Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

PG-13 remakes or R-rated films?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? - 25/1/2014 2:05:25 PM   
Padraic Coffey

Most would agree, cinema - particularly genres like horror, science-fiction and action - has been churning out far too many remakes in recent years.

To me, one of the most annoying aspects of this is when films that were previously 18-certificate/R-rated are remade as neutered PG-13 fare.

Take, for instance

Total Recall (2012)
The Wicker Man (2006)
Robocop (2014)

Can anyone think of any other examples?
Post #: 1
RE: PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? - 25/1/2014 3:06:20 PM   
rich

Lower ratings to increase ticket sales is the way things are going, however I don't think that it is closely linked with the quality of the film itself. They could be PG13 and actually good, if they weren't terrible hack jobs. For example the Carrie remake was rated R.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Padraic Coffey)
Post #: 2
RE: PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? - 25/1/2014 9:17:30 PM   
Shifty Bench

You cheating on us with another forum, Padraic? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=48f3b2f27e8a0e7d9a02270e821786f2&t=2057133221

Prom Night and The Stepfather which were both shit but Fright Night got an R rated remake which was pretty good but that was more to do with the film-making than the rating.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 25/1/2014 9:18:21 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 3
RE: PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? - 25/1/2014 11:06:55 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Lower ratings to increase ticket sales is the way things are going, however I don't think that it is closely linked with the quality of the film itself. They could be PG13 and actually good, if they weren't terrible hack jobs. For example the Carrie remake was rated R.

Whilst I agree with your point, part of me will always feel that a Robocop film requires Verhoevian levels of violence.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 4
RE: PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? - 25/1/2014 11:07:53 PM   
rich

But then it would just be violent, not good

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 5
RE: PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? - 9/2/2014 10:27:00 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Whilst I agree with your point, part of me will always feel that a Robocop film requires Verhoevian levels of violence.

Watered down remakes is the most irritating trend in Hollywood right now.

What's wrong with over the top, gratuitous violence, sex and drug taking?

I know that films have to 'appeal to the widest range of person to maximise takings.....' yawn, but they're just all so tedious. Total Recall was just a below average pile of manure clearly designed by several people to cash in on the name. Sometimes I want to be shocked by a film by a director pushing the boundaries, like in Robocop and in particular the demise of Emil. There's nothing like that shocked laugh in a cinema when everybody thinks 'what the actual f*ck did the director just do!' Usually that takes an 18 rated movie to acheive.

I think the answer is for the studio to lower budgets, give a visionary director full creative control and to just say 'go for it son, show us what you can do while we f*ck of and bean count'.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 6
RE: PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? - 12/2/2014 7:48:08 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonezy123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Watered down remakes is the most irritating trend in Hollywood right now.

What's wrong with over the top, gratuitous violence, sex and drug taking?

I know that films have to 'appeal to the widest range of person to maximise takings.....' yawn, but they're just all so tedious. Total Recall was just a below average pile of manure clearly designed by several people to cash in on the name. Sometimes I want to be shocked by a film by a director pushing the boundaries, like in Robocop and in particular the demise of Emil. There's nothing like that shocked laugh in a cinema when everybody thinks 'what the actual f*ck did the director just do!' Usually that takes an 18 rated movie to acheive.

I think the answer is for the studio to lower budgets, give a visionary director full creative control and to just say 'go for it son, show us what you can do while we f*ck of and bean count'.

Pretty much agree with everything here.Its why Dredd was such a breath of fresh air so to speak with it being a sci fi action film with hard R levels of Verhoeven style violence.And crucially, it was actually pretty fucking great too.

Unfortunately, it was also a box office failure so it looks like we are going to continue to be fed PG-13 action films for the forseeable future.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 7
RE: PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? - 6/3/2014 10:03:01 PM   
Jared.Bodner

quote:

But then it would just be violent, not good

Yeah, Verhoeven uses violence to make his stories more relevant. Verhoeven needed an R rating to make movies the way he did. The worlds of his movies are brutal but that makes them feel more real, unlike a lot of action movies that just use violence to make them exciting. A lot of directors couldn't pull that off.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> PG-13 remakes or R-rated films? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI