Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The 50 Best Films Of 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The 50 Best Films Of 2013 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The 50 Best Films Of 2013 - 1/12/2013 6:44:14 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Seriously???? - 1/12/2013 6:54:34 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hector26

Iron Man 3 at no.7 after the laughably pointless 'twist'?

It's Empire's list, they can put it wherever they want.
Post #: 2
RE: The 50 Best Films Of 2013 - 1/12/2013 7:30:06 PM   
Beetlejuice!

They seem to have forgotten Silver Linings Playbook. Best film of the year!
Post #: 3
RE: The 50 Best Films Of 2013 - 1/12/2013 8:05:42 PM   
Tiggerspal

Silver Linings Playbook was released in 2012.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 4
RE: Vampire rasicm, Zombie favouritism - 2/12/2013 12:42:14 AM   
odddaze

Sad to see no love for Spring Breakers or Kings of Summer. Sad to see love for Man of Steel, Warm Bodies, Now You See Me and The Bling Ring.

I am The Ugly Truth!
Post #: 5
RE: Vampire rasicm, Zombie favouritism - 2/12/2013 12:43:28 AM   
odddaze

Also, to those complaining about release dates, I'm pretty sure they're going by the British schedule, to find more details, visit launchingfilms.co.uk

I am The Ugly Truth!

(in reply to odddaze)
Post #: 6
RE: WTF - 2/12/2013 12:46:42 AM   
odddaze

quote:

ORIGINAL: That other movie guy

For those who hate clicking, these are top 10 from Empire
1:Gravity
2: Captain Phillips
3: Rush
4: Mud
5: Lincoln
6: Stoker
7: Iron Man 3
8: Before Midnight
9: The Great Beauty
10: ALAN PARTRIDGE: ALPHA PAPA

Omg worst top 10 movies I've ever seen my a movie website, How is Iron man 3 in there? even though Cloud Atlas came out end of last year that movie would wipe Iron Man 3 with toilet paper.. Where the heck is Oblivion in all of the top 10?

Out of the 10, I've seen 7, out of the 7 I've seen I adored 5, the other 2... I was fine with Iron Man and cared very little for Lincoln. Pretty good list if you ask me.

< Message edited by odddaze -- 2/12/2013 12:47:10 AM >

I am The Ugly Truth!
Post #: 7
RE: Gravity is the shit at the top (or bottom) of the pile - 2/12/2013 11:32:12 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonny24

Wow, what a shit year for movies, which was worse than the last, which was worse than the year before that, etc. Only World War Z and Oblivion were any good, and that was surprising in itself. Of course neither got much credit around here.

You're not looking hard enough. 2013 has been one of the best years for film in recent memory.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 8
Iron Man 3 & Stoker - 2/12/2013 11:59:51 AM   
Macavity

Really glad to see the excellent Iron Man 3 achieving a high slot in the list. A genuinely funny, thrilling, surprising flick and one of the best superhero films ever made.
Equally happy to see Stoker hit high too. It feels like an instant cult-classic.

I'm not so sure about Gravity. It's a good film (one that can only really be appreciated in the cinema) but is it really the best of the year? In comparison to last year's equally stunning Life of Pi it feels pretty bereft of weight.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 9
RE: Great list! - 2/12/2013 12:11:30 PM   
dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeTheActorMan

Gravity definitely deserved Number 1, absolutely stunning and incredible film! Unlike anything else released this year! And Captain Phillips at number 2 is very well deserved too. I'm so glad About Time was on this as well... I went into that thinking it'd be a romantic comedy with a time-travel twist, but about half way through he gets the girl and it turns into an exploration about the bond between father and son and nearly made me cry!
Disappointed Pacific Rim isn't on here?? I thought that, Man of Steel and Star Trek: Into Darkness were the three best blockbusters this year!
Also, Oblivion! Where's the love for that? The story, the acting, the cinematography, the special effects in that were stunning, and I really think it's a great semi-original and gripping sci-fi film that really surprised me this year!

Agree with everything you said. I think Empire's Top 3 (Gravity-Captain Phillips-Rush) is near perfect but the rest is really weird. Man of Steel deserved to be way higher than the other superhero movies (if you watch Man of Steel, Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 several times you'll realise how formulaic the latter two are, Man of Steel being the one that gets better and better with repeated viewings). And Oblivion definitely deserved a place here. But to each his own taste, Empire's Top 50 won't alter my own Top 50, which is as valid as theirs. The absence of some movies i loved won't make me love them any less! :-)
Post #: 10
RE: Great list! - 2/12/2013 1:05:54 PM   
Macavity

quote:

ORIGINAL: dseys
Empire's Top 50 won't alter my own Top 50, which is as valid as theirs.

How do you figure that?

< Message edited by Macavity -- 2/12/2013 1:06:13 PM >

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 11
RE: LOUD NOISES - 2/12/2013 1:40:11 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrispdaniel

How dare you Empire, I am a generic movie goer who didn't see all of the films released this year, but does see more than your average Joe/Jane, and you failed to mention some of my favourite films and/or rated some films more highly than I would have done. You nincompoops! Do you professionals know nothing. Clearly I am right because I say I am, and therefore I shall use this comment section to voice my anger at your betrayal of all that is good and holy about subjective opinions. I am so disappointed, but not nearly as disappointed as I would have been had you not compiled such a list for me to agree or disagree with in the first place. Then I would have been mad!

Yours sincerely

I M Right

p.s. I thought this was a good read, and actually think it has been a good year for films in general. Keep up the good work everyone.

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 12
RE: - 2/12/2013 4:20:51 PM   
MDG_78

I too think it's been a really good year for films, surprised Django didn't rank higher and was disappointed with Lincoln but agree with many choices. Gravity, Rush and Captain Phillips all really good mainstream drama's that don't treat their audience like dolts and although Iron Man 3 was entertaining both Star Trek and Man Of Steel were better (the latter featuring very highly on my own Top 10 list, can't understand the hate for it).

Now You See Me though...easily the worst film I have seen this year. At first I thought it was average fare and inoffensive pop BUT as it dragged on and on and I started to dislike nearly everyone single person in it (exception of Melanie Laurent) and got a headache from the camera spinning around all the time and the annoying music and rubbish CGI-enhanced 'magic' tricks (see The Prestige and The Illusionist for examples of how it can be done) , I came to the conclusion that it was indeed a piece of garbage. Shame to the friend who recommended the film to me lol

Can't complete my Top Ten list though as year isn't over and still to see Only God Forgives, The Hobbit: TDOS, All Is Lost but pretty good year. Don't forget films like Argo, Zero Dark Thirty and Mud should all be considered as released in the UK in 2013.

PS - My film of the year so far was released last year in the UK but on about 10 screens or something so was never going to get to see it at the cinema. Cheating perhaps but I don't care. The film in question? The Master - some of the greatest acting I have ever seen onscreen. PTA is a genius, end of story.
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 2/12/2013 5:03:37 PM   
Magenta

I agree this year has been stronger than 2012 and the list as it goes is on the whole is a good one.
I am although very surprised not to see The Way Way Back?
Any explanations Empire?
So very peased to see Mud so high and perplexed to see Now You See Me,which I also think was awful,I think the trick was I sat through it!
One that because of the unexplainable release date is Bernie and consequently it's slipped throught two years netting,which is a shame and like a lot of really good films I scream two words " Limited Release!!"

So pleased that at least my local has some sense,next stop Nebraska.

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to MDG_78)
Post #: 14
RE: RE: - 2/12/2013 5:13:11 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Magenta

I agree this year has been stronger than 2012 and the list as it goes is on the whole is a good one.
I am although very surprised not to see The Way Way Back?
Any explanations Empire?
So very peased to see Mud so high and perplexed to see Now You See Me,which I also think was awful,I think the trick was I sat through it!
One that because of the unexplainable release date is Bernie and consequently it's slipped throught two years netting,which is a shame and like a lot of really good films I scream two words " Limited Release!!"

So pleased that at least my local has some sense,next stop Nebraska.

All in my top 10

(in reply to Magenta)
Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 2/12/2013 5:26:35 PM   
MDG_78

Also some love for Blackfish, saw it recently and glad I did. A gripping documentary, perhaps not as obviously upsetting as Grizzly Man (although that guy was plain weird) but more subtle and thought-provoking. Free Willy indeed!

I forgot to mention Trance, unexpected gem of a film and easily for me Boyle's best since Sunshine. Strong cast, interesting premise and definitely one of those films where each will come to their own conclusions. Not quite the British 'Inception' but worth watching for sure.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 16
RE: The Way Way Back - 2/12/2013 5:36:53 PM   
LetsKissToMakeItReal

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeadlyDave

Though I fully accept that there isn't room for everything and you certainly can not please everyone, personally I feel the omission of The Way Way Back is criminal.

Seconded! It's just unforgivable.
Post #: 17
RE: The Way Way Back - 2/12/2013 5:46:39 PM   
Magenta

quote:

ORIGINAL: LetsKissToMakeItReal

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeadlyDave

Though I fully accept that there isn't room for everything and you certainly can not please everyone, personally I feel the omission of The Way Way Back is criminal.

Seconded! It's just unforgivable.

Thirded! I think there's enough of us,shall we start a cause ?

Mr Rockwell is with us..

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to LetsKissToMakeItReal)
Post #: 18
RE: The 50 Best Films Of 2013 - 2/12/2013 6:38:48 PM   
dseys

For those who don't want to click and click and click: here's the full list.

50. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
50. Anchorman 2
50. The Hobbit 2
47. Now You See Me
46. Prisoners
45. The Conjuring
44. Kill Your Darlings
43. Much Ado About Nothing
42. Robot & Frank
41. World War Z
40. Nebraska
39. The Bling Ring
38. Warm Bodies
37. Wreck-it-Ralph
36. The Place Beyond The Pines
35. Saving Mr Banks
34. Star Trek Into Darkness
33. Les Misérables
32. The Impossible
31. About Time
30. Frances Ha
29. Philomena
28. Man of Steel
27. Trance
26. Hunger Games 2
25. A Field In England
24. Filth
23. Blue Is The Warmest Colour
22. All Is Lost
21. Upstream Colour
20. Cloud Atlas
19. Blackfish
18. Only God Forgives
17. Thor 2
16. Short Term 12
15. Blue Jasmine
14. Behind The Candelabra
13. Django Unchained
12. The World's End
11. Zero Dark Thirty
10. Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
9. The Great Beauty
8. Before Midnight
7. Iron Man 3
6. Stoker
5. Lincoln
4. Mud
3. Rush
2. Captain Phillips
1. Gravity

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 19
RE: The 50 Best Films Of 2013 - 2/12/2013 6:48:30 PM   
Qwerty Norris

There's plenty on your list that I'd take exception to, but it's good to see you got the number 1 right.

Like others on the thread though, I'm sad to see no place for the Way Way Back. That film took me completely by surprise at how emotionally engaging and well observed it was. I also thought it would be something right up your alley, at least to break the top 50 anyway.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 20
RE: The 50 Best Films Of 2013 - 2/12/2013 7:06:27 PM   
garvielloken

Some great films in that list - Mud, Zero Dark Thirty, Man of Steel, Gravity, Frances Ha, Only God Forgives, A Field in England and Upstream Color are superb choices. Although it is surprising to see The Act of Killing omitted. Was it released in the UK this year or last year? Oh and I wish Leviathan had gotten a place on the list. It's still my favourite of the year so far.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 21
RE: Stoker? - 2/12/2013 10:49:12 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris wootton

Bollocks

Don't hold back tell us what you really think

Meanwhile...
Post #: 22
RE: World War Z?? - 3/12/2013 5:42:02 PM   
beardyphysics

I would have liked to have seen the way way back on there as well as side effects but it is a good list. I find it weird that Django and Zero Dark Thirty are on there as they seem like last years christmas movies. Don't know if they where released in 2013 but it feels like ages ago.
Post #: 23
The Impossible - 3/12/2013 7:35:57 PM   
caberma

What do you mean "recasting its true-life family with Caucasian actors"?! The movie is based on the story of a Spanish family, and Spanish are Caucasian, usually with darker hair, eyes or complexion, but Caucasian anyway.

Post #: 24
No Elysium ?? - 5/12/2013 9:41:49 AM   
JosteinAsk

Seriously !? That movie was tits !

Post #: 25
The Impossible @caberma - 5/12/2013 9:43:46 AM   
JosteinAsk

spanish people goes under hispanic, not caucasian

Post #: 26
RIDICULOUS - 5/12/2013 1:04:10 PM   
Fozola

I'm sorry but any list that has Only God Forgives in it that doesn't have 'FUCKING WORST EVER' in it's title cannot be taken seriously. Truly the worst ever experience I have ever had in a multiplex and I would strongly recommend NEVER watching this pile of tripe...boring, nonsensical shite! How this can place above any film in ANY list is fuckin beyond me...WANK!

Post #: 27
Only God Forgives - 5/12/2013 9:47:42 PM   
Ennio Morricone

Many thanks for including Only God Forgives. Nicolas Winding Refn's misunderstood and criminally underrated visual tour-de-force. It's easily my favourite film of the year. A surreal, mesmerising cinematic masterpiece.

Post #: 28
THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES - 5/12/2013 11:36:54 PM   
d0m_l

How on Earth this is only listed as high as 36 I'll never know. Top ten at least surely? It's much better than Lincoln for a start!

Post #: 29
- 6/12/2013 10:48:11 AM   
lankeymarlon

I can't believe 'The Way Way Back' isn't on this list. I think that is my film of the year.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The 50 Best Films Of 2013 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI