Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Film Studies 101: The 30 Camera Shots Every Film Fan Needs To Know

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Film Studies 101: The 30 Camera Shots Every Film Fan Needs To Know Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Film Studies 101: The 30 Camera Shots Every Film Fan Ne... - 19/12/2013 2:56:32 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
But you forgot... - 19/12/2013 2:56:32 PM   
CHEWIEHAN1

..The Mariachi Tracker... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5yTmVxRN2g

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 19/12/2013 11:23:40 PM   
jackmanstoletheshow

Enjoyable read, but there's a shot missing, I think.

Don't know its name, frustratingly, but examples are Bruno taking a phone call at home while his parents talk in Strangers on a Train, and Nolte saying 'Do that again' to Lange in the Cape Fear remake.

Suppose it could be deep focus, but it's just background and foreground.

Post #: 3
@ jackmanstoletheshow - 20/12/2013 2:18:02 AM   
2early4flapjacks

From the sounds of it, the kind of shot you're meaning is a 'Split Dioptic'. It's a shot which is split down the middle, dividing two contrasting levels of focus on either sides of the screen - one side for foreground, one side for background. The dividing line down the middle is usually aligned with a vertical line in the frame (i.e. a dooreframe etc.) in an attempt to conceal the contrast in focus.

This trick allows the camera to show something extremely close on one side of the shot (often a face) and something far in the distance on the other, both in perfect focus. It's kind of synonymous with gritty suspense genre films from the 70s, 80s, (it was favoured by directors like Brian De Palma - probably because of the surreal, dislocated quality it lends the frame) as opposed to deep focus in which the whole frame is shown in perfect focus completely seamlessly. The latter tends to be seen as more classy and oft assosiated with films like Citizen Kane, but I really love Dioptic shots. The one in Blow Out juxtaposing Travolta on one side of the screen and an owl in extreme close-up on the other is really stunning.

That probably sounded pretty nerdy, but then, this is a film-nerd magazine. :)

Post #: 4
- 20/12/2013 4:50:42 AM   
djdarrenjames

The scene in Goodfellas where Henry leads his girlfriend through the back way of the club was indeed filmed on a Steadicam but the shot is a Sequence Shot (which used to be called a Continuous Shot or a "One-er").

Post #: 5
RE: @ jackmanstoletheshow - 22/12/2013 7:32:44 PM   
jackmanstoletheshow

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2early4flapjacks

From the sounds of it, the kind of shot you're meaning is a 'Split Dioptic'. It's a shot which is split down the middle, dividing two contrasting levels of focus on either sides of the screen - one side for foreground, one side for background. The dividing line down the middle is usually aligned with a vertical line in the frame (i.e. a dooreframe etc.) in an attempt to conceal the contrast in focus.

This trick allows the camera to show something extremely close on one side of the shot (often a face) and something far in the distance on the other, both in perfect focus. It's kind of synonymous with gritty suspense genre films from the 70s, 80s, (it was favoured by directors like Brian De Palma - probably because of the surreal, dislocated quality it lends the frame) as opposed to deep focus in which the whole frame is shown in perfect focus completely seamlessly. The latter tends to be seen as more classy and oft assosiated with films like Citizen Kane, but I really love Dioptic shots. The one in Blow Out juxtaposing Travolta on one side of the screen and an owl in extreme close-up on the other is really stunning.

That probably sounded pretty nerdy, but then, this is a film-nerd magazine. :)

Thanks, appreciate it. And that is what I was referring to!

(in reply to 2early4flapjacks)
Post #: 6
The Spike Lee - 24/12/2013 11:21:20 PM   
AishaRh

What about the Spike Lee shot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu9-UymSApM

Post #: 7
- 29/12/2013 12:34:48 PM   
apensiveman

The dolly zoom in The Fellowship of the ring is one of my recent favourites.

Post #: 8
The Leone EXTREME close-up - 29/12/2013 2:02:16 PM   
Moonbucket

Has to have it's own category, the squinting eyes, the twitching facial muscles, the tension, the agendas and machinations of each protagonist writ large but only revealed to the audience...

Post #: 9
Aerial Shot - 9/1/2014 6:00:48 PM   
SkyCamUsa

We love how the Aerial Shot starts it off!

Post #: 10
The Michael Bay shot II - 11/1/2014 10:23:30 PM   
falseprophet7

A low shot in slight slow motion of someone standing up with the sun behind them.

Post #: 11
Check your facts!!! - 5/2/2014 11:38:49 PM   
tom2201

A steadicam is not hydraulically balanced you guys should really check your facts. I expect much better from Empire. A steadicam is balanced by an isoelastic arm using springs not hydraulics like you state.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Film Studies 101: The 30 Camera Shots Every Film Fan Needs To Know Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI