Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Producing Sandman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Joseph Gordon-Levitt Producing Sandman Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Joseph Gordon-Levitt Producing Sandman - 17/12/2013 11:09:42 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Finally... - 17/12/2013 12:49:28 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alex DeLarge

Some real concrete news on the progress of this project. I know everyone wants a series but aurely that's still an option after the films?

Cumberbatch for Morpheus...

There was a shortlived comic series after The Sandman ended called The Dreaming which focused on different minor characters within Dream's realm (like Merv Pumpkinhead, Cain and Abel, etc.), with occasional appearances from Dream himself. If the films are a success (which, as much as I want to see them, the story is quite abstract so might not be able to find an audience) they could look into doing something like that.
Post #: 2
More Gaiman please! - 17/12/2013 1:14:04 PM   
waltham1979

I am genuinely very excited for this. In the mix of constant remakes of remakes of reboots that is churned out by the studios, I am utterly at a loss to explain why more of Gaiman's work hasn't been given the big budget treatment. The likes of American Gods, Never Where and Anansi Boys are perfect fruit to be picked in comparison to more fucking Underworld or Resident Evil shit!!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 3
RE: More Gaiman please! - 17/12/2013 1:28:37 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

I am genuinely very excited for this. In the mix of constant remakes of remakes of reboots that is churned out by the studios, I am utterly at a loss to explain why more of Gaiman's work hasn't been given the big budget treatment. The likes of American Gods, Never Where and Anansi Boys are perfect fruit to be picked in comparison to more fucking Underworld or Resident Evil shit!!!

I'm not sure if it's still happening, but Gaiman announced last year that he was writing a screenplay for Anansi Boys himself. Though, he was also set to direct an adaptation of Death: The High Cost Of Living a while ago and that never happened. I guess he may just have a bad habit of talking about things before they're set in stone.

Also, there were plans a few years back for an Anansi Boys movie, but Gaiman pulled the plug on it when the studio insisted that all of the lead characters should be played by white actors - which makes literally zero sense. I'm guessing the reason why we don't see more adaptations of his stuff is the aforementioned policy of "I'd rather no movies get made than bad movies get made".

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 4
RE: More Gaiman please! - 17/12/2013 5:16:18 PM   
GrizBe

Sandman is one of my favourite graphic novel series, so a film adaptation would be extremely welcome. Gaiman really does need more of his works adapted into movies. I'd especially love to see an adaptation of American Gods.

As for casting... now its joined together, it seems so obvious for Levitt to be cast as Morpheus. He's got the right look for the character, and the acting chops to pull it off well too. Only others I could see doing it justice would be Cumberbatch, who seems to get attached to everything lately, and of course.. Depp. But he seems to be in everything lately too.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 5
RE: Sandman - 18/12/2013 9:27:47 AM   
Simon124

"I'd rather no films got made than bad films got made" Not sure about that, Stardust was pretty dire, and certainly bookmarked this run of awful performances by de Niro... But JGL is a pretty talented guy, loved him in Nolan's films, maybe he could direct?
Post #: 6
RE: Sandman - 18/12/2013 9:32:42 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simon124

"I'd rather no films got made than bad films got made" Not sure about that, Stardust was pretty dire, and certainly bookmarked this run of awful performances by de Niro... But JGL is a pretty talented guy, loved him in Nolan's films, maybe he could direct?

Stardust was a fun and entertaining family adventure. It wasn't like the book, of course, but another thing he's known for saying - and which I agree with him with - is that if a book and movie are exactly the same "what's the point?"

(in reply to Simon124)
Post #: 7
RE: Sandman - 18/12/2013 12:47:12 PM   
GrizBe

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Stardust was a fun and entertaining family adventure. It wasn't like the book, of course, but another thing he's known for saying - and which I agree with him with - is that if a book and movie are exactly the same "what's the point?"

The main problem with Stardust were some of the directorial choices, and then some of the inclusions within the film. Ricky Gervais for instance. Literally every I know who's seen the movie has said that he was the worst part of the movie. He's just not funny. Second was the whole 'We're putting a Take That song in so women will come and see it' controversy that managed to annoy a lot of people to the point of, one of my friends who'd really wanted to see the movie, refusing to watch it because of that.

Stardust may not have been everyones cup of tea, but it certainly wasn't as dire as some people try to make out.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Joseph Gordon-Levitt Producing Sandman Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI