Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 10:49:49 AM   
Bulla

I know this is a long shot, but was anyone else at the 19:00 HFR screening last night ? If you were you will have noticed that it definitely wasn't HFR .

I queried this after the film with usher who said he thought all their 3D shows were HFR ??? Then I got the Supervisor and after disappearing into the projection booth he came back out to assure me it was definitely HFR. Well the 5 friends I was with were all convinced it looked nothing like the previous film in HFR and suffered all the standard 3D issues.

Has the HFR quality just got worse ?, bad projection ? , or are we going mad ??

< Message edited by Bulla -- 15/12/2013 10:51:01 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 11:17:29 AM   
elab49

a) there seems to be a suggestion that only a relatively small percentage of the showings in the UK are actually HFR. Peter Bradshaw mentions in his review that he thought it had been improved, had been given the impression in advance (and a handout) indicating it was HFR but it turned out not to be.

b) there are a couple of posts in the Hobbit review thread from people who are sure they were at an HFR screening AND that it had been improved significantly on the previous outing so would not look the same

So you may or may not have been at one. Best really is to ask the support people for the chain you visited who'll probably know more than those you talked to and no-one here can say without knowing the cinema. They would know what projection rate they were showing. And Cineworld are advertising themselves as showing the HFR version.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/12/2013 11:18:23 AM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Bulla)
Post #: 2
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 1:03:56 PM   
Bulla

Yeah we'd specifically gone to the 19:00 showing as Cineworld website lists 11:40 , 15:20 and 19:00 as daily HFR shows.

We'd seen the first film there in HFR so knew exactly what to expect and could tell immediately that we weren't watching HFR. At first I thought maybe its just the website that is wrong but the supervisor was adamant that the projectionist confirmed it was HFR. I guess the issue is the "Projectionist" might have just been a bloke in a cupboard pressing play on a console but thats another topic ! I've submitted a query using the contact form on the website so we'll see what they come back with.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 1:40:32 PM   
elab49

I think you've missed one bit of my post - they seem to have significantly changed the HFR - so it won't actually look like the first film at all. If you look in the review thread you'll see coments on it having being improved significantly. So a simple improvement in the viewing doesn't necessarily mean you weren't watching HFR.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Bulla)
Post #: 4
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 1:52:11 PM   
Scruffybobby

I saw the HFR at my local Vue and can't say that it was significantly different to last time. There was less of a "fast forward" effect but the BTS video look remains. I can' t say I was too bothered but I think I'll stick to standard 24 fps for next time

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 2:11:08 PM   
Bulla

Hmm interesting I've read the review thread and I'm still not convinced. If they are changing the HFR to tone it down whats the point ? I know its not to everyones taste but the showing we all saw last night looked exactly like standard 3D. I think I'm going to have to find another cinema thats showing HFR and go to satisfy my own curiosity !

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 6
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 2:45:29 PM   
elab49

I don't think they're changing it simply trying to improve the picture. Anything like this isn't static - they continue to try and improve the viewing experience with 3D eg. It's a matter of developing and enhancing technology not 'toning down'. So they've done more work to improve the way HFR looks as a result of complaints last time out - it doesn't mean it isn't HFR and it seems a little unfair to criticise them for trying to improve it.

I mean - did you go in expecting the picture to be as bad as last time? If so, why waste money on HFR in the 1st place?

quote:

(in reply to Bulla)
Post #: 7
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 2:46:07 PM   
Hood_Man

Last year's HFR was fine in wide shots but anytime the action switched to a close-up it was, occasionally, almost impossible to see what was actually happening. Objects and characters would disappear in and out of the frame in the blink of an eye as there just wasn't enough motion blur to show the trajectory.

This year they've made changes to alleviate that, and there were none of the problems mentioned above, but at the same time it kept the "smoothness" (or whatever you want to call it) that a higher frame rate gives. I just wish there were some articles online that went into detail about what they've done exactly, everything I've found is so vague.

I think they're still experimenting at this point, next year it might look different again.

(in reply to Bulla)
Post #: 8
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 15/12/2013 3:20:25 PM   
Bulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I don't think they're changing it simply trying to improve the picture. Anything like this isn't static - they continue to try and improve the viewing experience with 3D eg. It's a matter of developing and enhancing technology not 'toning down'. So they've done more work to improve the way HFR looks as a result of complaints last time out - it doesn't mean it isn't HFR and it seems a little unfair to criticise them for trying to improve it.

I mean - did you go in expecting the picture to be as bad as last time? If so, why waste money on HFR in the 1st place?

Ha ha I think we are getting our wires crossed !

OK, first of all we all (5 friends) loved the HFR last time (Benny Hill Speeds ups aside). Thats why we booked HFR this time. As it stands we are all convinced we didn't see a HFR screening just a standard 3D screening, thats our beef !

If it turns out that we did indeed see a HFR screening then I will criticise the "development/improvement" because to our eyes it looked like any other 3D picture which begs the question why bother ?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 16/12/2013 5:28:55 PM   
sjdoug

sorry guys what the HELL is HFR?

(in reply to Bulla)
Post #: 10
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 16/12/2013 5:43:30 PM   
elab49

High frame rate. Normal sensible frames per sec is 24 but Hobbit comes offered in 48

quote:

(in reply to sjdoug)
Post #: 11
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 2:35:29 PM   
Bulla

Just in case anyone is still interested I had this back from Cineworld today , panic over :-) Return trip is now in order.

Thank you for your contacting Cineworld.

I am sorry to hear how the quality of your performance was affected by a technical fault, it is our goal to provide an outstanding time at our sites, and therefore, I hope you can accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Technical faults are never predictable and sometimes we never know the full extent of the problem until an engineer has assessed it. We aim to repair all faults and have the systems in full working order. However on occasion, the faults experienced are beyond our control and cannot be repaired immediately, and in this case, the ability to include the “HFR” was compromised, and left the cinema without any choice but to project the film without it.

I appreciate that you have had a disappointing experience and as a goodwill gesture I would like to invite you back to Cineworld as my guest. I have included 4 complimentary ticket booking codes below, these will allow you and a friend to come back and enjoy a movie on us. Or you could use the codes separately, and see two different films.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 3:18:46 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Good to hear Cineworld have made amends, Bulla.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Bulla)
Post #: 13
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 3:20:47 PM   
Bulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Good to hear Cineworld have made amends, Bulla.

Yep cant fault them

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 14
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 3:23:05 PM   
horribleives

quote:

High frame rate. Normal sensible frames per sec is 24 but Hobbit comes offered in 48

Is this the thing that made the first Hobbit film look like an '80s episode of Dr Who?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 3:57:15 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Is this the thing that made the first Hobbit film look like an '80s episode of Dr Who?

I'd have gone for the BBC Narnia serials, but yes. It's less jarring in DOS, but you would be in no doubt whether you were watching HFR or not, which thankfully in this case Cineworld have acknowledged.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 16
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 4:09:31 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd have gone for the BBC Narnia serials, but yes. It's less jarring in DOS, but you would be in no doubt whether you were watching HFR or not, which thankfully in this case Cineworld have acknowledged.

I was gonna say The Box Of Delights but didn't think anyone would remember it

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 17
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 4:52:27 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What the hell is DOS?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 18
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 6:04:31 PM   
Hood_Man

It's either Desolation of Smaug, or people are getting all misty eyed about old computers.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 19
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 7:46:28 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

It's either Desolation of Smaug, or people are getting all misty eyed about old computers.

I was always an Amiga man, so the former.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 20
RE: Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR - 19/12/2013 8:07:43 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I remember that. It was great. Abner Brown was a quality bad guy.

As for 48fps I don't like it. But I think it's because I'm just too used to the look of 24fps. I do think it would be great for a live concert film or one of those theatre productions that get shown at lot in cinemas these days. Something like The Lion King stage show or a Muse gig would really benefit from the format I reckon

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Hobbit TDOS MK Cineworld HFR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI