Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Latest Maleficent Trailer Appears Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Latest Maleficent Trailer Appears Online Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Latest Maleficent Trailer Appears Online - 21/1/2014 10:24:58 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Why? - 21/1/2014 10:24:58 AM   
Oroborous

This looks about as worthwhile as Oz the Great and Powerful. What possible benefit is there in making pointless, ill concieved retellings of stories if they aren't going to be infused with any tangible effort, imagination or dignity but instead are manifested in the most generic manner imaginable? Sure, lure in audiences through fondness of the original cartoon, make some money in doing so, have them leave the cinema feeling insulted by the price they just paid to sit in a lifeless void; a grey, nothing-space in which a far off whispering of past, nigh-forgotten glories is heard faintly as though through a thick fog of regret. Do this, but don't expect to look in the mirror and feel an ounce of respect for yourself, or pride in your works.
What must be next, a gritty and heart-wrenching glimpse into the troubled childhood of Gaston from Beauty and the Beast, directed by Christopher Columbus?
'Bambi: The Untold Story': A cinematic depiction of the tumultuous but touching home life of 'Ol' George', a hunter who one day unthinkingly shoots the mother of an innocent young deer in the wood, directed by Tim Story and starring Dustin Hoffman?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Solid family picture - 21/1/2014 12:54:30 PM   
Jasper_29

The actors are game, the world looks wondrous instead of artificial and the special efffects seem impressive. Why the hate?

Post #: 3
RE: Solid family picture - 21/1/2014 1:31:11 PM   
GrizBe

The more I see of this, the more I want to see it. It looks wonderfully dark while being a great Disney movie at the same time.

As for an 'ill conceived retelling'. Its not. Its a tale from a different perspective. Clearly some people aren't intelligent enough to realise that and would rather belittle 'the lack of imagination in modern hollywood' then see it for the new take on an old classic that it is.

It bet these same people hate the Cumberbatch Sherlock for being a pointless retelling of old stories, or the Abrams Star Trek for being devoid of new ideas.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 4
RE: Solid family picture - 21/1/2014 3:19:36 PM   
Oroborous

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrizBe
It bet these same people hate the Cumberbatch Sherlock for being a pointless retelling of old stories, or the Abrams Star Trek for being devoid of new ideas.

Perhaps in future it would be best for you to initiate some kind of thought process before implying an absolute knowledge of other people's tastes, it may save you from appearing to be foolish. You seem to misunderstand the difference between retelling a story and a lack of imagination and effort in that retelling. The examples you give are both worthwhile re-tellings because a genuine effort is made to make the material engaging and different from what has come before. On the other hand, this film looks utterly generic, overly digital and cinematically dull; with nothing to differentiate it from other failed films like the recent Oz, Jack the Giant Killer, Alice in Wonderland or The Desolation of Smaug. It's not pointless because it's a re-telling or recylcing of ideas, it's pointless because it doesn't appear to have made anything special from those ideas. Throwing overly computery CGI at something doesn't make it visually impressive from my perspective, nor does high contrast between shadow and light make something dark.

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 5
RE: Solid family picture - 21/1/2014 4:30:22 PM   
GrizBe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oroborous

On the other hand, this film looks utterly generic, overly digital and cinematically dull; with nothing to differentiate it from other failed films like the recent Oz, Alice in Wonderland or The Desolation of Smaug.

Hahahaha... omg. Sorry but this is all I need to look at to know your just trolling here.

Oz more then doubled it's budget in takings and has a sequel in the works. Hardly a failed film. Alice in Wonderland has made over $1billion, and also has a sequel, and a stage adaptation in the works. Again, not a failure. And as for Smaug... a film that's been out barely 2 months and has made over $800million is a failure? LOL

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 6
- 21/1/2014 10:30:55 PM   
Hishonce1959

my roomate's mom makes $85 hourly on the computer . She has been without work for seven months but last month her paycheck was $17541 just working on the computer for a few hours. more information......http://x.co/3guXL

Post #: 7
Money talks, apparently. - 22/1/2014 8:43:33 AM   
ericcoyle

There is some one on this talk back who thinks box office receipts equals quality of film? Transformers 1 and 2? Titanic? Smaug ( that one actually made me angry, a terrible dumbing down of a great story from someone who I used to respect as a film maker)? It is unfair to criticise without seeing the end product but on the other hand some of us are fed up with being so desperately disappointed.

Post #: 8
RE: Money talks, apparently. - 22/1/2014 1:03:23 PM   
GrizBe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericcoyle
There is some one on this talk back who thinks box office receipts equals quality of film? Transformers 1 and 2? Titanic? Smaug ( that one actually made me angry, a terrible dumbing down of a great story from someone who I used to respect as a film maker)? It is unfair to criticise without seeing the end product but on the other hand some of us are fed up with being so desperately disappointed.

Hence my point though... you can't call a movie a failure, or judge it as such before its even out simply because you have some kind of chip on your shoulder over similar productions. Now, while the Transformers movies, may not have been classic cinema the will stand the test of time, the fact still remains that they made a boatload of money. If they were truly as aweful as people are making out, they'd have been critically panned and people would not have gone to see them. While bucks does not equal quality, I agree, it does show that enough people liked a movie to make it a success. Hell, I know plenty of people who hate Avatar and call it a Pocahontos knock off as I know people who loved it and raved about it and as we all know, Avatar earned a fortune. The same goes for the likes of Titanic and Avengers. I know plenty of people who hated them, and they're some of the highest earning movies ever. But to call them a failure as they've not done the source material justice? Well that's just plain ignorance in anyones book.

I however agree about Smaug. Its nowhere near as good as the books, or the original LotR movies. Yet a failure of a film? No.

(in reply to ericcoyle)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Latest Maleficent Trailer Appears Online Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI