Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Inside Llewyn Davis - 13/12/2013 10:50:38 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his cat. - 13/12/2013 10:50:38 PM   
Mycroft3

I loved this movie. The mood, the music, the performances were all pitched perfectly.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Brilliant - 14/12/2013 1:31:45 AM   
Elodie

It's my favorite film of the year.

Post #: 3
Brilliant - 14/12/2013 2:40:40 AM   
Elodie

Post #: 4
Brilliant - 14/12/2013 2:41:09 AM   
Elodie

Post #: 5
RE: Brilliant - 14/12/2013 9:25:01 PM   
UTB

Is it True Grit/Fargo Five Star or A Serious Man Five Star?

(in reply to Elodie)
Post #: 6
RE: Brilliant - 15/12/2013 7:04:03 PM   
dseys

It is a gratuitour five star attributed because of the Coens' notoriety. The very same movie made by another director would just have been "a nice 3-star little movie with a good central performance but lacking a plot". Not bad but without interest and immediately forgettable. But when I saw it the theatre was packed with grey-haired audience which seemed to enjoy it A LOT, laughing at the most stupid, silly jokes. I was intrigued, nearly shocked that so much old people could react like this in front of what was to me the very definition of a "pointless movie". But I guess it's just a matter of taste, or generation.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 7
- 17/1/2014 11:01:09 PM   
Coyleone

Inside Llewyn Davis is the Coens best film. There, I said it. completely marvelous and beautiful. I guess it's their most accessible film but that isn't a complaint. It's also their most heart felt and affecting. I was moved to near tears by several scenes. It's also full of the classic Coen traits, bizzare and at first seemingly random characters that are so much more than they appear on the surface, ambiguous characters and moments, hilarious laugh out loud scenes and dialogue. Everything with the cat was amazing. The scene with the father and the 'I don't see any money in this' scene are soul destroying. The soundtrack is wonderful and one of my favourites in recent memory, but it's also the way it serves the film and it's characters. The performances are amazing, Isaac is fantastic and it of course has the good old John Goodman role and a great supporting cast including Carey Mulligan. A really amazing film. Seriously, watch this, it's magical.

Post #: 8
- 20/1/2014 11:27:15 AM   
DanTDavies

Please note that we Welshmen spell our surname DaviEs... Davis is the English spelling [yes I know but people have been "correcting" me on my name my entire life...].

Love the cat though :)

Post #: 9
RE: Inside Llewyn Davis - 24/1/2014 4:31:42 PM   
demoncleaner

I wrote a whole thing from the front page and it refused to update. Do you hear that ethereal sound of mass lamentation? That's future generations that is.

I thought this was great. My stock response to all "flesh people" I know who will care to ask "is it any good?" Will get the reply "very much, but you'll fucking hate it".

Condensing my thoughts down. Like O Brother, it's a (Joycian) Oddyssey as opposed to a Homeric one (that's not wank speak, it's telegraphed in the cat's name). Like the Coen canon it's got the existential tag of Eternal Recurrence, the road not taken and above all kismet. (A big part of it is wondering if the "asshole" inverted Midas Llewyn is informing what is happening through his outlook). But definitely, definitely unlike the canon this isn't played for either a comic or tragi-comic existential fable. It's far more a humanist observation than a meta comedy.

This is the Coens most mature work. No Country has that to some extent. But this does seem to be the first totally self-created work that doesn't get silly. It's tight-lipped but strangely affecting.

4/5

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 24/1/2014 4:39:03 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Inside Llewyn Davis - 24/1/2014 4:55:10 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I thought this was great. My stock response to all "flesh people" I know who will care to ask "is it any good?" Will get the reply "very much, but you'll fucking hate it".

This, I love. Why don't you write most things in the world?

Very glad to hear it's not another post-modern comedy, because the Coens need to stop using that as a perpetual get-out and make a properly great film rather than a stream of very good ones that delight in smirking at the things they're pinching from. Not that I've made a great film, but, y'know.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 11
RE: Inside Llewyn Davis - 24/1/2014 5:03:49 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

This, I love. Why don't you write most things in the world?

Very glad to hear it's not another post-modern comedy, because the Coens need to stop using that as a perpetual get-out and make a properly great film rather than a stream of very good ones that delight in smirking at the things they're pinching from. Not that I've made a great film, but, y'know.

Hey there brother

Yeah, it's very non-quirk, non punch-liney. Jon Goodman has his bit. Stark Sanders (I'm a big fan of Generation Kill) is wonderfully "Coen" in his diction. But these are glimpses of the Coens trope that the isn't leant on needed or exploited. (Both Goodman and Stark are excellent...we're not criticising here just highlighting the very few distinctly Coens things in it).

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 24/1/2014 5:32:52 PM >

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 12
RE: Inside Llewyn Davis - 24/1/2014 6:22:30 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

The film's soundtrack and Oscar Isaac (responsible for a large percentage of that soundtrack) do the heavy lifting, thematically speaking, and the soft-focused camera lends the film a dream-like quality, tranquil and disconnected even in its more emotionally traumatic moments.
Inside Llewyn Davis is as centered and driving as its eponymous character, and is a better film for it.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 13
Good, But Not 5 Stars - 24/1/2014 10:27:51 PM   
mapletreewizard

There's a tendency with Empire reviewers to get carried away and throw 5 stars at pretty much anything that screams Academy Award these days.

While Inside Llewyn Davis is a good film, it could really have done with some extra script development to ensure that the ending was much more satisfying. The soundtrack is really good and the performances are worthy, but I think it falls short in some respects.

The cat is obviously some kind of key to a fascinatingly deep allegory, yet we never really find out what that is. One of the Coen's better efforts, though.

Post #: 14
RE: Good, But Not 5 Stars - 24/1/2014 11:43:16 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: mapletreewizard

There's a tendency with Empire reviewers to get carried away and throw 5 stars at pretty much anything that screams Academy Award these days.

While Inside Llewyn Davis is a good film, it could really have done with some extra script development to ensure that the ending was much more satisfying. The soundtrack is really good and the performances are worthy, but I think it falls short in some respects.

The cat is obviously some kind of key to a fascinatingly deep allegory, yet we never really find out what that is. One of the Coen's better efforts, though.

Fuck, you've convinced me. How could that be done? Talk us through it. You're idle and convinced how it should be done. C'mon. Bullet-point it and fucking talk us through how it should be done.

Don't worry if it's an idle know-nothing instinct...just admit it. But if it is sincere....then TALK ME THROUGH HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE? HOW YOU WOULD DO IT?

Edify us...tncu.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 24/1/2014 11:45:09 PM >

(in reply to mapletreewizard)
Post #: 15
RE: Inside Llewyn Davis - 25/1/2014 1:51:55 AM   
R W

There was a period from 2007 to 2010 where we would expect a new Coen brothers’ film coming once a year, such as No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading and A Serious Man. Following their adaptation of Charles Portis’ western novel True Grit in which Jeff Bridges was almost entirely inaudible, Joel and Ethan Coen return to the cinema after three years with a comedy-drama set in what many would say is music history's unsexiest scene.

In 1961, New York City's Greenwich Village, Llewyn Davis (Oscar Isaac) is a folk singer struggling in both his life and career following the suicide of his musical partner. During one week, a chain of events such as the aftermath of a one-night stand with Jean (Carey Mulligan) and the accidental adoption of his neighbour’s cat create more mishaps in Llewyn’s already dysfunctional life.

If Inside Llewyn Davis bears any similarity with any of the Coens’ back catalogue – like No Country is a thriller with elements both comedy and horror in the same way as their debut Blood Simple – it would have to be A Serious Man as both films are set in the not-so-swinging sixties, whilst having a level of ambiguity in the narrative. With the Coens’ latest, it is an black comedic examination of New York's folk music scene in 1961 told through the eponymous folk singer who throughout is a man stuck in a particular time period as he isn’t interested in the future and more focused on how to live by in the moment such as gaining money through musical gigs that are not quite his taste.

While this may sound like a criticism – and no doubt there are some who will use it as such – but this is a rather “cold” film. There is coldness in terms of the setting which is winter in early sixties’ America, beautifully shot by Amelie cinematographer Bruno Delbonnel. It should also be said that this a very melancholic piece as Llewyn who can be a cold-hearted dick goes through a journey which has its moments of subtle humour, which is a typical sign that you‘re in Coens territory.

If there is anything uplifting about the film, it would have to be the music produced by T Bone Burnett who of course appropriately uses folk music for the time period. With the actors performing nearly all of the songs live, there are really great performances from everyone such as Oscar Isaac who you are engaged throughout despite his arrogance, while his Drive co-star Carey Mulligan is playing against type and is swear-tastic. If terms of the songs, there is a wonderful cover of "Fare Thee Well (Dink's Song)" by Oscar Isaac and Marcus Mumford, the standout is the novelty song “Please Mr Kennedy” sung by Isaac, Justin Timberlake and Girls’ Adam Driver that is very funny and if you can’t get any enjoyment out if this single track, then you won’t find much with the film itself.

Strong performances especially from Oscar Isaac, great soundtrack and a very melancholic tone, Inside Llewyn Davis is a wonderful black-comedic examination of New York's folk music scene in 1961. Please don’t take another three years off, Mr and Mr Coen.

Post #: 16
not the best…. - 26/1/2014 3:41:38 PM   
bobbysang

Coens usually get 5 stars from empire. This is definitely not a 5 star film, get it sorted empire. Though it has moments of joy like all Coens films, its a frustrating watch, the cat is great:) Coens have high standards but this is not one of their best, one good film one so so ok, is there record. Deeper meaning, and higher thinking this is not. Watching films about people losing in life should be more fun! Are these the same filmmakers who made the 'Big Lebowski'?

Post #: 17
Hmm, tad overrated. - 27/1/2014 7:11:55 PM   
tysmuse

I liked it. Oscar Isaac is very good. The songs - so easily could have been cringeworthy - were fantastic and probably the best part. Yeah it's bleak, but I didn't like the story, or lack thereof. I do feel like as this is the Coen brothers, people are tad hasty to adorn it with praise. Similarly to how The Master panned out.

Post #: 18
Bore fest - 28/2/2014 9:02:36 AM   
ploppyx

This was a film that went nowhere, and when it ended it was like...oh no was that it? It was a complete waste of time which is a shame because the music near the start made the film have promise but then it nose dived into the boring existence of a self-absorbed man who didn't care about anyone and pushed his attitude onto others making me, the viewer, feel uncomfortable. I didn't care about the film and wished I hadn't wasted my money or my time on it. You must connect with the characters and with this film you are left wanting. Not one of the Coen's best. Definitely overrated and very disappointing. Only watch if you seriously have nothing better to do.

Post #: 19
RE: Bore fest - 8/4/2014 10:35:57 PM   
Onlythebassist

So many memorable quotes, with the quip involving the word 'scrotum' probably the standout. Whereas the whole environment is immersive and the characterisation is strong in the same way as other Coen Brothers films achieve, it's the in-jokes for musicians that really make the film great for me. John Goodman's performance as Roland Turner embodies the cynical rivalries between genres, with his blunt evaluation of folk ('you play folk music? I thought you said you were a musician') providing some great moments. And of course, Oscar Isaac's A-grade performance (both musically and acting) gives you a loveable loser that you cannot help but root for throughout.

'You have my money taped to your tits, technically you do work for me' - Donnie, The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013

(in reply to ploppyx)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Inside Llewyn Davis Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI