Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Disney Releases First Official Guardians Of The Galaxy Image And Synopsis

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Disney Releases First Official Guardians Of The Galaxy Image And Synopsis Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disney Releases First Official Guardians Of The Galaxy ... - 2/1/2014 12:44:47 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: I'm sure this will be fun... but - 2/1/2014 6:20:23 PM   
drawmyfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Madhava

... why is there always an "orb" or a "tesseract" or some such vague object that has the power to destroy the universe in Marvel movies? Couldn't there be a proper threat that we can all connect with and that makes freaking sense?

It's because each of these "orbs" are the movie versions of the infinity gems which, in the comics, when bought together with the infinity gauntlet (catchy names, huh?) which was briefly seen in Thor, form the ultimate power in the universe that Thanos (purple, smiling dude seen during the credits to the avengers) is after.

To put it another way; each of these smaller MacGuffins are leading toward a larger MacGuffin that will be revealed in a later film. Basically it's forming the over-arching story of Phase one and two (and maybe three, too) which is quite exciting forward thinking if you're a nerd like me! :D

My face is my fortune. Can I borrow a fiver...?
Post #: 2
RE: I'm sure this will be fun... but - 2/1/2014 7:04:09 PM   
Osric

Is that Michael Knight's evil twin from Goliath?

(in reply to drawmyfoot)
Post #: 3
RE: I'm sure this will be fun... but - 2/1/2014 7:45:51 PM   
drawmyfoot

The very same! Garth Knight- you can tell he's eeveeel from his facial hair!

(in reply to Osric)
Post #: 4
RE: I'm sure this will be fun... but - 2/1/2014 9:05:18 PM   
Osric

AWESOMENESS!

< Message edited by Osric -- 2/1/2014 9:06:02 PM >

(in reply to drawmyfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: I suspect mcguffins like... - 3/1/2014 9:16:40 AM   
drawmyfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: partybee

"orbs" and (the flimsiest yet) the "aether" chime real well with the kiddies. I don't mind such plot devices in films like this BUT Marvel could do a bit more to imbibe them with a bit of substance. The "aether" was so one dimensional and unimaginative (not that I didn't like the film as a whole, mind) that I almost wondered if it had been written by a 13 year old dabbling in fan fiction.

Yeah, can't really argue with that, although I've yet to find that that aspect has dampened my enjoyment of the films, but that's just me. I'm hoping that, as it's starting to lead toward the larger arc over the films in the various "phases" that we'll be able to look back slightly more forgivingly once the dust has settled. You can't fault Marvel for ambition!!

Post #: 6
RE: I suspect mcguffins like... - 3/1/2014 9:33:03 AM   
NicholiB

quote:

ORIGINAL: drawmyfoot

quote:

"orbs" and (the flimsiest yet) the "aether" chime real well with the kiddies. I don't mind such plot devices in films like this BUT Marvel could do a bit more to imbibe them with a bit of substance. The "aether" was so one dimensional and unimaginative (not that I didn't like the film as a whole, mind) that I almost wondered if it had been written by a 13 year old dabbling in fan fiction.

Yeah, can't really argue with that, although I've yet to find that that aspect has dampened my enjoyment of the films, but that's just me. I'm hoping that, as it's starting to lead toward the larger arc over the films in the various "phases" that we'll be able to look back slightly more forgivingly once the dust has settled. You can't fault Marvel for ambition!!

Tend to agree with this point. When these Macguffins were devised for individual comic plot devices, they were years apart and, at least initially, not parts of the same story lines. They are beginning to feel a little samey and modern exposure to Raiders of The Ark, LOR etc is also making their use as plot devices seem very.....well "ho hum, yet another ultimate weapon".

As they are such a vital part of the thread that ties the Marvel Universe together, they are needed. However, maybe a little more imagination or self mocking humour is needed in their presentation? Give the precredit LOR style explanations a miss, minimise their significance to the plot line have something like Stark saying "what, another ultimate weapon? Someone really needs to tell these guys what ultimate, actually means here, "

(in reply to drawmyfoot)
Post #: 7
RE: I suspect mcguffins like... - 3/1/2014 2:03:35 PM   
drawmyfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: NicholiB

quote:

ORIGINAL: drawmyfoot

quote:

Tend to agree with this point. When these Macguffins were devised for individual comic plot devices, they were years apart and, at least initially, not parts of the same story lines. They are beginning to feel a little samey and modern exposure to Raiders of The Ark, LOR etc is also making their use as plot devices seem very.....well "ho hum, yet another ultimate weapon".

As they are such a vital part of the thread that ties the Marvel Universe together, they are needed. However, maybe a little more imagination or self mocking humour is needed in their presentation? Give the precredit LOR style explanations a miss, minimise their significance to the plot line have something like Stark saying "what, another ultimate weapon? Someone really needs to tell these guys what ultimate, actually means here, "

Lol, agreed! I'm going to be interested to see how they deal with the new McGuffin (I knew it wasn't spelt with an "A"- dammit!) in GotG, as what I've seen so far looks like it's going to have a nice mix of adventure and irreverence, which will hopefully dial down the portentous eyebrow-furrowing, which works great in Thor but would be nice to have a break from...

(in reply to NicholiB)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Disney Releases First Official Guardians Of The Galaxy Image And Synopsis Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI