:53 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Berberian Sound Studio where it all goes David Lynch ,or Ken Russell, crazy in the final third.

The Grease ending,where they all die it a spectacular drag race while singing "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows"-by Lesley Gore.

(in reply to aidenbrownless)
Post #: 12
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 21/2/2014 7:55:15 PM   
Mister Coe

OK, I'll throw in RED STATE... bloody loved that film up until the last five minutes or so... SPOILERS!!!

When those trumpets sounded, I genuinely went 'YES! out loud... I thought Mr Smith was going to go down the whole DOGMA route and have the whole God getting his divine judgement on those who deserve it... what a treat it would have been to see the look on Mr Parks and his followers faces when were all consigned to Hell for the awful things they did...

But no... it cut to a rather boring scene of John Goodman and a couple of FBI guys talking about a practical joke... we didn't even see Mr Goodman headbutt the fucker! It's like the last five minutes of PSYCHO, when you follow up a classic fright scene with a whole lot of boring talk... way to let the tyres out of an enjoyable ending.

I can only think that this awful last scene came about because (a) there wasn't enough money to throw in a big SFX-y ending or (b) Kevin Smith bottled it.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of Mr Smith, but this was the least satisfying ending I've seen in years...

Say what now?

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 13
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 22/2/2014 10:38:54 PM   
Onlythebassist

The final soliloquy of 'Withnail and I' is positively heart wrenching, because it changes our impression of Withnail that we've held through the entire film: as burdening, lecherous and not a proven actor.

Delivered with such unashamed passion by Richard E Grant, it is a bittersweet piece of cinema that conflicted with all I had seen until that point. Whereas not a humongous twist, it certainly works on an emotional level to warp our feelings.

P.S - Kudos to OP for mentioning the ending to 'La Haine' - best twist I have experienced to date, rounding out a brilliantly made film

< Message edited by Onlythebassist -- 22/2/2014 10:40:38 PM >

'You have my money taped to your tits, technically you do work for me' - Donnie, The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 23/2/2014 11:02:06 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onlythebassist

The final soliloquy of 'Withnail and I' is positively heart wrenching, because it changes our impression of Withnail that we've held through the entire film: as burdening, lecherous and not a proven actor.

Delivered with such unashamed passion by Richard E Grant, it is a bittersweet piece of cinema that conflicted with all I had seen until that point. Whereas not a humongous twist, it certainly works on an emotional level to warp our feelings.

P.S - Kudos to OP for mentioning the ending to 'La Haine' - best twist I have experienced to date, rounding out a brilliantly made film

Totally agree, OTB... I'd never been so angry with a character then felt so sorry for him at the end...

Not sure if I should start a separate thread called 'Endings that piss you off' but I finally got around to watching KILLER JOE... it was mostly excellent, great performances all around and a few moments that were so, so wrong... she was 12?

But I hated the fact that an utterly suspenseful and shocking last 20 minutes led up to Dottie saying something, Joe seemingly having a sudden change of character with a smile on his face... and then they cut to black and the end credits with no explanation of what might happen next?

It ain't cool or fashionably ambiguous... it's just a completely 100% shit ending. Taking the piss, quite frankly.

Say what now?

(in reply to Onlythebassist)
Post #: 15
RE: Films which change dramatically in their last minut... - 11/3/2014 6:22:11 PM   
IamMax

Well, here's most the obvious post but have to mention....The Usual Suspects.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films which change dramatically in their last minute(s)? *SPOILERS* Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI