Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

12 Years A Slave; Awkward silence anyone?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 12 Years A Slave; Awkward silence anyone? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12 Years A Slave; Awkward silence anyone? - 15/1/2014 11:38:19 AM   
hellomissharper

After the last scene passed; I sat wide-eyed looking at the screen taking in all the predictable outcomes of the true story. Informing me that regardless of the struggles of one man's story as a African man living in America during the 18th century, that no real justice prevailed...

I think it's worth-while knowing about the different individual stories of people like Solomon, but there are millions of stories like his untold, lost and forever buried. It just so happens that this one made it to a wider audience and is sellable in the 21st century. Oh yeah, and many profited from this mans suffering. Seems legit (…. not).

There are many people that will probably blog about this movie because of the PR buzz created around it's release; on the story-line, the actors performance and the creative direction.

Now, there's nothing in this film that shocks me or nothing new learnt about the destructive and brutal rape of the African culture during this period in time.

Personally I'd like to see more films about what it was like before slavery? During the times of Kings and Queens, native traditions etc. But I won't hold my breath as I could be waiting a long time.

Moving along swiftly.... what I've always wanted to know is:

What or how do white people (American and European) feel when they watch such films about their ancestors and their cruelty to other human beings?

Read the rest of this blog here > www.hellomissharper.com

< Message edited by hellomissharper -- 15/1/2014 11:46:29 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
OK, OK, WE ARE SORRY!! how many times do we have to apo... - 15/1/2014 2:17:10 PM   
ruddick

we are sorry! again! for what happened with slavery but come on!! please stop hurting and pointlessly disturbing us and making us feel guilty over again. just have fun and have laugh like Django Unchained that was an amazing film. I know 12 y a s is a true story and sounds like a good one but now its spoiled instead of making it into a awesome epic with good acting its just a cheap nasty film. sorry but rubbish x brad pitt haha comes into the film as himself to save a slave haha xx

Post #: 32
Move along, please. Nothing to see here. - 16/1/2014 10:49:25 PM   
Pop Leibel

One star because it's yet another slavery film where its worthiness slaps you in the face with every frame.

(in reply to ruddick)
Post #: 33
RE: OK, OK, WE ARE SORRY!! how many times do we have to... - 17/1/2014 12:05:44 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruddick

we are sorry! again! for what happened with slavery but come on!! please stop hurting and pointlessly disturbing us and making us feel guilty over again. just have fun and have laugh like Django Unchained that was an amazing film. I know 12 y a s is a true story and sounds like a good one but now its spoiled instead of making it into a awesome epic with good acting its just a cheap nasty film. sorry but rubbish x brad pitt haha comes into the film as himself to save a slave haha xx

Sorry but are saying that all films about Slavery should be fun. SLAVERY WAS NOT FUN . Django Unchained was a rubbish revenage fantasy film. Would you like all World War II films to be like Dad Army all the time?. Grow up.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 17/1/2014 12:13:09 PM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to ruddick)
Post #: 34
RE: Move along, please. Nothing to see here. - 17/1/2014 1:49:50 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pop Leibel

One star because it's yet another slavery film where its worthiness slaps you in the face with every frame.

As it fucking should do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruddick

What the absolute shit are you on about? "Just have fun and have a laugh!"? I assume this is what you think about Schindler's List? "Cheer up Schindles and just have a laugh!".

(in reply to Pop Leibel)
Post #: 35
You knew the beats - 18/1/2014 11:18:19 AM   
lelandmeeks

How many people would agree that you knew the movie's beats and major plot points BEFORE the movie even began? The subject matter is a well-trodden path and one that any aspiring screenwriter could easily mimic. On the plus side, Brad Pitt looked funny with his little beard and jaunty hat.

Post #: 36
RE: Brilliant filmmaking - 19/1/2014 9:59:06 AM   
m_er

I had huge expectations and was hoping to see something different from the other slavery based films. I mean it's a very good film with amazing acting and so. But nothing new/special for me.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 37
An honest, detached look at slavery - 24/1/2014 12:32:36 PM   
janans

Rating - 4.5/5

12 Years a Slave is a film that benefits hugely from its subject matter. Its numerous flaws, including another particularly disappointing score from Hans Zimmer and a deus ex machina appearance made by Brad Pitt in the film’s final moments, are more than made up for by [director] Steve McQueen’s brutally blunt but appropriate approach to the plot. Not once does the film patronise the audience, abuse our preconceptions, nor does it fall into the easy trap of “reverse racism”.

The story of a free man kidnapped and sold into slavery (which is in essence the story of the entire slave trade), 12 Years a Slave features strong performances all around, with my particular praises to Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michaael Fassbender. Its pace is perfect, and its graphic approach is honest - while it doesn’t shy away from brutality, it refrains from simply sickening us with horrifying images.

Instead, we’re reminded of the beauty of humankind, and how fortunate many of us are to be living - not merely surviving.

All About Films - reviews, reblogs, and general musings about film

Wordpress - http://allaboutfs.wordpress.com - Tumblr - http://allaboutfilms.co.uk

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 38
soloman deserves to be immortalised but mcqueen is to n... - 28/1/2014 6:26:51 PM   
mcgee

I watched the film last nite and totally understand showing us the negative of slavery ,but the ending could have shown us more positivity because all in all this has a good end not only did soloman get home to his family but he went out tryin to free other slaves this is a very brave and positve part of this mans life considering what he had been through the director could have shown that , I have seen django unchained three time s i would not watch this film again but god bless soloman glad his name is out there on a larger scale but the director is to negative.

Post #: 39
soloman deserves to be immortalised but mcqueen is to n... - 28/1/2014 6:31:03 PM   
mcgee

I watched the film last nite and totally understand showing us the negative of slavery ,but the ending could have shown us more positivity because all in all this has a good end not only did soloman get home to his family but he went out tryin to free other slaves this is a very brave and positve part of this mans life considering what he had been through the director could have shown that , I have seen django unchained three time s i would not watch this film again but god bless soloman glad his name is out there on a larger scale but the director is to negative.

Post #: 40
Puuuurfect. - 30/1/2014 5:56:46 PM   
fuzzy1659

For me this is why i love movies, a director who's ability is matched by his confidence and a cast who are damn near faultless from start to finish. Although after seeing it i can't imagine the film being made without Chiwetel Ejiofor as Solomon. His facial ticks and expressions throughout say so much of his hopelessness without him having to utter a single sentence. 1st Shame now this, Steve McQueen has just moved right into my favorite directors troupe.

Post #: 41
A moving experience - 6/2/2014 4:19:32 PM   
minibrew86

I went to see 12 Years A Slave last night and thought it was an incredible yet very moving experience. One of the best films i have seen in a long time and derserves every award it is nominated for.

Post #: 42
Film of the Year!!! - 27/2/2014 7:17:45 PM   
Ciaran McDaid

So powerful, Steve McQueen made an EPIC film!!!! This calls for an Oscar!!!

Post #: 43
- 27/2/2014 11:03:55 PM   
TheGodfather

Just got back from:

12 Years A Slave
This is the unbelievable but true story of Solomon Northop, a free black man from upstate New York who gets kidnapped and sold into slavery. He does everything in his power to survive and somehow maybe see his family again sometime. He falls into the hands of the ruthless slaveowner Epps, who isn`t scared by anything or anyone, doing everything to get rich from the cotton industry. A rebellious slave is the last thing he needs.

This is one of the films that I`ve looked forward to the most over the past few months. Luckily all my expections were met, and surpassed. It`s a film that graps you hard by the throat and doesn`t let go until the end credits start rolling. With beautiful long shots, McQueen and cinematographer Sean Bobbitt create an atmosphere that makes you feel uncomfortable all the time. It all looks stunning, many shots look moving paintings, but the gruwesome acts that come with slavery (wich are shown without any holding back) make you almost nauseous. The best example of that is the scene in wich Patsey (Lupita Nyong'o) is beaten with the whip until she bleeds and her back is ripped open. Those are only some of the images that you are unlikely to forget easily.
The long shots don`t obtrusive, they always serve the story. The power partly lies in the fact that there isn`t always music added to the images. McQueen knows the power of his moving paintings and let them speak for themselves instead of adding that sometimes overly present Zimmer score

The highly-praised cast is amazing, with a fantastic Chiwetel Ejiofor leading the pack. As the decisive Northop he`s present in every scene and carries the film without problems. But the real hero in all this is Michael Fassbender. It`s truly unbelievable how easy he scares you as the sadistic slave-owner Epps. Every time he enters the frame you, as well as his slaves, fear him and his actions.

Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 12 Years A Slave; Awkward silence anyone? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI