Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 5:47:53 PM   
sanchia

That was 1873 though...

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 91
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 6:10:44 PM   
Scott_

Olympus Has Fallen eh? Who knew it would cause so much trouble.

After having a think I would like to nominate Only God Forgives as the worst movie I saw last year. I'll have to watch it again like I did Valhalla Rising but I really didn't like first time around, found it to be a boring, black hole of a film with nothing but good cinematography going for it.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 92
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 9/1/2014 12:13:26 PM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

I don't think Olympus has Fallen was necessarily mysogynystic, but that scene where the secretary of state gets her arse kicked all over the bunker is completely cringe inducing - mainly because of her flag waving speech type thing she does as she's taking a beating. It would only tug on the heartstrings of rednecks and Republicans! In fact all of the cigar chomping, flag waving American clap-trap that went on in that film bordered on the offensive IMO!

It's more that it's basically just a shit film at the base of it all! There's very little to like about it - especially when you compare it to an almost identical film in terms of plot (White House Down) which is far better acted, much funnier (meaning it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as OHF) has much more likeable characters and far, far better action scenes!

Anyone that thinks OHF is actually a good film probably also thinks Raw Deal is a good film too!

Personally I found WHD's sickening glorification of Obama more hard to take, while OHF's bad guys were far more believable than WHD's 'Democrat nightmare' bad guys. I'm more 'centre' politically, but nothing about WHD convinced me for its duration. Despite its occasional shakycam, overall OHF's action was far better [in staging and filming] than WHD's too.

Raw Deal? I'd say it's goodish. Not great Arnold, but certainly enjoyable. On the same level as, say, The Running Man or Eraser.

Case and point mate! Just kidding - each to their own!!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 93
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 12/1/2014 4:17:54 PM   
Jonezy123

My films are from those released on DVD in the UK in 2013

Best - Good Vibrations. Great music, great directing, superb acting. And the scene where Teenage Kicks, one of the greatest pieces of pop music ever, gets played twice by John Peel, is perhaps the most joyous scene ever. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a few tears. All set against the backdrop of the troubles and the misery they brought. Brilliant film.

Worst - I avoid the obvious rubbish like Film 43 (whatever it's called, I can't be bothered) and Die Hard 5 (honestly, why pay money to go watch them?) so any worst contenders are usually a shock or films I've taken a punt on, like Spring Breakers. It's so terrible I'm sure everybody involved is cynically taking the piss out of the viewers at every stage. Somebody above mentioned the Britney Spears scene, which I have to say is the single worst scene I've EVER seen. They must have been joking? What was James Franco thinking? Is it all a joke? And the downright perving by the directer on the three girls is unforgivable. I'd go as far as to say it's the worst film I've ever seen. How anybody above can say it was a pleasant suprise is beyond my understanding, or that is in someway arthouse-ey? It isn't. It's terrible, and not in a 'I've got to see it if it's so bad' sort of way, it's terrible in a Human Centepide way. Utterly meaningless rubbish designed for idiots.

Most disappointing - I would say Into Darkness, but I expected it to poor. A good spectacle, but it was so dumbed down that it was ruined. A film produced for the muggles. So for me the most disappointing is Man of Steel, as the hype was so huge. But; awful script, terrible directing and laughable acting. Considering the superb Mike Shannon and Amy Adams are cast, it beggars belief how bad it is. The final CGI sequence is so unbelievably terrible. The script explanation sequences are annoying. Basically it's a film that insulted my intelligence.

Most suprising - Pacific Rim. I'd usually avoid dumb robot-y films like the plague, but this had the trump card of Guillermo del Toro. So I went to watch it as it was intended; 3D IMAX just incase. True it is a dumb film, and I just can't stand Charlie (I can't act) Hunnam or that guy from Eastenders. And the plot away from the robots and monsters is ruuuuubbish. But Jesus H Christ, how awesome are the Jaegers vs Kaiju scenes? Very awesome. It's just a ridiculous romp of a film. And Rinko Kikuchi, mmmmmmmmmmmm.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 94
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 16/1/2014 10:23:01 AM   
Chronicle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonezy123

My films are from those released on DVD in the UK in 2013

Best - Good Vibrations. Great music, great directing, superb acting. And the scene where Teenage Kicks, one of the greatest pieces of pop music ever, gets played twice by John Peel, is perhaps the most joyous scene ever. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a few tears. All set against the backdrop of the troubles and the misery they brought. Brilliant film.

Worst - I avoid the obvious rubbish like Film 43 (whatever it's called, I can't be bothered) and Die Hard 5 (honestly, why pay money to go watch them?) so any worst contenders are usually a shock or films I've taken a punt on, like Spring Breakers. It's so terrible I'm sure everybody involved is cynically taking the piss out of the viewers at every stage. Somebody above mentioned the Britney Spears scene, which I have to say is the single worst scene I've EVER seen. They must have been joking? What was James Franco thinking? Is it all a joke? And the downright perving by the directer on the three girls is unforgivable. I'd go as far as to say it's the worst film I've ever seen. How anybody above can say it was a pleasant suprise is beyond my understanding, or that is in someway arthouse-ey? It isn't. It's terrible, and not in a 'I've got to see it if it's so bad' sort of way, it's terrible in a Human Centepide way. Utterly meaningless rubbish designed for idiots.

Most disappointing - I would say Into Darkness, but I expected it to poor. A good spectacle, but it was so dumbed down that it was ruined. A film produced for the muggles. So for me the most disappointing is Man of Steel, as the hype was so huge. But; awful script, terrible directing and laughable acting. Considering the superb Mike Shannon and Amy Adams are cast, it beggars belief how bad it is. The final CGI sequence is so unbelievably terrible. The script explanation sequences are annoying. Basically it's a film that insulted my intelligence.

Most suprising - Pacific Rim. I'd usually avoid dumb robot-y films like the plague, but this had the trump card of Guillermo del Toro. So I went to watch it as it was intended; 3D IMAX just incase. True it is a dumb film, and I just can't stand Charlie (I can't act) Hunnam or that guy from Eastenders. And the plot away from the robots and monsters is ruuuuubbish. But Jesus H Christ, how awesome are the Jaegers vs Kaiju scenes? Very awesome. It's just a ridiculous romp of a film. And Rinko Kikuchi, mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well it is a joke of some sorts.. I love how most of the people that went to see this film probably were young MTV fans thinking to see a long episode of one of those idiotic shows you see on that channel. For me this movie just shows how dumb young people can become if those type of things become their ideals.

While I can totally understand someone not liking this movie, saying this is the worst movie you've ever seen is a bit exaggerated. The thing that made me like this movie the most was the style and the cinematography of Spring Breakers. Visually is was one of the most stylish movies I saw since Drive.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 95
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 31/1/2014 10:40:01 PM   
WolfofWallStreet

Best: The Wolf of Wall Street

Worst: A Good Day To Die Hard

Most Disappointing: Her

Most Surprising: Uwantmetokillhim?

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 96
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 2/2/2014 10:09:25 PM   
Coyleone

Best - Before Midnight / Beyond The Hills

Worst - Now You See Me / The Desolation Of Smaug / Man Of Steel (this is only out of what I saw, obviously, but these three were not good, not good at all)

Most Disappointing - Man Of Steel (I guess)

Most Surprising - Frances Ha / The Way Way Back

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 97
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI