Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 4/1/2014 4:55:57 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Worst: Olympus Has Fallen - Po faced, jingoistic, xenophobic and suicide inducingly boring. I refuse to stick up for Gerard Butler any more. There was one funny moment in there, but I think it was more unintentional than anything else. Even Cannon Films would have given this trash the cold shoulder.

Watched this last night. Thought it was fucking awesome.

Best: Django

Worst: Can't actually remember if I've anything really bad besides Movie 43 which I did laugh at (fuck you, I'm easily pleased) so yeah. Movie 43.

Most disappointing: Elysium, I loved the film but I think I expected far too much from it.

Most surprising: Kick-Ass 2. It was actually good.

Other films will pop into my head later but that'll do for now.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 31
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 4/1/2014 6:23:53 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

quote:

Worst: Olympus Has Fallen - Po faced, jingoistic, xenophobic and suicide inducingly boring. I refuse to stick up for Gerard Butler any more. There was one funny moment in there, but I think it was more unintentional than anything else. Even Cannon Films would have given this trash the cold shoulder.

Watched this last night. Thought it was fucking awesome.

Best: Django

Worst: Can't actually remember if I've anything really bad besides Movie 43 which I did laugh at (fuck you, I'm easily pleased) so yeah. Movie 43.

Most disappointing: Elysium, I loved the film but I think I expected far too much from it.

Most surprising: Kick-Ass 2. It was actually good.

Other films will pop into my head later but that'll do for now.

Thank you! I thought I was alone.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 32
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 4/1/2014 6:35:17 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Best: Gravity
Worst: Steins Gate (at Leeds Film Festival)
Most Disappointing: Prisoners
Most Surprising: All is Lost

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 33
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 4/1/2014 7:51:31 PM   
Mister Coe

Just noticed that OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN showed up on Netflix, so that's my Sunday afternoon viewing sorted out!

Looking forward to it, looks like big dumb fun!

Say what now?

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 34
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 5/1/2014 6:34:10 PM   
AngryDude92

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Just noticed that OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN showed up on Netflix, so that's my Sunday afternoon viewing sorted out!

Two out of three words there are accurate

Anyway here's mine.
Best: In the House or The Last of Us if your not above cheating. Also Before Midnight was a real treat.
Worst: The Lords of Salem
Most Disappointing: Man of Steele- Fuck that end shit!
Biggest Surprise: In the House

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 35
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 5/1/2014 6:44:51 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryDude92

quote:

Two out of three words there are accurate

Anyway here's mine.
Best: In the House or The Last of Us if your not above cheating. Also Before Midnight was a real treat.
Worst: The Lords of Salem
Most Disappointing: Man of Steele- Fuck that end shit!
Biggest Surprise: In the House

Just watched OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN and it was mostly crap. So many good actors there who must have read the pay-offer before the script...

And, yes, it was full of violence (as an action movie should be), but did anyone else find a lot of it rather unpleasant? A screaming terrified woman being shot in the head after goading her for a while, another middle aged woman being repeatedly kicked in the guts until she was vomiting blood,

There's a difference between silly action movie shit and prolonged torture and cruelty... you want the latter, there's seven SAW movies out there...

Plus, some pretty shoddy CGI...

Not impressed with this one...

Say what now?

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 36
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 5/1/2014 9:17:06 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

And, yes, it was full of violence (as an action movie should be), but did anyone else find a lot of it rather unpleasant? A screaming terrified woman being shot in the head after goading her for a while, another middle aged woman being repeatedly kicked in the guts until she was vomiting blood,

There's a difference between silly action movie shit and prolonged torture and cruelty... you want the latter, there's seven SAW movies out there...

Yup, it was pretty mis-judged. White House Down does it better and, while still a bit mince, is more fun.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 37
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 5/1/2014 10:02:42 PM   
MonsterCat

Coe, I think you jinxed yourself when you said it was going to be big dumb fun.

But yeah, it's a misjudged film on every conceivable level. Nasty, boring, po-faced and a performance from Butler that makes coffee tables look animated.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 5/1/2014 10:03:10 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 38
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 5/1/2014 11:17:50 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Absolutely. I seem to recall Butler enjoying carrying out torture just a little bit too much for my liking.

White House Down was everything Olympus Is Fallen wasn't. I had a great time.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 39
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 6/1/2014 9:05:14 AM   
Chronicle

Best: Gravity / Django Unchained

Worst: Haven't seen any real bad movie from 2013 I think so I'm going with Fast & Furious (ok film)

Most disappointing: The Great Gatsby & Pacific Rim (liked them both a lot but I was overexcited due to the trailers..)

Biggest surprise: Springbreakers / Cloud Atlas

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 40
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 6/1/2014 4:17:54 PM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Yup, it was pretty mis-judged. White House Down does it better and, while still a bit mince, is more fun.

Gotta agree with this. Olympus has Fallen was complete shite and took itself way too seriously (just watch the scene in the bunker when the female secretary of state takes a beating and starts to recite the whole "I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG..." etc for proof of this fact) whereas White House Down was basically just having a laugh! Any film where the president of the USA fires a bazooka at a helicopter from the back of an armoured car on the white house lawn while arguing with the driver is a winner in my books!

Anyhoo - my choices:

Best: Man of Steel - yeah I know it was a bit CRASH, BANG WALLOP but that's what you (meaning me) want in a Superman film right? It also had heart, good effects, a great score and good performances all round.
Worst: R.I.P.D - even Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds, great effects and a massive budget couldn't save this absolute stinker!
Most Disappointing: R.I.P.D - See above....
Most surprising: 2 Guns - Mainly because I cant stand Marky Mark as he was actually watchable and (almost) likeable in it!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

Post #: 41
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 6/1/2014 4:23:28 PM   
horribleives

quote:

But yeah, it's a misjudged film on every conceivable level. Nasty, boring, po-faced and a performance from Butler that makes coffee tables look animated.

Watched this a couple of days ago and I agree with all of that - apart from the 'boring' bit. I haven't enjoyed a bad film (especially an action one) so much in ages. Though it has to be said, Aaron Eckhart says 'yes' to any old shite these days doesn't he?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 42
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 7:44:36 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Watched this a couple of days ago and I agree with all of that - apart from the 'boring' bit. I haven't enjoyed a bad film (especially an action one) so much in ages. Though it has to be said, Aaron Eckhart says 'yes' to any old shite these days doesn't he?

Can you blame him for accepting this role? Who wouldn't want to play The President in a fun action movie? Besides, it's not like his career took off majorly after TDK. Despite being a very solid actor. I, Frankenstein is a bit more baffling but then its the lead role in an action movie, like Battle: LA.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 43
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:31:00 AM   
MonsterCat

I don't know about fun. My root canal work was more fun.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 44
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:31:19 AM   
MonsterCat

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 45
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:31:39 AM   
MonsterCat

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 46
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:31:58 AM   
MonsterCat

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 47
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:35:40 AM   
MonsterCat

I must have missed the fun part. I think that time I sliced my finger open with a kitchen knife was more fun.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 48
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:37:42 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Are you having an episode?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 49
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:38:33 AM   
rawlinson

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 50
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:41:14 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

No, I fucked your mum last night and I'm still severely traumatised.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 51
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:42:19 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 52
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:43:23 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

No, I fucked your mum last night and I'm still severely traumatised.

I hear she didn't even realise until you ran screaming out of the room.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 53
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 12:07:20 PM   
MonsterCat

Are you suggesting I have a small cock? WELL ARE YOU?

Because you'd be right. Hung like fucking Pluto over here. : (

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 54
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 8:25:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

I honestly don't see where the fun part is in Olympus Has Fallen, it's pretty misogynistic and mean spirited. White House Down was more fun in my opinion but hey, each to their own and all that

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 55
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 9:27:08 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Absolutely. I seem to recall Butler enjoying carrying out torture just a little bit too much for my liking.

White House Down was everything Olympus Is Fallen wasn't. I had a great time.

True. Olympus Is Fallen is much better

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 56
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 9:55:40 PM   
Shifty Bench

That may be true but Olympus Has Fallen is shite

(I don't actually think it's shite just couldn't resist)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 7/1/2014 11:03:32 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 57
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 10:49:19 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I honestly don't see where the fun part is in Olympus Has Fallen, it's pretty misogynistic and mean spirited. White House Down was more fun in my opinion but hey, each to their own and all that

Gunfire, blood, explosions, dudes getting stabbed in the head, what's not to like? Like you say, each to their own but I enjoy that shit. I don't need every film to be a masterpiece of writing and direction for me to enjoy it.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 58
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 11:00:37 PM   
Shifty Bench

I love a good action film, and even bad ones, I grew up in the 80s but there was just something about the film that left a bad taste for me. I don't hate it, I just had more fun with White House Down is all. And I didn't say anything about a film needing to be a masterpiece of writing and direction for me to enjoy it either

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 7/1/2014 11:02:42 PM >

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 59
RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising ... - 7/1/2014 11:14:43 PM   
sandy666

Best: Live theatre/opera/ballet at the cinema. This year I've enjoyed Henry V from the Globe, This House and Othello from the National Theatre and Operas and Richard II from the RSC. This may not be "film" in the traditional sense, but by and large it almost feels like being there. The best seats in the house cost £15 max, which if you went to the ROH it would cost £300. Best one this year was Turandot - all the mad, majesty of live opera - a spectacle for the eyes and ears.

Worst: Sunshine over Leith.

Disappointing: Machete Kills. The first film was a sassy, cheeky movie that pulled no-punches. The sequel - toned down and cynical.

Most Surprising: I'm so excited - crazy, mad cap, sexy (in so many ways) & satire - Pedro Almodóvar doing what he does best in an enjoyable manner.

Also The Day of the Doctor deserves a mention here. TV comes to the cinema in 3-D. With the cinema packed out with generations of Who fans - grandparents taking grandchildren and three or four of the tiny multiplex screens packed to the rafters. It is the closest I've come to cinema going in the 70's where folk queued round the block to see Star Wars amongst others. In addition the show wasn't that bad.

Cinemas have changed ever so slightly. These new live shows and Who's success at the big screen, may stick. Would fans pay to see a Game of Thrones series finale in 3-D on the big screen? Why spend millions on a movie version, when you can shoot two hours on a TV budget and get some money from the cinema. You could have both.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Best, Worst , Most Disappointing & Most Surprising 2013!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI