Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Edinburgh Film Festival 2014

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals >> Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 21/1/2014 9:59:13 PM   
Scruffybobby

Might seem a bit early to be starting a thread in January but there's already been an announcement that gives a hint if what to expect. A strand for German films. Nothing actually named yet but could be interesting. I liked the Korean strand last year.

http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/blog/2014/01/focusing-on-germany

I want to taste you like yogurt.
Post #: 1
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 29/4/2014 4:51:15 PM   
Scruffybobby

Closing night film and details of German cinema thread announced.

http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/

Can't say it's one I'm dying to see.

Full prgramme is announced 28 May with tickets onsale 02 June (or 29 May if you're a Filmhouse member), looking forward to that

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 2
Empire Hero Hangouts EIFF 2014 - 9/5/2014 7:26:55 PM   
Scruffybobby

Surprised this isn't on the main Empire site

http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/news/2014/05/movies-biggest-heroes-to-hangout-with-empire-magazine-at-eiff

Could be awesome, the Fest has been a bit lacking in big name appearances in the last few years, hopefully this will make up for that.

Post #: 3
RE: Empire Hero Hangouts EIFF 2014 - 17/5/2014 5:22:42 PM   
LustForLeith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Surprised this isn't on the main Empire site

http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/news/2014/05/movies-biggest-heroes-to-hangout-with-empire-magazine-at-eiff

Could be awesome, the Fest has been a bit lacking in big name appearances in the last few years, hopefully this will make up for that.

This sounds great - any word on those who'll feature yet?!

Post #: 4
RE: Empire Hero Hangouts EIFF 2014 - 19/5/2014 10:37:09 AM   
elab49

It'll be in the festival programme - launch 28th.

I go to festivals to see films not interviews so this isn't that interesting for me, nor is the inevitable Godfather showing. I'm just hoping the festival produces an interesting line-up. I know we shouldn't compare negatively but I've spent time off at Glasgow doing up to 5 films a day - last year I didn't do anymore than 1 day in Edinburgh and one was for a retrospective that ran over because they started late and then the chap doing the intro wanted to do some kind of routine where he chatted to a mate in the audience, thereby making it run ever later so we'd to miss the end and watch the rest at home. Fortunately they'd cocked up the running of the other film we went to see.

Glasgow has a more personally curated feel to it, Edinburgh, to me, doesn't really.

I noted this elsewhere - the FIlm 4 Summer Screen premieres are the new Dardennes, a doc on Nick Cave and one of the Conchords doing a vampire comedy. On past form it is possibly one will be the surprise film. While all will clearly be a step up from About Time, is anyone really going to take the risk this year, just in case?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to LustForLeith)
Post #: 5
RE: Empire Hero Hangouts EIFF 2014 - 19/5/2014 6:28:30 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

I go to festivals to see films not interviews so this isn't that interesting for me, nor is the inevitable Godfather showing. I'm just hoping the festival produces an interesting line-up. I know we shouldn't compare negatively but I've spent time off at Glasgow doing up to 5 films a day - last year I didn't do anymore than 1 day in Edinburgh and one was for a retrospective that ran over because they started late and then the chap doing the intro wanted to do some kind of routine where he chatted to a mate in the audience, thereby making it run ever later so we'd to miss the end and watch the rest at home. Fortunately they'd cocked up the running of the other film we went to see.

For me the In person parts have always been some of the highlights of the Fest, they've done some great ones with Sean Connery, Roger Corman, Joe Dante (he signed my Gremlins DVD), Patrick Stewart and Ray Harryhausen (got to shake his hand) (last year all they had was Robert Carlyle which was good but could have had a lot more) .They all proved highly entertaining. I'm really quite keen to see who they've got lined up.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 19/5/2014 7:59:59 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Empire Hero Hangouts EIFF 2014 - 21/5/2014 6:56:54 AM   
elab49

Absolutely - but it doesn't add to my personal interest in the festival at all. If it somehow enhances how they curate the films, fine. But it's not a Q&A festival it's a film one - I'm hoping they don't fall down on the film part and rely on traffic from the let people see celebs up close bit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 7
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 25/5/2014 5:28:53 PM   
Acho

I won a pair of tickets to the opening night film (HYENA) and after party the other week - wooh!

Looking forward to seeing the full programme on Wednesday when it launches.

Post #: 8
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 25/5/2014 6:39:09 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

I won a pair of tickets to the opening night film (HYENA) and after party the other week - wooh!

Nice one! Pity it's a the bloody Festival Theatre though. Terrible venue for films.

Also very much looking forward to Wednesday, may not get much work done that day.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 9
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 1/6/2014 8:43:23 PM   
Scruffybobby

Okey dokey, these are the films I'm looking at seeing

Hyena (opening film) 21:05 18/06
The Anomaly 18:10 19/06
Greyhawk 20:30 19/06
Cold in July 18:00 20/06
In order of Disappearance 20:40 20/06
Intruders 18:10 21/06
Doc of the Dead 20:15 21/06
The Green Inferno 15:15 22/06
A Most Wanted Man 18:00 22/06
Snowpiercer 20:20 22/06
Castles in the Sky 18:15 23/06
Still Life 20:15 25/06
Life After Beth 18:20 26/06
The Infinite Man 20:40 26/06
That Guy Dick Miller 14:15 27/06

Post #: 10
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 6/6/2014 1:58:53 PM   
Acho

Good list. Mine is a bit more second-week-heavy as I'm now working at the festival the first week. There are some screenings I'd really like to go to but just can't, then there are others I'll hop into on a whim on the day (that's usual where the foreign ones I know absolutely nothing about will come in!). Have some overlaps on my list too - can't decide on some yet!

The Cat - 21/-06 - 13:10
Let Us Prey - 21/06 - 22:40
A Night In Old Mexico - 22/06 - 13:30
Castles in the Sky - 23/06 - 18:15 (quite looking forward to this one - got to see a great, long, cheap Eddie Izzard gig in Musselburgh back in January when he was over filming!)
My Accomplice - 23/06 - 20:45
Hellion - 24/06 - 18:00
Daughters - 24/06 - 20:30
A Dangerous Game - 24/06 - 20:35 (or 28/06 - 15:30)
Beloved Sisters - 25/06 - 18:30
Empire Hero Hangout: Elijah Wood - 25/06 - 20:30
Life After Beth - 26/06 - 18:20
Achtung! Maybe! - 27/06 - 19:00
Is The Man Who Is Tall Happy? - 27/06 - 20:30
In Order of Disappearance - 27/06 - 20:40
Doc of the Dead - 28/06 - 18:15
Snowpiercer - 28/06 - 20:15
A Most Wanted Man - 28/06 - 20:45

Post #: 11
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 6/6/2014 8:38:18 PM   
Acho

I also quite fancy going along to the Empire podcast recording. Feels a bit rich to be charging a fiver for it though!

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 12
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 22/6/2014 12:44:50 PM   
Scruffybobby

My thoughts so far

Hyena - great performances and some very gritty scenes (and one particularly unpleasant rape) but the story isn't really anything we've not seen before and the characters, beyond the lead, are pretty stock and the open ending is unsatisfying 3/5

The Anomaly - a great central premise and effective action scenes but these become a bit samey, and Clarke doesn't really convince in the lead role. It's entertaining enough and Clarke as director squeezes a lot out of a limited budget, but it's all a bit forgettable and Brian Cox is wasted.2.5/5

Greyhawk - Alec Newman puts in a solid central performance as a largely unlikeable (he's rude, ungracious and demanding) yet sympathetic lead. A low key and unhurried film that is ultimately probably more at home on TV.

Cold in July 1 - Michael C Hall, Sam Shepard and Don Johnston make for a likeable, unlikely alliance in a very entertaining, surprising and often blackly funny film. There are a couple of frustrating loose ends (although these may be elements dropped because they no longer matter). Overall well worth a look even if just for the 80's vibe and Hall's mullet. 4/5

Yet to see something amazing but haven't seen anything truly bad either

In order of Disappearance - Nasty, violent and very funny. Stellan Skarsgard is on great form in this slice of comedic Nordic noir. 4/5

Intruders - Good fun film about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Plenty of black humour and nice suspenseful vibe throughout. 3/5

Doc of the Dead - Entertaining enough but it doesn't really say anything new. Well worth a look for fans of the genre though. 3/5

Haven't seen anything yet to blow me away, but haven't seen anything truly bad either. Got a ticket for the Empire Podcast recording -they announced that Brian Cox would be there at the Anomaly screening. Haven't heard who else but looking forward to seeing him

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 13
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 22/6/2014 7:38:57 PM   
elab49

I would have been able to try a couple of films this week but, and this is really annoying, Edinburgh doesn't really start showing films till about 5pm. I'd be on film 4 by then in Glasgow.

I'll be seeing Cold in July this weekend or so anyway as it's out and would have because I've been enjoying Jim Mickle's stuff since seeing Stakeland at Glasgow a couple of years ago. In Order of Disappearance is one I picked up from the brochure that I do wish i'd been able to catch though.

quote:

Post #: 14
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 25/6/2014 1:26:02 AM   
Beetlejuice!

Just met Elijah Wood. Totally starstruck. His new film, Set Fire to the Stars was excellent and I'd say includes one of Wood's finest performances, whilst Celyn Jones is terrific in the more showy role as Dylan Thomas.

Cast and crew sat in the same row as me at the premiere, shook Wood's hand. Awesome

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 27/6/2014 9:01:11 PM   
Scruffybobby

Saw Elijah at the Empire podcast recording along with Brian Cox. I asked a question to the Empire team at the end so you can hear my voice on the podcast. I hate how I sound though but doesn't everyone?

So I've now seen everything I planned to. It was a pretty good fest this year. There wasn't anything I saw that was bad so that's always a bonus. My remaining thoughts

The Green Inferno -. Pretty much what you'd expect really, nasty, gory and maybe just a little bit racist. Not nearly as horrible as its most obvious influence Cannibal Holcaust but that would be quite an achievement. Was a nice bonus to see Eli Roth at the screening though. I wasn't expecting to see him 4/5

A Most Wanted Man - Some superb performances espcially from the late PSH and well written but bloody hell it's slow. I don't need every spy movie to be Bond/Bourne and I like Tinker, Tailor... at lot but I did struggle with this a bit. Will defo give it another go though 3/5

Snowpiercer - Stunning looking throughout and utterly barking in parts. Deserves to be a huge success but is probably just too weird. Tilda Swinton is brilliant as the tweedy, Thatcheresque villain. 4.5/5

Castles in the Sky - Funny and charming but maybe just a little bit too "Sunday teatime" Eddie Izzard is great in the lead role of Robert Watson Watt. His nephew was present at the screening (just a couple of seats away from me) and he seemed to be very impressed, which I guess is high praise indeed. 3/5

Still Life - Was surprised by how touching this is. Eddie Marsan is brilliant as a fussy, fastidious, grey seeming but utterly human and compassionate man devoted to caring for those who died alone. The final scene may not be to everyone's taste but it worked for me. 4.5/5

Life After Beth - Very funny , the film that Warm Bodies should have been. Dane DeHaan is as good as always but the film belongs to Aubrey Plaza in a hilarious, very physical, fierce yet sympathetic performace. 4/5

The Infinite Man - Clever, twisty, funny and weird. A superb little film. 4/5

That Guy Dick Miller - enjoyable tribute to a cult legend 3/5

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 28/6/2014 12:40:11 AM >

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 16
RE: Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 - 28/6/2014 1:10:22 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Set Fire to the Stars (2014) - 10/10
Have to say it's an odd feeling sitting in the same row as Elijah Wood when watching his new movie, luckily enough though it's a fantastic, beautiful little indie film following a brief stint in the life of poet Dylan Thomas. So didn't fall asleep or anything like that, ha.
Shot in a beautifully stark black and white with tremendous performances from Celyn Jones and Elijah (he's never been so good!). Managed to shake Elijah's hand after the film to congratulate him on it, totally mean it as well. A fantastic film and a great experience I'll never forget.

Life After Beth (2014) - 9/10
This is a brilliant zombie comedy with Aubrey Plaza giving a hilarious performance as the girl who has returned from the dead. Finding new stuff to do with a zombie movie must be difficult but writer/director Jeff Baena manages to make the whole thing stil feel original and is helped by a great comedy supporting cast and Dan DeHaan once again proving he's probably the best actor of his generation at the moment. A brilliant black comedy and was very pleased to meet Plaza and Baena (writer of one of my all time favs I Heart Huckabees) at the premiere.

Honeymoon (2014) - 7/10
This little chiller film is masterful in its setting up of it's creepy tale, as a newlywed couple take a break in a cabin in the woods (yep, we're going there again). The two stars, Game of Thrones' Rose Leslie and Harry Treadaway are very good at creating a convincing relationship and equally fantastic when the shit hits the fan. Unfortunately the film eventually doesn't live up to its promise, despite one gruesome set-piece not enough really happens. Met the stars afterwards, they were lovely, and Treadaway is HOT!

EMPIRE Hero Hangout: Elijah Wood
This was a brilliant interview with one of my favourite actors, Wood was funny, charming, told some wonderful stories and anecdotes about his career. Discussed many different things such as the various stars who auditioned for LOTR (Kylie, Vin Diesel), his own audition for Sin City (stare blankly into screen), jumping around his room when he got offered the Frodo role, his relationship with Macaulay Culkin, his work post-LOTR, his love of music, etc.
He was really fantastic and very graceful when it came to answering the questions from the audience (which included some bizarre questions from crazed fans). Also the man just gets more and more handsome!

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals >> Edinburgh Film Festival 2014 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI