Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The 20 Best Set-Pieces Of 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The 20 Best Set-Pieces Of 2013 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The 20 Best Set-Pieces Of 2013 - 5/12/2013 3:28:14 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 5/12/2013 3:28:14 PM   
Whistler

Really good list, but Django's gunfight at Candieland needs to be there as well.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Bad year - 5/12/2013 5:18:47 PM   
guysalisbury

You know its a bad year for films when scene's from Olympus Has fallen and White House Down make it onto the list. On the plus side, that video clip from The Place Beyond The Pines is brilliant. I watched it on a plane and as a result didn't really like it. That has made we wanna get the Blu Ray and do it all over again!

Post #: 3
RE: Bad year - 5/12/2013 8:12:19 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: guysalisbury

You know its a bad year for films when scene's from Olympus Has fallen and White House Down make it onto the list. On the plus side, that video clip from The Place Beyond The Pines is brilliant. I watched it on a plane and as a result didn't really like it. That has made we wanna get the Blu Ray and do it all over again!

This list has nothing to do with Empire's thoughts on the movies as a whole - it's great set-pieces. You're not really going to get a memorable set-piece in a quiet, character-driven drama. Anyway, all I've heard about White House Down is that it was great fun.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 4
Poor picks... - 5/12/2013 9:42:10 PM   
GrizBe

Seriously.. these were the best set pieces you guys could think of? What about the whole Loki betrayal bit in Thor 2? That was more stunning. Or for that matter the world engine kicking in in Man Of Steel.

Then what about all the stuff you missed, the Adrenaline hyped Hit Girl in Kick Ass 2? Pacific Rims Kaiju fights. Heck, The 'House Party' in Iron Man 3.

And if we're talking animated films, why not Despicable Me 2's Minions going after the kidnapped Gru, or for that matter, the compound assault towards the end?

Post #: 5
- 5/12/2013 11:35:47 PM   
benthemitchell

Don't mean to be a stickler, but Hugh Jackman played Jean Valjean, not Javert.

Post #: 6
RE: Poor picks... - 6/12/2013 10:01:38 AM   
rob robbington2

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrizBe

Seriously.. these were the best set pieces you guys could think of? What about the whole Loki betrayal bit in Thor 2? That was more stunning. Or for that matter the world engine kicking in in Man Of Steel.

Then what about all the stuff you missed, the Adrenaline hyped Hit Girl in Kick Ass 2? Pacific Rims Kaiju fights. Heck, The 'House Party' in Iron Man 3.

And if we're talking animated films, why not Despicable Me 2's Minions going after the kidnapped Gru, or for that matter, the compound assault towards the end?

Opinions innit. I liked the list.

(in reply to GrizBe)
Post #: 7
- 6/12/2013 10:09:25 AM   
frankie

I hate to be the kind of poster who says "I can't believe you miss out x or y." But to paraphrase Sam Jackson in Jackie Brown, I gots ta be that kind of erm .. poster.

So I can't believe you missed Jim Broadbent and fellow pensioners escaping from an old folks home in Cloud Atlas.
Hell, as much as I loved Cloud Atlas as a whole, the old folks storyline by itself would be a movie I'd happily pay to see.

Post #: 8
RE: - 6/12/2013 10:13:44 AM   
Mr Saxon

quote:

ORIGINAL: frankie

I hate to be the kind of poster who says "I can't believe you miss out x or y." But to paraphrase Sam Jackson in Jackie Brown, I gots ta be that kind of erm .. poster.

So I can't believe you missed Jim Broadbent and fellow pensioners escaping from an old folks home in Cloud Atlas.
Hell, as much as I loved Cloud Atlas as a whole, the old folks storyline by itself would be a movie I'd happily pay to see.

You know, I tend to hear the opposite opinion from most people and it's refreshing to encounter someone who actually favors the Broadbent sequence. I thought it was great myself.

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 6/12/2013 3:03:16 PM   
rob robbington2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Saxon

quote:

ORIGINAL: frankie

You know, I tend to hear the opposite opinion from most people and it's refreshing to encounter someone who actually favors the Broadbent sequence. I thought it was great myself.

Admit it! You're really Frankie and you set this Mr Saxon profile up just to back yourself up!

(in reply to Mr Saxon)
Post #: 10
RE: Bad year - 6/12/2013 3:13:26 PM   
guysalisbury

Not sure if I had a go at Empire anywhere in my comment did I?! I was simply suggesting that because, in my opinion 2013 was not a great year for films, Empire probably didn't have a huge list of set pieces to choose from, hence the inclusion of two rather mediocre set pieces. I have seen both the films in question and both set pieces were only ok.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 11
OZ - 12/12/2013 8:15:13 PM   
simonwalk104

Not the most popular film of the year, but surely i wasn't the only one who loved the hot air ballon vs the tornado scene in OZ, the great and powerful, a thrilling few minutes of pure raimi-ism in a family film, and the transition from black and white to a full 3d technicoloured oz was breathtaking! He even ends it by throwing us over a waterfall and the camera never cut away - fanstastic!!

Post #: 12
OZ - 12/12/2013 8:22:47 PM   
simonwalk104

Not the most popular film of the year, but surely i wasn't the only one who loved the hot air ballon vs the tornado scene in OZ, the great and powerful, a thrilling few minutes of pure raimi-ism in a family film, and the transition from black and white to a full 3d technicoloured oz was breathtaking! He even ends it by throwing us over a waterfall and the camera never cut away - fanstastic!!

Post #: 13
Not Javert! - 10/1/2014 9:34:12 AM   
Enzino

Fire the intern who wrote that the hero is named Javert and not Jean Valjean! Hugh Jackman plays Valjean and Russell Crowe is the villian Javert. Sacre Bleu!

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The 20 Best Set-Pieces Of 2013 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI