Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

BAFTA Nominations 2014 Announced!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> BAFTA Nominations 2014 Announced! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BAFTA Nominations 2014 Announced! - 8/1/2014 9:15:46 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: I don't get it - 8/1/2014 10:46:41 AM   
darkershadeofme

I guess because it was filmed in the UK with a UK crew and has a British Producer. Also, Warner Bros has a UK branch which is largely independent from the US equivalent.
Post #: 2
RE: I don't get it - 8/1/2014 11:00:16 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris wootton

How is Gravity defined as an English film?

BRITISH

I'd guess through the production side with David Hayman, although Bafta has been getting extraordinarily elastic of late. Paper independence of UK subsidiaries is really just a tax thing,

Sad to see Bafta continue down the mini-me route - it used to give greater respect to films not in the English language instead of leaving them in the Foreign Film ghetto. And it would help out their fairly dire animation list too.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 3
RE: They are British Films because...... - 8/1/2014 2:35:00 PM   
Nicky C

Yes, we know the rules. The rules, after all, are the problem! The new tax relief rules have reclassified what consitutes a British film with absolutely no intention whatsoever of benefitting the British filmmaker or the British audience. They are only designed to keep American studios employing British technicians and look where that's now got us. Typical Tory corporate-cock sucking logic if you ask me. These UTTER FUCKING BULLSHIT nominations are exactly what we knew would happen and it makes me wants to ram an Arri Alexa up Ed Vaizey's clueless colon until he screams the theme tune from the Long Good Friday. In France and Denmark most of the top ten movies in their box office every year are financed, created and distributed internally. They make popular movies for their home crowd that make a profit and the reason they make a profit is that their government makes it their business to ensure that their countries have a sustainable internal film industry. Quite simply, they GIVE A SHIT about their homegrown cinema. In the UK, we don't even OWN our theatres! Few people are even AWARE that our theatres are U.S.-owned. Why would an American theatre show a British movie when it doesn't have to? Mainstream UK cinemas are American businesses showing American product and just because they shoot a couple of scenes at Greenwich Naval College that doesn't mean Michael Powell is going to jump out of his grave and save us from the charisma vortex that is Danny Dyer. The REAL British cinema is independent. The REAL British filmmakers are people like Shane Meadows who get fuck all money but go and make something amazing anyway because they're interested in telling a story, not getting a pay cheque with 'Warner Bros' written on it. Of course they source talent near the location, that's no indicator of anything. That would make Gladiator Maltese, FFS! Even MacDonald's uses British Beef in the UK! Sourcing local talent merely to HELP a Mexican director make his American movie cannot and will not ever make that film British.
Post #: 4
RE: They are British Films because...... - 8/1/2014 3:31:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: webber6969

...according to BAFTA rules (http://static.bafta.org/files/rule-book-bafta-film-awards-1314-1634.pdf page 9):

3. OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
This award was created to recognise initiative and endeavour in British film, aiming to reward outstanding and original British filmmaking which shows exceptional creativity and innovation.

Additional eligibility criteria:
 To be eligible, a film must have significant British creative involvement and be certified as British under one of the BFI/DCMS’s three definitions available here http://www.bfi.org.uk/film-industry/british-certification-tax-relief;
 Only exceptionally will a non-certified film be considered. Final decisions on eligibility rest with BAFTA’s Film Committee;

Indeed. And it seems, often, it's exceptional they consider creative talent and focus on the cash. Although a lot of British tech apparently does it when us idiot filmgoers tend to think it should be things like actually British, directors, screenwriters, producers creative type things.

I really have no issue with scale - 'successful' or 'big' doesn't make something not British and it's as wrong, IMO, to suggest British is just small scale indie stuff.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 5
RE: I don't get it - 8/1/2014 5:16:19 PM   
chris wootton

Also, apologies for the English/British mix up.. although it seems we are all American now anyway :)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> BAFTA Nominations 2014 Announced! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI