The Failures of 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The Failures of 2013 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Failures of 2013 - 22/1/2014 1:56:13 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So in 2013 we had quite a large number of high profile, big budget projects that lost a lot of money. Let's have a look at the main culprits:

Jack the Giant Slayer:
Budget: 195 Mil
WW Gross: 197 Mil

White House Down:
Budget: 150 Mil
WW Gross: 205 Mil

After Earth:
Budget: 130 Mil
WW Gross: 243 Mil

The Lone Ranger:
Budget: 215 Mil
WW Gross: 260 Mil

R.I.P.D.:
Budget: 130 Mil
WW Gross: 78 Mil

47 Ronin:
Budget: 175 Mil
WW Gross: 116 Mil

Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters:
Budget: 90 Mil
WW Gross: 199 Mil

Red 2: Budget: 84 Mil
WW Gross: 142 Mil

Please feel free to add any i've missed. I need to add that the budget listed is merely the production budget, and that with marketing etc on top, these budgets would actually be far greater.

Now the above list is interesting in that i don't think any of them were overtly terrible movies. After Earth was probably the weakest, along with R.I.P.D. i guess. The Lone Ranger, White House Down, Jack the Giant Slayer and 47 Ronin actually had a lot going for them. George Lucas and Steven Spielbrg predicted this kind of scenario not too long ago, wherein we would end up with a number of very costly flops, due to the increasing amount of tentpole releases coming out each year.

One of the biggest problems here is that technically White House Down, After Earth and 47 Ronin (based on a Japanese legend) are original stories, as this will tell the studios that audiences are not interested in original stories, they just want sequels, remakes and adaptations.

What can anyone make of the above list? Did you like any of these movies and thought perhaps it was unfair that they flopped? Is there a pattern in the above list?

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 22/1/2014 1:57:28 PM >

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!
Post #: 1
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 22/1/2014 5:37:09 PM   
snaze1

The only thing i can add is that Jack the giant slayer was enjoyable and that The Lone Ranger was one of my favourite of last year!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 22/1/2014 7:37:52 PM   
Chris Boomen

It does not necessarily tell studios that we want sequels. Look at Percy Jackson 2 and Kick-Ass 2. Studios are most likely learning, that it is not smart to just pump hundreds of millions of dollars into a movie.

And íf studios were getting afraid of releasing originals, there are still some great movies that taught them differently. Gravity used its 100m budget to make 678m worldwide.

People were afraid Now You See Me would not fare under all those big-budget tentpoles and look at how that 75m budgeted flick made over 350m worldwide, and if I'm correct, it's a huge hit on DVD.

Of course, the biggest moneymakers are always animation movies, sequels and franchises, but I believe that the only thing studios will learn from that list, is that movies do not necessarily need to spend more money to make more money.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 3
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 23/1/2014 1:32:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I forgot about Kick-Ass 2, i should add that one to the list. I'm surprised we got Kick-Ass 2 and Percy Jackson 2. I think that was a case of the Studio being desperate to prove they had a viable franchise.

Yeah Now You See Me did great business, but then it bucked the trend of all the other summer movies and was a nice change of pace to those.

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 4
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 23/1/2014 1:34:05 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I didn't realise Kick Ass 2 budget was as low as 28 Mil. As they only spent a modest amount I don't think i can class it as a complete failure. It may make it's budget back.

Post #: 5
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 23/1/2014 8:47:12 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Boomen

It does not necessarily tell studios that we want sequels. Look at Percy Jackson 2 and Kick-Ass 2. Studios are most likely learning, that it is not smart to just pump hundreds of millions of dollars into a movie.

Red 2 flopped too.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 6
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 24/1/2014 10:33:53 AM   
spark1

some of the studios will be happy that certain 'failures' did $100-200mil worldwide with dvd/blu sales added later.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 24/1/2014 10:42:02 AM >

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 7
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 25/1/2014 1:46:27 PM   
Chris Boomen

Kick-ass and Percy Jackson both got their sequels from their high dvd-sales. Kickass made about 60m, while it had to play about 90m to breakeven. I know dvd-sales will make it profitable in the end, but it did kind of fail and the studio saw that coming, hence the budget lowering after the first one.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 8
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 28/1/2014 8:45:45 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I guess it was a gamble, same with Percy Jackson like you say. It was such a crowded year for movies, some of the sequels got left in the dust, especially the one's that few asked for (Red 2, Percy Jackson 2)

Post #: 9
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 28/1/2014 5:42:33 PM   
rich

I don't want to watch any of those. Doubt that I am their target audience though. Maybe the idea of known brands selling better isn't too far fetched. Then again maybe over 200mil on a Western is ridiculous, maybe full CG giants is a really bad idea and maybe Roland Emmerich and Ryan Reynolds should go away, who knows.

< Message edited by rich -- 28/1/2014 6:39:30 PM >

Weekend write-ups

Post #: 10
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 29/1/2014 10:34:32 AM   
Chris Boomen

On the other hand, big-ass CGI robots from another planet sounds even more stupid. And even though I haven't seen RIPD, Reynolds is usually not the problem of the terrible movies he is in. He should get a new agent, that is able to filter crap for him, as Reynolds is actually a decent actor.

~Brad Bird

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 11
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 29/1/2014 11:33:54 AM   
FoximusPrime

Maybe he's just got a tax bill of Snipes or Cage proportions.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

Post #: 12
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 30/1/2014 11:25:10 AM   
Jimjam2014

I can't believe that Red 2 flopped so hard, yes granted it wasn't as good as the first one but the comedy value in this film was good. hmm maybe online downloads had something to play in regards to this?

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 13
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 31/1/2014 8:55:06 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimjam2014

I can't believe that Red 2 flopped so hard, yes granted it wasn't as good as the first one but the comedy value in this film was good. hmm maybe online downloads had something to play in regards to this?

See i actually thought Red 2 was better than the first. They're both fairly average movies, but the 2nd one upped the action at least and had a great turn from Antony Hopkins.

(in reply to Jimjam2014)
Post #: 14
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 31/1/2014 8:56:49 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I thought that perhaps the Carrie remake had been a flop but it looks like that made 84 Mil WW on a 35 Mil budget. Although i recall some people pegging it as a flop?

Post #: 15
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 31/1/2014 11:16:19 AM   
Chris Boomen

It should have done better at the domestic box office. I'm not sure, but I also think Carrie still has some markets to go.

~Brad Bird

Post #: 16
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 9/2/2014 2:49:03 AM   
RobsRants

Worst movie of all time goes to Kick Ass 2

Post #: 17
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 9/2/2014 11:40:03 AM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobsRants

Worst movie of all time goes to Kick Ass 2

its about the box office, not the quality of the movie.

(in reply to RobsRants)
Post #: 18
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 14/2/2014 1:45:29 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Kick Ass 2 was better than the first, or at least equal.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 19
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 15/2/2014 2:26:16 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 20
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 16/2/2014 12:12:37 PM   
spark1

i think 'jackson 2' lost out as it had no big names in the cast this time and no chris columbus at the helm.

Post #: 21
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 17/2/2014 8:56:09 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

LOL. Wow I've never seen you use that before.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 22
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 23/2/2014 8:54:10 AM   
Groovy Mule

With some of the flops you can see why they failed. Was there really a big market clamouring for a RED or Percy Jackson sequel? I suspect not.

In most other cases, the quality just wasn't there and in many cases that showed in the trailers. Ripd and After Earth had dreadful trailers and that had a substantial impact. If the trailer doesn't draw people in, you're relying on word of mouth. Having had the misfortune to see After Earth, I can say it had nothing going for it at all.

I feel sorry for The Lone Ranger and White House Down. Lone Ranger was enjoyable in the vein of the first Pirates film but got a kicking by US critics and never recovered. White House Down was more fun than Olympus Has Fallen but was beaten into cinemas and the plots were too similar.

The next question is what will be this year's flop films - my money is on Rio 2 and Divergent doing badly. I'm interested in seeing how Noah does.

Post #: 23
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 23/2/2014 12:04:52 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Groovy Mule

With some of the flops you can see why they failed. Was there really a big market clamouring for a RED or Percy Jackson sequel? I suspect not.

In most other cases, the quality just wasn't there and in many cases that showed in the trailers. Ripd and After Earth had dreadful trailers and that had a substantial impact. If the trailer doesn't draw people in, you're relying on word of mouth. Having had the misfortune to see After Earth, I can say it had nothing going for it at all.

I feel sorry for The Lone Ranger and White House Down. Lone Ranger was enjoyable in the vein of the first Pirates film but got a kicking by US critics and never recovered. White House Down was more fun than Olympus Has Fallen but was beaten into cinemas and the plots were too similar.

The next question is what will be this year's flop films - my money is on Rio 2 and Divergent doing badly. I'm interested in seeing how Noah does.

If movies box office success depended on good reviews then there would be a LOT more flops.Anything by the likes of Paul Anderson and Michael Bay tend to get terrible reviews but go to make lots of money because they appeal to the masses.Lone Ranger flopped because while the bad reviews didnt help, westerns are a hard sell these days, it cost a lot of money to make, and it just wasnt very good.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 24
RE: The Failures of 2013 - 23/2/2014 5:37:13 PM   
Chris Boomen

Divergent looks so boring from its trailer. Chances are it will be bad.

For 2014, I'd go with X-men: dofp, having only little chance to make its money back. Apparently the production budget was 300m already. I don't see this movie making a lot more than 500m worldwide, which would come not even close to covering those costs. Hercules also has really big chances at losing big time at the BO. A lot of news reports suggest that it will move its release date though. Either horrible bosses 2 or dumb and dumber to will bomb. My chances are on the latter.

~Brad Bird

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The Failures of 2013 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI