Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lone Survivor - 23/1/2014 7:31:54 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
semper fi - 23/1/2014 7:31:54 PM   
josh the movie leg

Excellent performances and the best war/action scenes since black hawk down. Forget about the politics and you have an extremely enjoyable war flick .

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 27/1/2014 12:33:13 PM   
jezy

I agree with Empire . One of the most authentic gun scenes I have seen on screen .

Post #: 3
RE: Lone Survivor - 28/1/2014 12:19:46 PM   
spamandham

Atrocious neocon propaganda. Avoid.

Post #: 4
brave brave men - 28/1/2014 6:45:22 PM   
mcgee

A geat film about men who talk the talk and also walk the walk the taliban are bully cowards these guys are the true warriors , and the good villagers show us that we must never make the mistake of tainting everyone with the same brush .

Post #: 5
Bizarre story. - 31/1/2014 7:55:17 PM   
tysmuse

OK, given that this is a true story, this will probably come across as incredibly churlish and insensitive. But throughout the whole story, things kept happening that seem to portray America as incredibly incompetent and ill prepared.

When they find the goat herders. Why did the let them go like that? Why didn't the just tie them up to a tree? or knock them out? or steal their shoes? break their radio? tie their shoelaces together? It just seemed like such an odd decision to allow them to run back to the others.

Next. That their radio equipment was rendered useless so quickly was kinda amusing. That they were willing to throw themselves off a mountain - and not even in a careful, considered way, "well let's at least try and slide down this thing - nope! let's roll down head first' ???

And, maybe it's me, but there's definitely a moment when you see one solider with a helmet on his back??? Yet these guys have such rubbish equipment. To be fair, i'm sure at one point Marky mark says he's lost his medical kit, but none of them carry any sort of bandages?? That they have to resort to plugging wounds with dirt so soon seems strange.

And why - when presumably they're on a stealth-based mission - did only two of them have silencers? When it all kicks off, it doesn't seem quite right that they're not all geared up to fight in the same way.

And then the ending. The good old 'leave no man behind' mantra of the US armed forces is commendable. But where's the logic in sending masses of helicopters and dozens of soldiers to rescue ONE man - who might not even still be alive. Whereas they don't send in more men to begin with!? Wouldn't a slightly larger team have been the more sensible option.

Anyway, worse still is Peter Berg who is uninterested in creating any tension and only concerned about gratuitous bullet-hits.

Post #: 6
letdown - 31/1/2014 11:06:11 PM   
pauliedickhead

This is my first review but i felt compelled to register my interest:

I'm no war expert (i work in an office) but i looked forward to this movie given the cast and director (i liked the kingdom, hancock and friday night lights) but this movie is sooooooooo bad.

some nice shots and performances but really sentimental with the same soundtrack as FNL, overtly pandering to these poor bastards who got caught up in this.......with slow mo death shots, michael bay sunsets and caricature afghans but then to add insult to injury to finish with loads of still photos of said poor bastards with their loved ones after the event, just to hammer home the "emotion."

I hated it i have to say, felt it was very patronising, disrespectful to the story and immature. what would a paul greengrass have made of this compelling story? a better movie probably but mr berg you need to have a look at yourself and the bigger picture, this was way off mate.

Post #: 7
RE: letdown - 1/2/2014 8:17:47 PM   
WolfofWallStreet

An amazing accomplishment in cinema. When you see the cover and the name you might think it's just your typical war movie, but it's definitely not. It's filled with emotion and drama. The dedication of the actors to this productions is simply mind-blowing. All the guys did a great job, mainly I was impressed with Ben Foster, that dude evolves every single time we see him on the big screen. Watch the movie, it's an experience you won't forget soon!

(in reply to pauliedickhead)
Post #: 8
RE: letdown - 1/2/2014 11:17:16 PM  1 votes
Whistler

People are bound to go on about how it's biased or propagandistic or jingoistic, but I really don't care. As a piece of cinema, I think this one of the finest war films of the last few decades. Completely gripping, strikingly realistic, totally believable.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to WolfofWallStreet)
Post #: 9
TYPICAL EMPIRE - 3/2/2014 1:07:43 PM   
rulookn atme

good film 3 stars you are having a laugh lone ranger 5 anybody if not directed by thier pals no chance of decent review total sychophants to speilberg jackson et all

Post #: 10
Interesting reactions - 5/2/2014 3:04:13 PM   
sebby6000

There's so many mixed reactions to this movie already on this feed and having read them I have a tendency to agree with certain aspects of all of them.

I enjoyed the movie mostly, although there would have been considerably more tension if it wasn't called Lone Survivor with an opening shot of the survivor been flown to safety. The shoot out was great, but as tysmuse said there was an element of ill-preparedness for no reason. Why not have a back up unit close by? And how about making sure you've got the means to get support there ASAP.

I thought the performances were pretty good from all 4 of the main actors. I didn't really care for the slow mo deaths, but Berg created something that was at least watchable following the pretty unwatchable Battleship.

Post #: 11
Lone Survivor - 5/2/2014 5:29:05 PM   
ruddick

I was shocked how much I enjoyed it! stared with same old american cheese..bad. Then got extremely good with awesome fighting scenes ( the falling was like something i have never seen before... awesome) and ended just good. But i was really enjying wahlbergs performances. I loved it xx

Post #: 12
- 5/2/2014 6:31:19 PM   
Osric

That reads like a two star review to me, and I think it's a two star film for all the reasons James specifies. Yes, the action is good, but it's politics and sentimentality are bullshit.

Post #: 13
Zero Dark Hurty. - 5/2/2014 11:59:53 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

The film had spent the best part of two hours convincing me that Seal Team 10 were dedicated, loyal, determined, and human; so playing a string-quartet version of Bowie's Heroes over an extended photo-montage of the actual team seemed a little more mawkish than sincere.

Less 'hearts and minds' and more 'preaching to the choir', Lone Survivor feels like a great film trying to burst out of a dramatised reconstruction.

FYI, Mr Berg, the two don't have to be mutually exclusiveÖ

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 14
Ouch - 6/2/2014 9:55:54 AM   
bretty

I read the book some time ago and there is much more to it that is portrayed in the film. The books covers SEAL training and the sense of brotherhood, the incident in the film and the protection by the villagers. Certainly the village aspect is far less violent than the film.

Having said that and the film only showing a certain aspect of the book, I quite enjoyed it. It felt very real (and painful) even if the bad guys were a little bit clichéd and showed just what a difficult environment it is to fight a war. I never quite understood why they didn’t go for Option B and ties the guys up to buy time.

Also interesting to see Eric Bana as the SEAL commander, presumably promoted on the basis of his exploits in Blackhawk Down!!

Post #: 15
Ouch - 6/2/2014 9:55:56 AM   
bretty

I read the book some time ago and there is much more to it that is portrayed in the film. The books covers SEAL training and the sense of brotherhood, the incident in the film and the protection by the villagers. Certainly the village aspect is far less violent than the film.

Having said that and the film only showing a certain aspect of the book, I quite enjoyed it. It felt very real (and painful) even if the bad guys were a little bit clichéd and showed just what a difficult environment it is to fight a war. I never quite understood why they didn’t go for Option B and ties the guys up to buy time.

Also interesting to see Eric Bana as the SEAL commander, presumably promoted on the basis of his exploits in Blackhawk Down!!

Post #: 16
"Arduous" Way to the respect the dead... - 6/2/2014 9:14:33 PM   
turkish_187

Poor show describing the montage at the end as arduous. You could've chosen to leave. Especially disrespectful to the families.

Post #: 17
RE: "Arduous" Way to the respect the dead... - 7/2/2014 11:26:15 AM   
paulyboy

Thoroughly enjoyed this, but although well intentioned I'm sure, it overplays the sentiment at times, especially frustrating when it didn't need to, the film had plenty of poignancy without having to hammer it home for good measure.

Still well worth a watch mind.

3.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to turkish_187)
Post #: 18
RE: "Arduous" Way to the respect the dead... - 11/2/2014 8:30:05 PM   
Dr Lenera

Based on a failed "Operation Red Wings" mission which takes place on June 28, 2005, a four-man Navy SEALs team - Marcus Luttrell, Michael P. Murphy, Matthew Axelson and Danny Dietz - are sent into the Hindu Kush mountains of Afghanistan to apprehend Taliban commander Ahmad Shah. However, their mission is compromised when they stumble upon local goat herders. Facing a dilemma whether to kill them or to let them go, they choose the latter option - an ill-fated decision that soon costs them dearly.

Because of my hatred of that pointless, illogical, irritating, eye-hurting and headacheĖinducing disease in modern cinema called shakycam, a hatred becoming so strong that Iím beginning to avoid films I think will contain it [I say think Ė an increasing number of reviews of films are failing to warn readers if a film has it or not so Iím not always sure], I almost didnít see Lone Survivor. And boy does it have a lot of shakycam, in fact itís almost constant for the second half, though itís quite well done at first. Director Peter Berg does a decent job of conveying the intensity of combat and for a while itís quite thrilling and not as unwatchable as, say, the last half hour of Jack Ryan, though because the second hour of this film is pretty much all action, it eventually becomes too much and even as I write this short review, I feel a little sick. Given that many people have reported how shakycam makes them feel sick or gives them headaches, I think itís highly irresponsible of film-makers to use the style so much.

Ignoring that, Lone Survivor is a pretty solid war actioner, though it hardly starts promisingly, with footage of actual Navy SEALs training and then the voice of the Lone Survivor narrating so we know who it is, ruining much of the suspense later. We donít really get to know the four main characters either, though theyíre all well played, with Mark Wahlberg definitely doing one of his acting rather than non-acting performances. The first half is rather tense though and feels very authentic, though I canít get rid of the idea that the soldiers are being portrayed as rather ill-prepared and stupid, especially during the crucial scene with the goat-herders. The ensuring action does benefit from the use of practical effects Ė why do people keep using CGI blood when it looks so crap? - and a detailed self-surgery scene may prove to be one of the queeziest of the year. Largely avoiding politics, despite much claiming to the contrary by some lefties who dislike any film which portrays soldiers as heroes Ė it does over-egg the emotion towards the end, and is no classic of the genre despite what some are saying, but is generally a decent job, gripping and convincing enough to have you on the edge of your seat. If you have no problem with shakycam, it's probably worth an extra star.
6.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 19
RE: "Arduous" Way to the respect the dead... - 14/2/2014 1:27:12 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Largely avoiding politics, despite much claiming to the contrary by some lefties who dislike any film which portrays soldiers as heroes
6.5/10

Condescension aside, IT DOES show politics though, the entire coda about the Afghans' relations with the Taliban is political enough even if it avoids it for most of the film, and it is weird. The whole "OUR SOLDIERS THERE ARE HEROES GEDDIT HEROES" is also an utter simplification of a complicated, to say the least, conflict and the reasons behind it go beyond simplifications like "they are heroes" or "they are trained murderers".

And I liked the movie quite a bit, mostly because I wasn't expecting Armadillo, The Hurt Locker or Restrepo (the last two which do manage to strip any politics of its subjects) out of it but an effective action film, but there is some jingoism in there.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 14/2/2014 3:21:34 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 20
God Bless America Ahemm - 18/2/2014 4:19:03 PM   
WozisWoz

Well other then the action scenes and a few good performances the film comes across as advert to join the army.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Lone Survivor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI