Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 1/2/2014 9:44:53 AM   
WolfofWallStreet

I really enjoyed movies like Klass and House of the devil, but there should be a couple of rules in filmmaking about creating a movie that's based on actual events. I understand that the movie will "sell more" and it is a good marketing trick, sort of.. but it's crazy to make a movie about a school shooting, like Klass and then push it as a production based on actual events, when it wasn't. That's totally crazy! :D Following this logic everyone can say that their "masterpiece" is based on actual events... even the creators of Her! :D

< Message edited by WolfofWallStreet -- 1/2/2014 11:15:07 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 1/2/2014 12:06:22 PM   
rich

Fargo says it on screen, but it's not if I remember correctly

As for marketing purposes - if you say "inspired by" true events you can just do anything since it means nothing.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to WolfofWallStreet)
Post #: 2
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 1/2/2014 2:03:37 PM   
Chris Boomen

I like how 'American Hustle' started off with 'Some of this actually happened'. Nowadays every movie is based on actual events. That's how writers work, they take things from their life and use them for their stories in one way or another.

Whenever I hear someone say 'it's based on a true story', I always give them the following example:
If at a time, a little girl was kidnapped, you can make a movie about a little girl that gets kidnapped by three dudes of which one could be batman, and it would still be based on actual events.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 3
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 4/2/2014 9:35:03 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Boomen

a little girl that gets kidnapped by three dudes of which one could be batman

Ah those old clichés huh

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 4
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 6/2/2014 11:18:52 PM   
ElephantBoy

I don't have too much of a problem with it, as long as the viewer is clear where the film stands going in. Its far worse to badly dramatise a tragic real life story, than it is invent a narrative around it which might not be completely true.

Also, The Social Network would appear to be 98% bull shit, but that doesn't change that the film gives us a relievant, thought provoking story.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 19/2/2014 1:20:37 PM   
ccccc

In the case of the documentary-style Blair Witch Project - allowing the audience to believe it was real heightened the horror and helped create a landmark film.

(in reply to WolfofWallStreet)
Post #: 6
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 19/2/2014 1:25:18 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: ccccc

In the case of the documentary-style Blair Witch Project - allowing the audience to believe it was real heightened the horror and helped create a landmark film.

I don't understand this. There's about as much horror in an episode of Peppa Pig as there is the Blair Witch! Heightened my arse...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to ccccc)
Post #: 7
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 20/2/2014 4:16:31 PM   
ccccc

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

I don't understand this. There's about as much horror in an episode of Peppa Pig as there is the Blair Witch! Heightened my arse...

The filmmakers invited the audience to believe it was real. I actually wish I'd believed it was real when I saw it but I'd already read about it and had been eager for its release.

Have you ever been camping? The film's conceit is beautiful and as creepy as hell when you suspend disbelief.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 8
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 21/2/2014 11:20:15 AM   
aidenbrownless

Most of the time in movies the maker change the reality according to the time going on and the trend, but due to some low information of audience they took advantages, if they make some original movies on social problem and history the interest of people may be ended by watching them, we have a setup of mind about science fiction and action movies that is way they produce that kind of movies.

(in reply to ccccc)
Post #: 9
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 21/2/2014 1:57:30 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

Evil Dead 2. Based on events from the first one.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 10
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 22/2/2014 10:26:00 PM   
Onlythebassist

'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' was aimed at convincing the contemporary audience of its validity, but was obviously based on the Ed Gein Murders. In constructing a narrative that takes the content beyond the screen and into the lives of viewers, directors can invoke stronger emotions than are possible by acknowledging the fabrication of the plotline.

It is a largely popular device in cinema, especially within the horror genre. I remember 'The Human Centipede' utilising the grisly tag line '100% Medically Accurate' to both disgust and entice prospective viewers. Shock value consistently relies on bending the morals of the real world, as desensitisation has shown us. And if that means lying to our faces, it is no skin off the nose of the film industry.

< Message edited by Onlythebassist -- 8/3/2014 10:22:01 PM >

'You have my money taped to your tits, technically you do work for me' - Donnie, The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 11
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 6/3/2014 8:58:05 PM   
Jared.Bodner

Horror movies that claim to be based on true stories are usually the worst about it.. Wolf Creek is a great example. If you look up the incident it's supposed to be based on, there was never any evidence found to expand on the survivor's story, and he wasn't there for most of the things that happened in the movie... so any scene without him in it is totally fictional.

(in reply to Onlythebassist)
Post #: 12
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 7/3/2014 11:45:50 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jared.Bodner

Horror movies that claim to be based on true stories are usually the worst about it.. Wolf Creek is a great example. If you look up the incident it's supposed to be based on, there was never any evidence found to expand on the survivor's story, and he wasn't there for most of the things that happened in the movie... so any scene without him in it is totally fictional.

Yes, but I think the ending is hinting at the mystery surrounding an urban legend, that it shows the killer disappearing into thin air maybe suggests than he might have covered his tracks and got rid of all the evidence.

Of course. I am not saying I know how much of the story is true or not, just that it is up the horror film to play around with these ideas and make them all too real, which the film did for me.

(in reply to Jared.Bodner)
Post #: 13
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 10/3/2014 12:41:35 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

quote:

Evil Dead 2. Based on events from the first one.

Ripped off, you mean.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14
RE: FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. - 10/3/2014 4:17:02 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jared.Bodner

Yes, but I think the ending is hinting at the mystery surrounding an urban legend, that it shows the killer disappearing into thin air maybe suggests than he might have covered his tracks and got rid of all the evidence.

Of course. I am not saying I know how much of the story is true or not, just that it is up the horror film to play around with these ideas and make them all too real, which the film did for me.

Wolf Creek doesn't claim to be based on a true story- the three main characters are fictional, as is what happens to them and all the stuff at the end about the survivor getting charged with the murders. The story (and indeed the character of Mick Garret) is loosely inspired by the Ivan Millet murders and the Peter Falconio disappearance but that's about it. The rest is all made up and it never claimed to be anything else.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> FIlms based on actual events, which aren't actually. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI