Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives - 3/1/2014 1:30:26 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
I'm not a tweenage girl with low standards... - 3/1/2014 1:30:26 PM   
launcelot

...so I won't be going to see this derivative, vacuous crap.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: I'm not a tweenage girl with low standards... - 3/1/2014 1:45:49 PM   
odddaze

quote:

ORIGINAL: launcelot

A tad mean. The show was very well received by adults and teens alike if I remember correctly.

That being said, I'm not a tweenage girl with low standards either, just an adult male with middling standards and I certainly can't wait. Very big fan of the series, glad to see the tone of the show is still there. Shame to see Piz in such a big role, never really cared for him but looking forward to this all the same.

< Message edited by odddaze -- 3/1/2014 1:46:06 PM >

I am The Ugly Truth!

(in reply to launcelot)
Post #: 3
Not a teenagers either - 3/1/2014 1:52:45 PM   
zombiecazz

Loved the series. The trailer looks like they're holding true to the show. Never liked Piz, always seemed a bit wet for Veronica. Better be coming to the UK in March too. Spread the Love!

Post #: 4
RE: I'm not a tweenage girl with low standards... - 3/1/2014 1:56:08 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: odddaze

quote:

A tad mean. The show was very well received by adults and teens alike if I remember correctly.

That being said, I'm not a tweenage girl with low standards either, just an adult male with middling standards and I certainly can't wait. Very big fan of the series, glad to see the tone of the show is still there. Shame to see Piz in such a big role, never really cared for him but looking forward to this all the same.

Why do teenage girls have low standards?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to odddaze)
Post #: 5
RE: I'm not a tweenage girl with low standards... - 3/1/2014 2:23:03 PM   
rawlinson

If anyone genuinely thinks Veronica Mars was aimed at tweenagers (usually defined as being 10 - 13) they either never watched the show or are just trolling for attention. Unless an ongoing theme of rape is generally considered tweenage entertainment these days.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 6
RE: I'm not a tweenage girl with low standards... - 3/1/2014 3:21:00 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

So not a fan then ?. Thanks for telling us Launcelot I can now get on with my day.

Really can not wait to see this the TV series was great.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to launcelot)
Post #: 7
Hmm - 3/1/2014 3:55:58 PM   
guysalisbury

I've never seen the series but as a stand alone this looks pretty terrible. Aren't the trailers supposed to show good bits to entice you in?! Eeeeek! Also, is it supposed to be a serious drama or comedy. I'm not really sure this kind of comedy works when you are using serious subject matter. Shows like Dexter did it well because is was black comedy. Anyway, what do I know. Go nuts people. Unless it gets 4 or 5 stars I'm going however near it! :-)

Post #: 8
RE: Hmm - 3/1/2014 5:01:39 PM   
elab49

It's not a simple genre like comedy or drama though. The humour in the show was often quite dark as it tried to hark back to the language of classic pulp detectives, reworked for a Californian high school. Before Brick it put elements of noir back into high school. It was intelligent, funny and often quite dark. Early screenings suggest the balance has stayed the same, no matter what they try to do to the trailer to bring in new viewers. Not watching the trailer as I don't want spoiled, but I'm guessing it's possible the tone isn't quite a match? But I would anticipate (hope) it will be very funny - but not in the tediously repetitive gross out way most 'comedies' aim for these days.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 3/1/2014 5:02:39 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 9
RE: Hmm - 4/1/2014 9:43:35 AM   
superdan

I would greatly appreciate it if people could refrain from using the term 'tweenage' and its derivations. It is an abomination of a word. Thank you.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
A down day for cinema - 4/1/2014 12:22:32 PM   
J_BUltimatum

It gets frustrating when you see rubbish like this getting made by film companies but they don't green light decent projects like a Dredd sequel, heck even a live action Mr Blobby biopic would be better than this drivel! If this film doesn't put the final nail in the coffin for Ms Mars then I don't know what will!

Post #: 11
Who gives a sh&t - 4/1/2014 3:18:32 PM   
mclane1

5 people maybe watched the show, trailer looks bland, sure it's a direct to netflix ( or as I like to say DTN, your welcome). Pants

Post #: 12
RE: Who gives a sh&t - 4/1/2014 4:14:08 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

5 people maybe watched the show, trailer looks bland, sure it's a direct to netflix ( or as I like to say DTN, your welcome). Pants

You may have missed the biggest Kickstarter funding story since it started.

Initial response has already given it a wider theatrical release than was originally planned - ie a planned theatrical release rather than direct to Netflix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 13
RE: Who gives a sh&t - 4/1/2014 4:26:03 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

quote:

ORIGINAL: J_BUltimatum

It gets frustrating when you see rubbish like this getting made by film companies but they don't green light decent projects like a Dredd sequel, heck even a live action Mr Blobby biopic would be better than this drivel! If this film doesn't put the final nail in the coffin for Ms Mars then I don't know what will!

Nice to see you're both ready to give this thing a fair shot.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 14
Seriously... - 4/1/2014 4:29:31 PM   
GrizBe

If anything, this show you that kickstarter is supported by idiots if something like this can get made, and then something like Firefly can get ignored.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Seriously... - 4/1/2014 4:37:00 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrizBe

If anything, this show you that kickstarter is supported by idiots if something like this can get made, and then something like Firefly can get ignored.

The people who kicked in the money to see this thing come to fruition are obviously passionate about the show making the jump to film. That's not idiocy, that's dedication and love for something they believe in. Thing is, like Firefly, Veronica Mars was cancelled before its time and left its fans hungry for more. Would it be idiocy for Joss Whedon to finance a film through kickstarter and ask his fans to stump up the cash for a new series or movie? No, of course not, because Firefly fans are obviously totes amaze and the fans of some blonde chick are clearly idiotic. Or at least that's the subtext I'm getting from your post.

Honestly, how fucking sniffy about fan culture can you possibly get?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 4/1/2014 4:50:23 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 16
RE: Seriously... - 4/1/2014 5:08:57 PM   
elab49

quote:

What part of the 3 series of TV, which I'm assuming you've watched, particularly irked you?

And Firefly has not been ignored, it's not been offered - Whedon was asked. So the comparison fails I'm afraid

And I'm enjoying my T-Shirts thank you - but not randomly being called an idiot

< Message edited by elab49 -- 4/1/2014 5:13:24 PM >

quote:

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 17
RE: Seriously... - 4/1/2014 5:11:41 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, I was just going to say, Whedon was asked and explicitly said it was a no go for several years at least because he was too tied up with Marvel. He also said he's a huge fan of Veronica Mars and loved the fact it was getting a film.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Seriously... - 4/1/2014 5:28:43 PM   
GrizBe

I'll point out though that kickstarter also funded the Pebble... a smartwatch which is proving to be a flop. The Ouya console, which has proven to be a flop. A Zack Braff movie.... and then about 15 other projects which were massively funded, but canceled due to be fraudulent, or ' overambitious and therefore impossible to complete'.

Just because something got funded on kickstarter doesn't make it good, and this is going to be no exception...

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 19
RE: Seriously... - 4/1/2014 5:39:44 PM   
elab49

quote:

I'll point out though that kickstarter also funded the Pebble... a smartwatch which is proving to be a flop. The Ouya console, which has proven to be a flop. A Zack Braff movie.... and then about 15 other projects which were massively funded, but canceled due to be fraudulent, or ' overambitious and therefore impossible to complete'.

Just because something got funded on kickstarter doesn't make it good, and this is going to be no exception...

But your absolutely disdainful 'this' - so you've seen the TV series and know why you're so absolutely riled about the trailer? I'm just trying to work out where the extreme statements are coming from in this thread as most of those posting them seem to know nothing about the series. I assume you must have.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 4/1/2014 5:40:03 PM >

quote:

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 20
RE: Seriously... - 4/1/2014 5:40:10 PM   
rawlinson

So basically your problems with this film are

1. It's not Firefly

2. Kickstarter has led to some things getting funded that failed.

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 21
RE: Seriously... - 4/1/2014 5:41:45 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

And those things are comparable to Veronica Mars the Movie because...?

Something tells me you'd be singing a different tune if Firefly got kickstarter. And I see you failed to take on board Rawlinson's and Elab's points.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 22
RE: Seriously... - 4/1/2014 5:42:45 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

So basically your problems with this film are

1. It's not Firefly

2. Kickstarter has led to some things getting funded that failed.

I think there is also a point to make about existing creatives continuing - which takes Zach Braff's vanity project out. With V Mars it was a demonstration to a studio to add to the investment, and to distribute.

Peter Lord got more funding for Morph on Kickstarter - again, it's more from the same creative teams.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 23
RE: Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives - 4/1/2014 5:51:12 PM   
MonsterCat

I'll say this about the film: I tried to watch the show, and despite Kristen Bell being very charming and a cameo from the lead singer of my all-time favourite band, it wasn't for me and I tuned out. However, it's obviously a very important part of a lot of people's lives and the fact the film got made by the support of fans is an impressive feat. Good on them. The same goes if it was Firefly.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 24
RE: Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives - 4/1/2014 6:09:42 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I'll say this about the film: I tried to watch the show, and despite Kristen Bell being very charming and a cameo from the lead singer of my all-time favourite band, it wasn't for me and I tuned out. However, it's obviously a very important part of a lot of people's lives and the fact the film got made by the support of fans is an impressive feat. Good on them. The same goes if it was Firefly.

I like the show, I wouldn't call it - or any show really - an important part of my life. That's a part of fandom I've never really understood.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 25
RE: Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives - 4/1/2014 6:21:17 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

No, you've got this all wrong. You're meant to cry and whine because it's got made rather than your personal fanboy favourite. Then you insult the intelligence of people who want to see it. That's how this thread works.

quote:

I like the show, I wouldn't call it - or any show really - an important part of my life. That's a part of fandom I've never really understood.

I like the first two series a lot. The third was pretty bad, mostly because of the focus on Pez or whatever the fuck his name was.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26
RE: Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives - 4/1/2014 7:48:39 PM   
elab49

But would you call it a big part of your life? That's a whole different scale - like some of the nuts that follow some filmmakers.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27
RE: Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives - 5/1/2014 8:55:48 AM   
rawlinson

No, but there's other things I would look at in the same way.

I'm actually in two minds about seeing the film. I haven't watched the trailer, so I'm not sure if Pez is back or not, but if he is, it's pretty much like making a Buffy film and giving Riley a big role. The creator is aiming it at an audience I'm not part of.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives - 5/1/2014 11:51:45 AM   
elab49

Do you want to know? Because I can tell you now.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29
RE: Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives - 5/1/2014 11:58:31 AM   
rawlinson

I'm guessing he is, isn't he?

Damn it.

Maybe the film will see Logan brutally beat him to death in the opening scenes, and then Veronica finds out and laughs about it. That'd be good.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Veronica Mars Trailer Arrives Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI