Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: drug users subject to urban poverty

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: drug users subject to urban poverty Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: drug users subject to urban poverty - 7/2/2014 2:30:51 PM   
OldGrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: The representation of drug users subject to urban poverty -
What I've noticed so far is that in all three films drugs are used as a form of escapism from fitting into social expectations and to get away from the boredom of having a day job.

This is a complex issue and not as simple as the "all drug users are idiots" statement. First of all, casual drug use is not the same as drug addiction, just as smoking a spliff on a weekend is not the same as injecting heroin a dozen times a day. Therefore, films reflect different aspects depending upon their subject, Trainspotting for example is not reflection of Thatcherism, government, boredom or anything else. The film shows full on, class a drug addicted characters, you could change a lot about the world around many of them but they would still only give a shit about their next score.
Lets not fool ourselves here, addiction to hard drugs results in utter destruction, once addicted you cant keep a job down and you cant claim enough off the government to fund your habit, so you reach a point where you make a choice, kick it or fund it through crime.
Now I would argue that nobody actually makes a choice to become a shit yourself, stinking, thieving, junkie addict as per Trainspotting, but regrettably that is what happens once the drug of choice gets a hold on the user and often the user has little choice in that. However, at some point, that user decided to stick their drug of choice into their system for the first time, at that point they believe they are in control. At that point, there must be a reason and it is as varied as the life of the user themselves, take Tommy in Trainspotting, his first use has nothing to do with anything but a broken heart. But once that addicition kicks in, forget how the drug is used, it is the user themselves who is used. The single, driving thought pulsing through that addict is where is how to get the next fix.
A casual user is a different animal and I know folk who have dabbled in drugs for decades, for them it is no different to going out and getting drunk. And poll a hundred people why they do that on a weekend and I will wager it has little to do with politics, urban poverty or avoiding work !
People often take the view that drug addiction (not just drug use) is down to that persons choice, let them get on with it. But the bigger question is what does it cost society ie the taxpayer ? You may be surprised to learn it is 14 billion in crime and nearly 500 million in health care.
So back to the original question and I believe that even Trainspotting, a fantastic movie on drug addiction, barely scratches the surface of the why and hows, Human Traffic however is much more a period piece, back then you could hardly find anyone in the club scene who wasnt on something ! That film reflected the time, nothing to do with poverty or politics. I feel I have strayed a little . ? ? but in regard to your original post, no, sorry, I dont think politics or poverty have anything to do with it.
Apologies for the ramble

A critic is a man who knows the way but can't drive the car.

"Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

(in reply to freckles95)
Post #: 31
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: drug users subject to urban poverty Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI