Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I'm sorry, what?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: I'm sorry, what? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm sorry, what? - 19/1/2014 8:00:51 PM   
will1000

I love Drive. I love Ron Pearlman. But Ron Pearlman's dialogue in Drive is awful, so much so that when he's talkin' and a swearin' it completely takes me away from the film, especially that bit about 'pussy'.

...donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

(in reply to Onlythebassist)
Post #: 31
RE: I'm sorry, what? - 24/1/2014 3:44:55 PM   
justfontaine

I was having a conversation the other day about The Dark Knight Rises and the final reveal of *Spoilers* Alfred looking up and seeing Bruce sitting in the cafe with Selina and how that is a shot that kinda took me and my friend out of the movie for a second. Alright, not on first viewing perhaps, but on repeated watches, the idea of Alfred looking up, smiling but us not getting to see who it is he is smiling at feels so much stronger and would have created such a better mythology abut the ending of the Batman character. I just feel Nolan showing us Bale sitting there is a bit on the nose and tacky and slightly similar to that old Pulp Fiction story where the producers were adamant that Travolta had to be on screen come the end of the film no matter what as he was the bankable star there. I think TDKR would have came across with a lot more credibility than it did eventually if that single shot would have been taken out.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 32
RE: I'm sorry, what? - 3/2/2014 12:14:20 PM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

I was having a conversation the other day about The Dark Knight Rises and the final reveal of *Spoilers* Alfred looking up and seeing Bruce sitting in the cafe with Selina and how that is a shot that kinda took me and my friend out of the movie for a second. Alright, not on first viewing perhaps, but on repeated watches, the idea of Alfred looking up, smiling but us not getting to see who it is he is smiling at feels so much stronger and would have created such a better mythology abut the ending of the Batman character. I just feel Nolan showing us Bale sitting there is a bit on the nose and tacky and slightly similar to that old Pulp Fiction story where the producers were adamant that Travolta had to be on screen come the end of the film no matter what as he was the bankable star there. I think TDKR would have came across with a lot more credibility than it did eventually if that single shot would have been taken out.

Plus it seems kind of stupid to fake your own death and then sit around in a public place in one of the most visited places on earth. Bruce Wayne isn't some nobody but one of the richest people ever. Someone simply must recognize him.

Post #: 33
RE: I'm sorry, what? - 3/2/2014 12:29:51 PM   
snaze1

quote:

Bankable star????
In 1994 John Travolta was hardly a "Bankable star" and would have struggled to get himself arrested at that time!
He hadnt been in any thing of note for years at that time & his "star" was rapidly fading.
Surely if anyone in Pulp Fiction could have been considered bankable it would be Bruce Willis.

Post #: 34
RE: I'm sorry, what? - 6/2/2014 5:31:25 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

A couple spring to mind.

The cats in Let The Right One In. I think I missed the next few minutes of the film because I was still too busy scratching my head, thinking "wtf!"

And the elevator scene in Drive. I've had this argument before so know I'm largely alone on this, but I often think Refn has this slightly daft tendency to turn into Lloyd Kaufman every now and again. Regardless of what he says, I find it hard to believe it's intended to be realistic. It's simply a childish ghoulishness that's slightly misplaced. In the middle of what had been a beautiful film, it just felt like I was suddenly watching The Toxic Avenger. But, I appreciate that's probably just me.

Concur with Tarantino's appearance in Django too. Awful, awful decision.

Oh. And probably the opening of Lost in Translation. I couldn't remember any of the film after that opening shot.

I agree with all of these and I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who found the supposed "realistic" violence of Drive cartoonishly OTT.

Also have to agree with the violence in Watchmen. It was obviously amped up presumably to satisfy young men wanting bone-crunching "realistic" violence again, but for me it felt completely wrong for the story, as you said regarding Dan and Laurie not being psychos like Rorschach. I just felt it lingered far too long on the violence in a leery video-game way and seemed to miss the entire point of the original comic, feeling more like one of the painfully serious "grim" imitators that followed in it's wake.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 35
RE: I'm sorry, what? - 6/2/2014 11:12:05 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

Plus it seems kind of stupid to fake your own death and then sit around in a public place in one of the most visited places on earth. Bruce Wayne isn't some nobody but one of the richest people ever. Someone simply must recognize him.

Some great examples already, but this one takes the biscuit! It was totally needless, and since it was the end of Nolan's trilogy anyway then why not leave it open ended, they could have always explained it should/when the character returns. I did hear a rumour than the studio insisted on the ending, but who knows if that is true.

I too never knew that about Michael J. Fox in BTTFII. I noticed she looked like him, but then just put it down to it being his SISTER! That is pretty awesome.

Disagree on the violence in Drive, than it comes out of nowhere and is so graphic after very little or no violence leading up to it is what makes it so shocking, and relates to the character's state of mind.

One example I thought was Waltz for Bashair. Its a good film, but when they switch to the real life footage at the end, it took me out of the film because the use of animation had done such a good job of gripping me up until that point, the sudden change didn't really add anything either.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 36
RE: I'm sorry, what? - 19/2/2014 1:35:39 PM   
ccccc

Even though there are a lot of major movie stars in The Thin Red Line their performances are beautiful and subtle and none of them take you out of the movie.
Except for George Clooney suddenly popping up at the end. What a way to break the spell.

(in reply to Onlythebassist)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: I'm sorry, what? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI