Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discussion Thread.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discussion Thread. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discussion... - 28/11/2013 11:01:48 PM   
Beetlejuice!

2014 Lists

Discussion for your lists begins here!

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 28/11/2013 11:12:33 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 29/11/2013 12:02:23 AM   
Ultimo Lee

In

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 2
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 29/11/2013 7:58:02 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Still two threads. Oh well.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 3
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 29/11/2013 8:07:45 AM   
AxlReznor

Two threads is better. It enables people to see lists without having to wade through hundreds of pages of discussion.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 29/11/2013 8:32:35 AM   
Beetlejuice!

I agree with Gimli though, it's much easier just editing your list then replying to it to discuss, rather than having two threads open.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 5
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 1/1/2014 6:19:25 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

I agree with Gimli though, it's much easier just editing your list then replying to it to discuss, rather than having two threads open.

That only applies if you made it onto page 1 or 2 though. If not, it's a convoluted nightmare that discourages anyone from joining in as the year goes on

One thread also encourages the clique. That's not a good thing.

Anyhoo, first viewing of 2014. Set to be Blancanieves, a rewatch of Only God Forgives or one of the many hundred things recorded on my tivo box. Decisions decisions....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 6
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 1/1/2014 6:30:38 PM   
elab49

Clique is such a wholly inappropriate word here - the thread is completely open and we do get a lot of new posts popping up through the year, clearly unfazed by the size of the thread.

That said, we did say last year we'd give it a year to see. I've gotten used to the 2 thread format and have no issue either way. If there is a widespread clamour otherwise we can look at it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 7
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 1/1/2014 7:45:06 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Clique is such a wholly inappropriate word here

Well I strongly refute that. With one thread, I do not see how a newbie would be keen to start a list on page 30, placed between discussions and in-jokes among some of the better acquainted members.

quote:

- the thread is completely open and we do get a lot of new posts popping up through the year, clearly unfazed by the size of the thread.

And yet, there's a helluva lot more lists since there have been two threads in play.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 1/1/2014 8:16:33 PM   
MonsterCat

*le sigh* Next year I suggest we abandon this thread altogether and join Letterboxd instead. It will cut out the petty squabbling about dual threads. Anyhoo...

This Is the End (Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen; 2013)

I think I've said before that I'm not necessarily the world's biggest Rogan fan, but there's a lot of people in here that I do like. It's sometimes quite patchy, the stoner humour is still a bit boring and there's some self-congratulatory back slapping going on between Rogan and his buddies. But when it's funny, it's really funny and the whole thing has a loose, ramshackle and anarchic feel that I really responded to with 21 Jump Street. It also has Hermione Granger swinging an axe and saying fuck, and if that isn't worth the price of a rental I don't what is. It certainly made me feel oddly funny in the pants department. Anyhow, it's definitely Rogan's best film by a country mile, and while that may sound like damning with faint praise, I actually mean it and there's definitely some truly funny things in here. Michael Cera playing a coked up, borderline rapist version of himself being one of them.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/1/2014 8:26:39 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 9
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 1/1/2014 9:23:33 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

*le sigh* Next year I suggest we abandon this thread altogether and join Letterboxd instead. It will cut out the petty squabbling about dual threads. Anyhoo...

I had no idea what this was 5 minutes ago. Now I'm signing up. Thanks.

Regarding This Is the End, what did you make of...SPOILERS.........the heavenly act?

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 10
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 1/1/2014 9:28:05 PM   
MonsterCat

I didn't like it that way.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 11
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 1:10:35 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

That only applies if you made it onto page 1 or 2 though. If not, it's a convoluted nightmare that discourages anyone from joining in as the year goes on

Anyhoo, first viewing of 2014. Set to be Blancanieves, a rewatch of Only God Forgives or one of the many hundred things recorded on my tivo box. Decisions decisions....

Will that be your first viewing of it? Just wondering as it was my film of last year. so you know no pressure

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 2/1/2014 1:12:02 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 6:30:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

1. Troll Hunter (1st view, 2010, André Řvredal) - 4/5*
One of the better films in the found footage genre with some impressive effects and creature design.

2. The Bridge (1st view, 2008, Wolfgang Panzer) - 3/5*
German TV movie remake of a 1959 WWII film, which is, by all accounts, a lot better.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 13
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 7:57:35 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Clique is such a wholly inappropriate word here

Well I strongly refute that. With one thread, I do not see how a newbie would be keen to start a list on page 30, placed between discussions and in-jokes among some of the better acquainted members.

The term 'clique' is a wholly pejorative term on this Board though and most regular users would be aware of that, no matter dictionary definition (or of any Board - I can't think of any site forum where it isn't thrown about as an insult so I'm guessing your use must mean there are a couple of rare ones out there! ). Which still doesn't apply because, as I said. new user lists pop up all the time and there are no rules or anything else prohibiting such so absolute terms are inappropriate.

And we know this is the case because this is why Gram came up with the code that allowed people to go straight to any post on any page to where their list thread was in the first place.

It might be more unwieldy but it did us fine for several years and some clearly still have a preference so all power to them. They're perfectly entitled to that opinion without being called a clique

Inn of Evil (Kobayashi, 1971)

Technically finished on January 1st, the closest Kobayashi came to a heist movie. I.e. not very!

It Happened Tomorrow (Clair, 1944)

What I managed to get time to see before the relatives arrived,.

Kung Fu Panda 2 (Yuh, 2011)

Inferior sequel I watched slightly spaced out with medication - spaced out didn't really improve, sadly, it as it does so many other films. Not bad bad it's just I liked the original much more than I expected to.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 2/1/2014 9:08:16 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 14
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 8:28:00 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Heaven forbid that some people here like talking to each other. Let's just hang back and make cuntish comments about the regulars instead.

Post #: 15
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 9:44:07 AM   
AxlReznor

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 (David Yates, 2011)
I'm not a big Harry Potter fan, but this was a genuinely fun final installment in the series, and easily my favourite of the eight. (8/10)

Post #: 16
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 11:09:35 AM   
ElephantBoy

4 - Casper (Brad Silbering, 1995) 5.5/10

A classic example of a kids films which works better when the humans are left to their own devices. Pullman is unconvincing as the nerdy Ghost Wisperer, Christina Ricci is fittingly cute and moody, the villians are the best thing on show, but sadly are in it nearly enough.

3 - The Glenn Miller Story (Anthony Mann, 1953) 8/10

Seductive muscial biopic, which works as a Hollywood escapist fantasy, with a nice romance and a little back ground into the development of Jazz muisc. The pacing is solid, the visuals engaging, direction tight and leads game. A pure joy which will make you fall in love with Jazz even if you are not a fan.

2 - The Insider (Michael Mann, 1999) 9/10

Possbily Mann's greatest ever film. Its the ultimatle study of paranoia and the power of the media. Russell Crowe totally transform himself in a career defining performance, and the likes of Pacino and Plummer give hard hitting turns. The relationship between the central characters is believeable and the tensions between them doing the right thing morally, but also protecting the ones I love is compelling element of the film. The cinematography does a vivid job of getting you inside a harsh and courupt world, the attention to detail gets the viewer under the skin of complex characters, but is still cold and clinical enough to leave you detatched from them. Its a hard hitting event movie, and the best of its kind.

1 - Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979) 10/10

Still one of the creepiest films I have seen! Scott merges perfectly the elements of SCI-FI, supense thriller and the Monster movie. Not only in Ripley do we have a defining feminist icon, but the supporting cast of characters provide much depth, and many thrills. The creature effects are quite something too.

Coming up I will be finally viewing Burn After Reading, and rewatching one of great Powell & Pressburger movies The Red Shoes.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 17
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 12:29:25 PM   
MonsterCat

A Good Day to Die Hard (John Moore; 2013)

Hey, did you hate Die Hard 4.0? Well, John Moore's latest cinematic omnishambles makes Len Wiseman's entry into the franchise look like fucking Vertigo by comparison. AGDTDH is, by far, the worst one of the bunch. A loud, lazily thrown together, crushingly boring castrofuck of thermonuclear proportions, directed (using that term loosely) by a hack who couldn't even put together a primary school nativity play. Bruce Willis turns in perhaps one of his laziest performances. Here, McClane is no longer the reluctant hero and is more like a smirking, sociopathic fuckwad who carelessly wreaks havoc wherever he goes. Willis stumbles and mumbles throughout the whole affair looking like someone who is just marking time and waiting for the paycheque.

Say what you want about the previous film, but at least Wiseman had some understanding of what made McClane one of the most enduring action cinema icons of the last 30 years. And hey, despite severely jumping the shark during the last twenty minutes, it was actually pretty fun and had some decently put together action scenes. Justin Long was also quite a fun accomplice in a smart alecky kinda way. AGDTDH, by comparison, is about as much fun as tying your dick to the exhaust pipe of a car and having the car drive away at high-speed. Jai Courtney, meanwhile, is about as charming as stepping on a slug with bare feet and as much fun as being made to listen to Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines on a loop for the rest of your life.

It is cynical, lazy filmmaking of the highest order and was obviously made by some idiot who saw the original Die Hard but just didn't understand what made it work, which is the amazing interplay between the hero and the villain, DeSouza's lean and tight script and the superb action choreography. DH5 has none of the good stuff, and merely substitutes that stuff for a bunch of incomprehensibly staged and progressively boring action scenes. And the sad part of this? John Moore will probably go on to direct yet another eye raping piece of big studio shit. Paul Thomas Anderson finds funding for his films problematic, and yet this tremendously untalented John Moore fool gets jobs with ease. It's un-fucking-believable. Die Hard 5 is a textbook example of how to totally and utterly rape a tentpole franchise. Hey, good work, John, you colossal douche nozzle.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 2/1/2014 12:37:37 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 18
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 12:32:58 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Hey, did you hate Die Hard 4.0? Well, John Moore's latest cinematic omnishambles makes Len Wiseman's entry into the franchise look like fucking Vertigo by comparison. AGDTDH is, by far, the worst one of the bunch. A loud, lazily thrown together, crushingly boring castrofuck of thermonuclear proportions, directed (using that term loosely) by a hack who couldn't even put together a primary school nativity play. Bruce Willis turns in perhaps one of his laziest performances. Here, McClane is no longer the reluctant hero and is more like a smirking, sociopathic fuckwad who carelessly wreaks havoc wherever he goes. Willis stumbles and mumbles throughout the whole affair looking like someone who is just marking time and waiting for the paycheque.

Say what you want about the previous film, but at least Wiseman had some understanding of what made McClane one of the most enduring action cinema icons of the last 30 years. And hey, despite severely jumping the shark during the last twenty minutes, it was actually pretty fun and had some decently put together action scenes. Justin Long was also quite a fun accomplice in a smart alecky kinda way. AGDTDH, by comparison, is about as much fun as tying your dick to the exhaust pipe of a car and having the car drive away at high-speed. Jai Courtney, meanwhile, is about as charming as stepping on a slug with bare feet and as fun as being made to listen to Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines on a loop for the rest of your life.

It is cynical, lazy filmmaking of the highest order and was obviously made by some idiot who saw the original Die Hard but just didn't understand what made it work, which is the amazing interplay between the hero and the villain, DeSouza's lean and tight script and the superb action choreography. DH5 has none of the good stuff, and merely substitutes that stuff for a bunch of incomprehensibly staged and progressively boring action scenes. And the sad part of this? John Moore will probably go on to direct yet another eye raping piece of big studio shit. Die Hard 5 is a textbook example of how to totally and utterly rape a tentpole franchise. Hey, good work, John, you colossal douche nozzle.

But at least the film shows you how to deal with radiation exposure!

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 19
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 12:38:12 PM   
MonsterCat

*le sigh*

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 20
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 12:40:37 PM   
MonsterCat

And what does that title even fucking mean? When is it ever a good day to die?

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 21
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 12:41:30 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

*le sigh*

What's the problem? Suck it into a vacuum, job done!

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 22
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 12:43:34 PM   
MonsterCat

Have you seen this thing?

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 23
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 12:48:17 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I have. But I feel I'm misrembering? Was it chemicals they sprayed instead? Whatever it was I'd probably stopped paying attention at that point

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 24
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 12:52:22 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I have. But I feel I'm misrembering? Was it chemicals they sprayed instead? Whatever it was I'd probably stopped paying attention at that point

I don't blame you.

I will say this for it: At least it was only about 90 minutes long, and I didn't pay for it. It was on loan from a friend who I usually credit with better taste in films.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 25
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 1:07:51 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

Say what you want about the previous film, but at least Wiseman had some understanding of what made McClane one of the most enduring action cinema icons of the last 30 years. And hey, despite severely jumping the shark during the last twenty minutes, it was actually pretty fun and had some decently put together action scenes. Justin Long was also quite a fun accomplice in a smart alecky kinda way. AGDTDH, by comparison, is about as much fun as tying your dick to the exhaust pipe of a car and having the car drive away at high-speed. Jai Courtney, meanwhile, is about as charming as stepping on a slug with bare feet and as much fun as being made to listen to Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines on a loop for the rest of your life.

It is cynical, lazy filmmaking of the highest order and was obviously made by some idiot who saw the original Die Hard but just didn't understand what made it work, which is the amazing interplay between the hero and the villain, DeSouza's lean and tight script and the superb action choreography. DH5 has none of the good stuff, and merely substitutes that stuff for a bunch of incomprehensibly staged and progressively boring action scenes. And the sad part of this? John Moore will probably go on to direct yet another eye raping piece of big studio shit. Paul Thomas Anderson finds funding for his films problematic, and yet this tremendously untalented John Moore fool gets jobs with ease. It's un-fucking-believable. Die Hard 5 is a textbook example of how to totally and utterly rape a tentpole franchise. Hey, good work, John, you colossal douche nozzle.

Yeah, Die Hard 4 was a stupid bit of fun, I quite like it on that basis, but you're absolutely right, DH5 is diabolical.

The year can only get better from here!

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 1:10:01 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

Yeah, Die Hard 4 was a stupid bit of fun, I quite like it on that basis, but you're absolutely right, DH5 is diabolical.

The year can only get better from here!

Not if he watches Hangover III. There are few films capable of being that bad.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 27
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 1:20:00 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Not if he watches Hangover III. There are few films capable of being that bad.

I could be promised a threesome with Jessica Chastain and Aubrey Plaza after watching The Hangover 3 and I would still refuse to watch it.

Some things are just not worth putting yourself through.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 2/1/2014 1:23:32 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 28
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 1:41:52 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Will that be your first viewing of it? Just wondering as it was my film of last year. so you know no pressure

It'll be tonight's, I'll let you know.

quote:

The term 'clique' is a wholly pejorative term on this Board though and most regular users would be aware of that, no matter dictionary definition (or of any Board - I can't think of any site forum where it isn't thrown about as an insult so I'm guessing your use must mean there are a couple of rare ones out there! ). Which still doesn't apply because, as I said. new user lists pop up all the time and there are no rules or anything else prohibiting such so absolute terms are inappropriate.

And we know this is the case because this is why Gram came up with the code that allowed people to go straight to any post on any page to where their list thread was in the first place.

It might be more unwieldy but it did us fine for several years and some clearly still have a preference so all power to them. They're perfectly entitled to that opinion without being called a clique

This is because I didn't love the Great Beauty isn't it?

I'm not saying people are actively cliquely, it's just that 1 thread can create that impression. You obviously disagree, fair enough.

So for the sake of going round & round in circles, I feel 2 threads are better than 1 because it's more likely to encourage people to join in.

But yeah, films and stuff....

quote:

Heaven forbid that some people here like talking to each other. Let's just hang back and make cuntish comments about the regulars instead.

And a happy new year to you too.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discus... - 2/1/2014 1:51:24 PM   
elab49

I think 2 threads can as well - the argument goes that any long thread runs the risk of new posters being a little nervous of joining in - and it's also a fair argument that there's little point using the list thread if you don't use the discudsion thread as well - they're pretty intertwined. But as I said - I personally have no problem with the dual threads although I wasn't very pro the change last year.

And as I said - *Mod hat on* - if the feeling is strong enough it would be looked at

quote:

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2014 - Discussion Thread. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI