Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sony Announces Its Spider-Man Spin-Offs

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sony Announces Its Spider-Man Spin-Offs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sony Announces Its Spider-Man Spin-Offs - 13/12/2013 10:31:28 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 13/12/2013 10:46:24 AM   
TPM007

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrizBe

Not surprising at all given that Venom is the fan favourite from the Spiderman universe and that to do the sinister Six any kind of justice, you'd need an entire movie devoted just to them. But, I fail to see how either could work as a spin off given that you'd need Spiderman to make them work.

I agree, a film solely about a group of villains surely needs a hero for audiences to get behind, otherwise we'll just be watching bad guys doing evil stuff...it worked for Tony Montana, but for comic book villains? I don't see it working without Spidey.
Post #: 2
RE: Andrew Garfield needs to be on board if these happen - 13/12/2013 3:26:54 PM   
GrizBe

Venom could work well on his own If they went the Anti-hero route with him. But you'd still need it to be tied into Spidey for it to work well. If we have a Spidey film featuring the full symbiote cycle etc. rather then just the cheap lip-service bit we got with it in the original Spidey 3, a spin-off could be handled and done really well. I could see it leading to something of a Venom vs Carnage bit perhaps.
Post #: 3
RE: Andrew Garfield needs to be on board if these happen - 13/12/2013 6:06:12 PM   
y2cave

I hope they don't just start throwing money at these films. The Spider-Man sequel already looks like effects overkill with Electro barely more than a special effect rather than a character. I had hoped that Dredd would be more successful, in the hope that it would change the current trend for comic book films getting more and more expensive. I felt the lean 40m budget meant we got a solid character-based thriller with emphasis on intelligent direction and imaginative camera work. I'd rather have a series of smaller films with compelling stories than hours of green screen work. The first Amazing Spidey suffered due to overuse of the Lizard (and his poor conception, IMO (phantom mass!)), when Ifans had enough presence and pathos to engage the audience.

So I hope they do these films smaller, 100m each at most. Maybe even a mini series of one shots. Either way, I hope the market can take it.

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 4
Could be great - 14/12/2013 9:58:40 AM   
Macavity

I'm kind of stunned by the lack of imagination from the nay-sayers in this thread.

This has potential to be a lot of fun. Has a comic book villain ever had a solo film before?
Post #: 5
RE: Lame - 14/12/2013 4:18:42 PM   
GrizBe

quote:

ORIGINAL: gary franklin

The first Garfield spider-man movie was average at best and this looks to be several shades of lame. i mean come on they've turned electro into a dude that can turn into electricity and travel by sockets. And god forbid am i not seeing the whole picture but is the rhino some dude in a four legged tank. Christ no doubt this will make buckets of cash but it already looks shite.

You do realise that in the comics Electro can turn into electricity and travel via wire? And as for Rhino... His powers were always from his special suit. They've just decided to go the mechanical mecha route rather then the skin bonded special fabrics etc.
Post #: 6
RE: Lame - 16/12/2013 8:42:46 AM   
Macavity

quote:

quote:

The first Garfield spider-man movie was average at best and this looks to be several shades of lame. i mean come on they've turned electro into a dude that can turn into electricity and travel by sockets. And god forbid am i not seeing the whole picture but is the rhino some dude in a four legged tank. Christ no doubt this will make buckets of cash but it already looks shite.

You do realise that in the comics Electro can turn into electricity and travel via wire? And as for Rhino... His powers were always from his special suit. They've just decided to go the mechanical mecha route rather then the skin bonded special fabrics etc.

Grizbe is right. A more 'organic' suit for Rhino would just be a visual retread of what we've already seen with Lizard.

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 7
RE: Lame - 17/12/2013 10:50:48 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macavity

quote:

quote:

Grizbe is right. A more 'organic' suit for Rhino would just be a visual retread of what we've already seen with Lizard.

Also, there is precedent for Rhino's suit being a mecha in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 8
RE: Lame - 17/12/2013 10:58:31 AM   
GrizBe

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Also, there is precedent for Rhino's suit being a mecha in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

That too. Its a military hardware armor suit known as R.H.I.N.O.. And Marvel does seem to be using the Ultimate universe more then the classic for its movies lately.... Yes, different studios and ownerships etc. But still.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 9
RE: Who the Hell thinks this is a good idea?!?!?!? - 19/1/2014 5:18:11 PM   
Darren47

If I was a producer, I would would say F*** NO to the idea. It just sounds stupid from the start. And what if the project falls into the wrong hands, like Brett Ratner or an unknown Michael Bay Wannabe. hopefully, Sony well handle the villains with care. all I can do is cross my fingers.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sony Announces Its Spider-Man Spin-Offs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI