Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 7:03:57 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I honestly don't see where the fun part is in Olympus Has Fallen, it's pretty misogynistic and mean spirited. White House Down was more fun in my opinion but hey, each to their own and all that

Gunfire, blood, explosions, dudes getting stabbed in the head, what's not to like? Like you say, each to their own but I enjoy that shit. I don't need every film to be a masterpiece of writing and direction for me to enjoy it.

The Expendables had something similar and was one of the most dull action films I have ever seen. The problem was the tone of the piece. There was far too much glee over the unpleasant rather than making it a broad and enjoyable action film.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 61
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 7:40:58 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I can't believe Olympus has fallen is being called misogynistic, so any movie with violence towards women is misogynistic? I cant see what makes Olympus has fallen an exception. It was actually a refreshing change to see some of the violence in this movie as i was surprised that a Hollywood movie had the balls to go there, especially for a big movie. It was necessary to show the extreme lengths the antagonists were willing to go to. Also for Eckharts character, forcing his hand. As for the rest of the more ott violence, it was fun and brutally satisfying. I remember everyone taking great pleasure in The Raid which is way more violent than OHF. Die Hard has quips abound mixed with hard violence, it seems strange that people are so offended by OHF considering its another action movie aimed at adults. Maybe best to stick to PG13 if something has frivolous as OHF offends you. I'm not being flippant.i just cant understand what people found so unacceptable.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 62
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 9:44:35 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I can't believe Olympus has fallen is being called misogynistic, so any movie with violence towards women is misogynistic? I cant see what makes Olympus has fallen an exception. It was actually a refreshing change to see some of the violence in this movie as i was surprised that a Hollywood movie had the balls to go there, especially for a big movie. It was necessary to show the extreme lengths the antagonists were willing to go to. Also for Eckharts character, forcing his hand. As for the rest of the more ott violence, it was fun and brutally satisfying. I remember everyone taking great pleasure in The Raid which is way more violent than OHF. Die Hard has quips abound mixed with hard violence, it seems strange that people are so offended by OHF considering its another action movie aimed at adults. Maybe best to stick to PG13 if something has frivolous as OHF offends you. I'm not being flippant.i just cant understand what people found so unacceptable.

THIS!!!!!!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 63
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 11:01:26 AM   
NCC1701A

People moan about 12 rated action films like Die Hard 5 so when a film comes out that feels more like a action film from the 80s/90s people still have a moan. Olympus has fallen was a decent action film I know many of you disagree.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 64
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 11:27:15 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

People moan about 12 rated action films like Die Hard 5 so when a film comes out that feels more like a action film from the 80s/90s people still have a moan. Olympus has fallen was a decent action film I know many of you disagree.

Honestly, I wish you'd actually read what people are saying as opposed to dismissing it as moaning. It's really reductive.

Olympus Has Fallen is problematic on many different levels, but to be honest I can't pick out anything that struck me as misogynistic. Maybe it's because I was too busy slipping into a coma from the tedium and boredom of this fucking thing.

Die Hard, The Raid and Olympus are all pretty violent films for sure, but the difference between those two films and Olympus is that they don't actually dwell that much on the infliction of pain. There's a scene in Raid in which a man gets his throat impaled on a broken door, but that's probably only a three second shot at best.

As for Donnie's part about the jokes in Die Hard, if you recall McClane doesn't actually make jokes during and after the dispatch of a bad guy. That's a pretty important distinction to make when talking about the violence in Die Hard. The only time McClane makes jokes is when he thinks he has the upper hand over Gruber when McClane gets the detonators. When McClane is engaging in a violent act, it hurts and it's nasty without dwelling on the pain. For an 80s action film, the violence is remarkably restrained and unproblematic in its depiction. It's more of a 15 rated film these days and Channel 4 regularly airs it at about 9pm.

In all honesty I wasn't offended by Olympus Has Fallen. The only feeling it elicited from me was boredom.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 65
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 11:40:37 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Willis makes the "Thanks for the advice" quip IMMEDIATELY after and in direct response to killing a bad guy. I guess it's been a while since you saw Die Hard.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 66
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 11:44:18 AM   
MonsterCat

Touché.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 8/1/2014 11:45:43 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 67
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 1:53:41 PM   
Artoo

I don't think Olympus has Fallen was necessarily mysogynystic, but that scene where the secretary of state gets her arse kicked all over the bunker is completely cringe inducing - mainly because of her flag waving speech type thing she does as she's taking a beating. It would only tug on the heartstrings of rednecks and Republicans! In fact all of the cigar chomping, flag waving American clap-trap that went on in that film bordered on the offensive IMO!

It's more that it's basically just a shit film at the base of it all! There's very little to like about it - especially when you compare it to an almost identical film in terms of plot (White House Down) which is far better acted, much funnier (meaning it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as OHF) has much more likeable characters and far, far better action scenes!

Anyone that thinks OHF is actually a good film probably also thinks Raw Deal is a good film too!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 68
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 3:29:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have said it was misogynistic,I was being hyberbolic when it was really just mean spirited to one female character rather than many but-

quote:

Maybe best to stick to PG13 if something has frivolous as OHF offends you. I'm not being flippant.i just cant understand what people found so unacceptable.

No. Absolutely, really no. You don't get to lecture me on my taste in movies.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 8/1/2014 3:37:29 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 69
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 3:42:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

I don't think Olympus has Fallen was necessarily mysogynystic, but that scene where the secretary of state gets her arse kicked all over the bunker is completely cringe inducing - mainly because of her flag waving speech type thing she does as she's taking a beating. It would only tug on the heartstrings of rednecks and Republicans! In fact all of the cigar chomping, flag waving American clap-trap that went on in that film bordered on the offensive IMO!

It's more that it's basically just a shit film at the base of it all! There's very little to like about it - especially when you compare it to an almost identical film in terms of plot (White House Down) which is far better acted, much funnier (meaning it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as OHF) has much more likeable characters and far, far better action scenes!

Anyone that thinks OHF is actually a good film probably also thinks Raw Deal is a good film too!

Personally I found WHD's sickening glorification of Obama more hard to take, while OHF's bad guys were far more believable than WHD's 'Democrat nightmare' bad guys. I'm more 'centre' politically, but nothing about WHD convinced me for its duration. Despite its occasional shakycam, overall OHF's action was far better [in staging and filming] than WHD's too.

Raw Deal? I'd say it's goodish. Not great Arnold, but certainly enjoyable. On the same level as, say, The Running Man or Eraser.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 70
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 3:44:41 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well what i said is a looooong way off lecturing shifty, or perhaps you're just being hyperbolic? (again). However that reaction does enforce the fact that you seem quite sensitive, not sure if you're cut out for violent movies, they have naughty words too, best stick to Disney in future.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 71
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 3:52:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Well what i said is a looooong way off lecturing shifty, or perhaps you're just being hyperbolic? (again). However that reaction does enforce the fact that you seem quite sensitive, not sure if you're cut out for violent movies, they have naughty words too, best stick to Disney in future.

I was joking about the lecture bit, hence the smiley. I was watching violent action movies before you were born. Assuming I am at least ten years older than you

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 8/1/2014 3:53:19 PM >

Post #: 72
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 3:59:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

I was joking about the lecture bit, hence the smiley. I was watching violent action movies before you were born. Assuming I am at least ten years older than you

LOL, wow i am like so impressed. If you've been watching them so long, I'm amazed you're so sensitive to them.

Post #: 73
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:06:25 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

LOL, wow i am like so impressed. If you've been watching them so long, I'm amazed you're so sensitive to them.

I am sensitive to them because I wasn't too impressed with Olympus Has Fallen? Now who is being hyperbolic? My posts to you, up till now have been jovial, DK, yours, not so much. But hey, I'm probably just being too sensitive. Can't always properly gauge tone on a forum

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 8/1/2014 4:08:03 PM >

Post #: 74
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:12:28 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am sensitive to them because I wasn't too impressed with Olympus Has Fallen? Now who is being hyperbolic? My posts to you, up till now have been jovial, DK, yours, not so much. But hey, I'm probably just being too sensitive. Can't always properly gauge tone on a forum

Don't think so. His posts have a distinct whiff of dickishness about them. I'm not sure why, he should be used to people ragging on films he likes by now.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 75
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:13:25 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Yeah, I always find condescension is a smart and useful way to go about a conversation.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 76
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:15:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am sensitive to them because I wasn't too impressed with Olympus Has Fallen?

I still can't see what was so offensive about the violence in OHF, and why a self proclaimed veteran of action movies (you) would be so put out by it. Arnie and Stallone have committed far greater acts of violence with way more glee on film than anything in OHF. You've admitted you're well versed in action, I would say OHF is tame compared to some uncut Arnie and Sly movies, what makes it so objectionable?

Post #: 77
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:17:11 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Yeah, I always find condescension is a smart and useful way to go about a conversation.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest, it's what you do best.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 78
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:21:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I still can't see what was so offensive about the violence in OHF, and why a self proclaimed veteran of action movies (you) would be so put out by it. Arnie and Stallone have committed far greater acts of violence with way more glee on film than anything in OHF. You've admitted you're well versed in action, I would say OHF is tame compared to some uncut Arnie and Sly movies, what makes it so objectionable?

I didn't say it was objectionable, just that it had a mean streak with no humour to level it off. I don't even hate the film, I just thought White House Down was more fun, personally.

Post #: 79
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:21:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't think so. His posts have a distinct whiff of dickishness about them. I'm not sure why, he should be used to people ragging on films he likes by now.

Awwww i never knew you cared so much

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 80
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:24:36 PM   
MonsterCat

Dude, you get into a really weird mood when you come across negative sentiments concerning a film you like. Which is a shame because I thought you were smarter than that. I think you'd only be happy if everybody lived in this hermetically sealed bubble where everything is brilliant and awesome. Well, I'm sorry, but that's not how things work. If I see something that's shit, I reserve the right to call it shit and explain why it's shit.

I've actually tried to explain my point and up until the post before this I was being fairly civilised about it. All you did was just get in a huff about it. I can't talk to someone like that, so I'm stopping this now. Sorry.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 81
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:28:42 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Dude, you get into a really weird mood when you come across negative sentiments concerning a film you like. Which is a shame because I thought you were smarter than that. I think you'd only be happy if everybody lived in this hermetically sealed bubble where everything is brilliant and awesome. Well, I'm sorry, but that's not how things work. If I see something that's shit, I reserve the right to call it shit and explain why it's shit.

I've actually tried to explain my point and up until the post before this I was being fairly civilised about it. All you did was just get in a huff about it. I can't talk to someone like that, so I'm stopping this now. Sorry.

You'll be missed.

I am trying to continue the conversation at hand with shifty, in a civilised manner.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 82
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:29:55 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

You'll be missed.

I am trying to continue the conversation at hand with shifty, in a civilised manner.

And I don't even think the film is shit.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 8/1/2014 4:30:50 PM >

Post #: 83
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:35:03 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't say it was objectionable, just that it had a mean streak with no humour to level it off. I don't even hate the film, I just thought White House Down was more fun, personally.

well i haven't seen WHD yet, although I'm very much looking forward to checking it out on the 20th when it's released on blu. It certainly seems as if it has gone for the more 'fun' vibe, although i think OHF is terrific fun and also funny in places. The mean streak as you call it is definitely something i found appealing about the movie and yes, it was refreshing to have a big movie with this degree of violence. I loved that about it, just like i enjoyed the violence in The Raid and Dredd.

Post #: 84
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:38:19 PM   
jonson

Best: Django Unchained. Off the top of my head. Loved it, although I've loved every QT film.
Worst: Another Day to Die Hard. Expected nothing less to be honest.
Disappointing: Star Trek: Into Darkness and The Hobbit 2. Both bored me, overhyped, I just came out the cinema both times quite confused as to why I didn't like them, thinking there was something wrong with me (yeah yeah yeah)
Most Surprising: Iron Man 3. I expected it to be shit, but thought it was great fun. The same goes with Pacific Rim.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 85
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:42:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

well i haven't seen WHD yet, although I'm very much looking forward to checking it out on the 20th when it's released on blu. It certainly seems as if it has gone for the more 'fun' vibe, although i think OHF is terrific fun and also funny in places. The mean streak as you call it is definitely something i found appealing about the movie and yes, it was refreshing to have a big movie with this degree of violence. I loved that about it, just like i enjoyed the violence in The Raid and Dredd.

All this really boils down to, though, is I didn't like the film as much as you. I hated the way Melissa Leo's character was treated it left a bad taste in my mouth but and I have to stress this again, I didn't hate the film. I just liked the other one more. And I love Dredd and The Raid, I just didn't love OHF.

Edit: Oh yeah, that is what this thread is about, thanks for putting it back on track Jonson

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 8/1/2014 4:45:00 PM >

Post #: 86
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:50:19 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Yes Jonson brought things back on track.

without wanting to digress again, do you not think that you're supposed to be disgusted with how the terrorists treat her character? I mean that's the whole point, that they're beating up a women to get what they want and it's horrible! That shocked me, and that was IMO the point. But anyway i shouldn't be taking things off course again, i do wonder if the alleged sequel will be as violent.

Post #: 87
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 4:54:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

without wanting to digress again, do you not think that you're supposed to be disgusted with how the terrorists treat her character? I mean that's the whole point, that they're beating up a women to get what they want and it's horrible! That shocked me, and that was IMO the point. But anyway i shouldn't be taking things off course again, i do wonder if the alleged sequel will be as violent.

Yeah, I do think that is the point and it worked, it disturbed me. Can't really make it any clearer than that.

Anyway, let's stop derailing this thread with pointless posts.

Post #: 88
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 5:13:38 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'm going to change my worst from A Good Day to Die Hard to Welcome to the Punch. The latter was even worse, whilst AGDTDH had some awesome action at least.

Post #: 89
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 8/1/2014 5:21:26 PM   
jonson

quote:

Fucking hell, that's the first time in 11 years of posting.

11 years................ (I remember being called an old bastard when I was 29 )

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI