Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nebraska - 1/12/2013 8:59:09 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
I love Alexander Payne - 1/12/2013 8:59:09 PM   
FoxDhoj

I also love Bruce Dern and Stacy Keach, and I'm interested in both Will Forte and Bob Odenkirk 'playing it straight'. I think this could be my most anticipated film of December, and I didn't think I'd say that knowing Anchorman 2, All Is Lost and The Desolation of Smaug are all coming out too!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Brilliant - 10/12/2013 7:24:59 PM   
ryanjjhall04

Great on all levels. See it.

Post #: 3
it is absolutely great - 23/12/2013 7:30:04 PM   
tysmuse

One of the year's best movies.

Post #: 4
RE: it is absolutely great - 31/12/2013 9:41:45 AM   
chang

The year's best movie. Period. And finally a best actor nod for Bruce Dern and add a nod for June Squibb who does the year's best supporting performance.
quote:

Nebraska

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 5
RE: No sleep 'til Lincoln - 15/1/2014 1:41:11 PM   
Magenta

Nebraska, even the name feels chilly.
Opening shots we see our "hero" shuffling along the a highway and immediatly we are on his side.
Woody (Bruce Dern) believes he's won a million dollars and despite being told it's a scam isn't taking it lying down,he's walkin!
Eventually after a time David (Woody's son) takes it upon himself to take the old man and of course there by starts a whole other story.
Middle America insights and fractured family ties along the way with some endearing moments too.
Terrific turn by Mr Dern who most definetly deserves that best actor nomination as the bedraggled,cantankerous old coot you cant help but love.
Low key it may be but it's full of sweet charm.

< Message edited by Magenta -- 15/1/2014 1:49:14 PM >

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to chang)
Post #: 6
- 13/2/2014 10:52:37 PM   
TheGodfather

Nebraska
Alexander Payne, the man behind Sideways, brings us this beautiful and heavy drama.
Completely shot in black-and-white, Nebraska tells the story of Woody Grant. He`s a confused, older man who one day finds a letter in his mail box saying he won one million dollars in a lottery. The only thing he has to do to get the money is go to Lincoln,Nebraska to pick the price up. His two sons and excentric wife know it`s a marketing trick and do everything in their power to change his mind, trying to make him understand he didn`t win anything. But Woody is a stubborn old man and wants to go to Nebraska. Understanding that his dad would go anyway, his youngest son David takes him a on a road trip to pick up the old man`s price. On their way to stay with family in a town they once lived in, where by now everyone has heard about Woody having won a big prize...

Payne`s choice to shoot the film completely in black and white was a good one. It give this raw, rather sad excistence of our lead character extra power.
The film is centered around the performance of Bruce Dern as Woody. Without that being a great one, the film is nowhere. Luckily for Payne and the audience, that isn`t the case. His performance is out of this world. You really feel for the sad old man. That makes it even more obvious how hypocrite the people in his former town are. You`re almost ashemed just watching it. Nowhere he overdoes it, for the complete two hours it`s a wonderfull character.
As far as I`m concerned, this is Payne`s best work by far. Up to last scene he knows how to move you and that last scene almost moves you to tears.
Absolutely magical!!

8,8/10

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Nebraska Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI