Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Annoyed at Breaking Bad spoilers in #295

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Annoyed at Breaking Bad spoilers in #295 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Annoyed at Breaking Bad spoilers in #295 - 26/11/2013 1:30:44 PM   
peter

(Unlike Empire, I'll only quote the spoilers themselves at the end of this post, clearly signposted.)

I am really not normally one to cry 'Spoiler' at every opportunity, but I am really very annoyed about Empire's review of the Breaking Bad Complete Series set in Issue 295.

No Spoiler Warning is given on the page, and - for my money - a Complete Series review should be aware that people will be reading who have not seen much, or any, of the show. I'm reading a Complete Series review thinking "Is this a show I want to start watching?", not "I wonder what happens in the final episode?"

If this had been a review of the Final Season dvds, I wouldn't have read, in the knowledge that some discussion may spoil seasons 1-4.

However, the review in the magazine gave too many details about the very final batch of episodes. Furthermore, the manner in which they were delivered came across as smug and unnecessary. In fact, the spoiler comments were not even part of the Review itself, but featured in the 'Extras' discussion. The review itself was perfectly spoiler-free.

One defence of spoilers of this nature is that they are needed to discuss a show fully. In this case, they definitely did not provide any insight. See the quotes below to see just how unnecessary to the section they were.

I do think Empire have made a mistake here in not flagging this item with a spoiler alert. They have taken away from my enjoyment and anticipation of the show, and I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription as a consequence. (May appear drastic, but what other action can you take. I mean, um, apart from venting your spleen on a rarely-viewed message board...)

***SPOILERS FOLLOW***

"Paul and Cranston read the Felina script for the first time on camera ("Well, i guess there won't be a sequel", quips Cranston.)"
"Gilligan, meanwhile, is even less frank, even 'fessing that when making episode 5.01 he had no idea how, or on who, Walt would be using that M-60 machine-gun come the 5.15 endgame."

These comments are completely unnecessary to the discussion in hand: I mean, the first one is even in brackets!

I'd appreciate a response from anyone at Empire who may share, or even disagree with, this opinion.
Post #: 1
RE: Annoyed at Breaking Bad spoilers in #295 - 26/11/2013 6:16:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Fact 1: I'm a massive spoilerphobe. I mean MASSIVE. ENORMOUS. GIGANTIC. I loathe them with a passion. Ask anyone on here, they'll roll their eyes and agree that that bloody Homer is harping on about spoilers again.

Fact 2: Breaking Bad is my favourite TV series bar none.

With those two facts in support, I have to say, those aren't statements that really give much of anything away. You're safe. Go get a free trial of Netflix and power through the whole show in a month. It'll be the best month since that time you ate nothing but crisps as a kid, and you won't have to spend a thing.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to peter)
Post #: 2
RE: Annoyed at Breaking Bad spoilers in #295 - 26/11/2013 9:05:34 PM   
peter

Thanks for adding your thoughts. While I still hold that the comments are unnecessary and out of place in a Complete Series review, your comment's really reassured me that not too much has been ruined. Cheers.

I can see the headlines now: "Man on internet chills out!!"

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 3
RE: Annoyed at Breaking Bad spoilers in #295 - 29/11/2013 10:24:29 PM   
Cool Breeze

Empire are notorious for dropping massive spoilers in terms of tv especially.

They had an interview with some of the young stars of Game Of Thrones a few issues ago and again, with no spoiler warnings they casually mentioned some major character deaths i would have preffered not to have known about given that i havnt seen the show yet.

I think its best to just avoid the tv section of the mag completely since their writers are so careless.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to peter)
Post #: 4
RE: Annoyed at Breaking Bad spoilers in #295 - 2/12/2013 1:32:08 PM   
jcthefirst

Surely, being a monthly magazine, covering the most recent developments in the TV section one assumes that if you've not caught up with the series, don't read an interview that's clearly there to publicise a dvd release/start of a new season. I've not watched The Wire so havejust skipped over any article that has THE WIRE: COMPLETE SERIES REVIEW on it.

It's your fault for reading it and not being up to date, not the magazine's for covering recent news.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Annoyed at Breaking Bad spoilers in #295 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI