Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Blue Is The Warmest Colour

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Blue Is The Warmest Colour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blue Is The Warmest Colour - 9/11/2013 4:28:56 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Excellent - 9/11/2013 4:28:56 AM   
Jokershideout

Amazing from start to finish. I agree, this is Exarchopoulos' movie for sure. Best movie of 2013. Even more than Gravity.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Best Film Ever - 13/11/2013 9:13:59 PM   
snowdrop73

The 2 girls are really amazing. I wouldn't mind watching them for even 6 hrs long!! Kechiche's direction is very brave and intimate, makes you feel so close to Adele physically but mostly mentally. Every scene has its small meaning, you should look close to the details. Adele is expressing her feelings so naturally and gives definitely an Oscar performance which will be remembered. Lea performs amazingly too and there is such strong chemistry between them. A movie that will forever have a very special place in my heart and soul. I dare say it's the best I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot!

Post #: 3
- 18/11/2013 10:02:11 AM   
Suttisan

Thanks for telling us the entire plot.

Post #: 4
9 is the warmest song - 21/11/2013 7:42:26 PM   
Jonny24

this sounds like 9 Songs, but without the ace soundtrack and Margot Stilley wanking off that geezer.

(in reply to Suttisan)
Post #: 5
RE: 9 is the warmest song - 23/11/2013 12:43:42 PM  1 votes
Qwerty Norris

A terrific film, but one I left feeling disappointed with.

Blue is the Warmest Colour is structured as two distinctive halves, the first of which is wonderful; an intimate, astonishingly authentic portrayal of a young woman fighting conformity and falling in love with a girl. The courting & eventual coming together of the pair is perfectly realised, offering one of cinema's most natural depictions of romance in a very long time.

It's a shame then that rather than maintain the brilliance of the first half, the narrative takes an unwanted shortcut for dramatic effect in the second; a well worn cliche that for me, compromised the naturalism & diluted the emotional pay-off. In isolation, there's a scene towards the end that should be heartbreaking to watch, yet it doesn't have that desired impact because of the cheap & easy tactic of that earlier plot device.

The efforts of the leading pair however are never in question, in particular, the one from Adele Exarchopoulos. Virtually in every shot, it's not that she carries the film, she is the film. Put simply - it's an amazing performance. Cate Blanchett may well be the awards favourite for her terrific turn in Blue Jasmine, but if there is any justice Exarchopoulos will be sweeping the board. Her transformation from unsure school pupil to brave-faced primary school teacher is a colossal piece of acting. You might not always believe in the choices of Kechiche & Lacroix's script, but you'll always believe in her.

Some people will inevitably sneer & identify this as the lesbian film (largely thanks to the full-on sex scenes), but BITWC isn't about gay rights or a fight against homophobia. It's a love story about two people who just happen to be of the same sex. Had it sustained the quality of the first ninety minutes, it would be right up there as my film of 2013. For me though, it'll have to settle for just being the best love story of 2013, with the best performance I'm likely to see in a cinema this year.

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Jonny24)
Post #: 6
RE: Blue Is Not The Warmest Colour. Orange is. - 26/11/2013 10:33:31 PM   
spamandham

Three hours of tedious titillation. Good acting from the leads though.

Post #: 7
- 12/12/2013 7:49:22 PM   
fuzzy1659

Just saw it&absolutely loved it, worth all the hype that came its way. Thought the performances and the directors execution were as good as it gets. Although i did worry during the sex scenes about the 80 plus year old man in the front row who apparently just wandered into the cinema to pass an hour. Thought there for awhile we were definitely going to have some cardiac issues.

Post #: 8
- 12/12/2013 7:50:15 PM   
fuzzy1659

Just saw it&absolutely loved it, worth all the hype that came its way. Thought the performances and the directors execution were as good as it gets. Although i did worry during the sex scenes about the 80 plus year old man in the front row who apparently just wandered into the cinema to pass an hour. Thought there for awhile we were definitely going to have some cardiac issues.

Post #: 9
RE: - 31/12/2013 9:46:45 AM   
chang

Forget the controversy and see Blue is the Warmest Color for what it truly is: a warm and compassionate ode to the vagaries of the heart.
quote:

Blue Is The Warmest Colour

(in reply to fuzzy1659)
Post #: 10
- 21/1/2014 1:38:49 PM   
jezy

I can't take the Best Actress Oscar nominations seriously now without Adèle Exarchopoulos name on it. It is an amazing film that reflects being in a relationship regardless of sexuality. Raw, beautiful and film of the year .

Post #: 11
RE: Blue Is The Warmest Colour - 25/1/2014 10:08:41 AM   
suzyq50

Loved this film. The performances are the best this year especially from Adele Exarchopoulos. She deserves to be scooping up awards but I sense the frank sex scenes just frightened off the critics, in the UK & US that is.

I think the direction & editing lets this film down. I loved the first chapter but the second seems rushed & contrived (even in a 3 hour film)! I wanted more of the couple together & the repercussions of their relationship on their family & friends rather than straight into their demise.

Some scenes are unnecessarily too long, especially the main sex scene. I think this is over indulgence by the director but full credit to Seydoux & Exarchopoulos for their all out performances, they really make this film work.

Post #: 12
RE: - 25/1/2014 10:15:18 AM   
suzyq50

Yes I agree. Bullock, Adams et al. despite giving good performances just aren't up to what Exarchopoulos produced. Oscars are staying safe with their choices & even Bafta who I thought would recognise Exarchopoulos but alas didn't.

(in reply to jezy)
Post #: 13
The best romance movie ever in the last decade - 29/4/2014 10:19:03 PM   
george7163

Regardless of the love scenes, this film totally deserves The Palm D'or Awards.

All the actors were truly natural in their performances, specially Exarchopoulos, what a beautiful way to the show a coming of age of adolescence, where the heart is concerned.

If any director/ screen writer/actors could get any where to perfection , this film was it.
I truly recommend this movie for all movie buffs

Post #: 14
PRETTY GOOD...... - 13/5/2014 5:35:20 PM   
ROTGUT

This thing is almost 3 hours long but doesn’t feel like it. Fearless performances from the two lead actresses with some genuine emotion on display amidst all the low rent (and very naturalistic) action. But look past the explicit naughtiness and there’s a really fine film to be had here - a film filled with passion, warmth and real humanity. All the joy, confusion, complexity, boredom, strife and – indeed - sadness of the lovers is beautifully and sensitively captured. I was touched. Hollywood never ever makes films like this as far as I know. Thank God then that the French don’t carry such hang ups. Enjoyable art house.
FOUR STARS

Post #: 15
Incredible - 7/7/2014 1:20:40 AM   
emilyelizabeth1283

Adele, (Adele Exarchopoulos), has her mouth hanging open a lot. When she is eating, she talks with her mouth full, her hair in the most incalculable mess I've ever seen. She is in high school, but she could also be a third grader in the park, looking at all the strange people around, sometimes catching her hair with a bit of her peanut butter sandwich. Everything about her exudes youth, inexperience, and curiosity. So a dissonant moment occurs when we first see her exploring herself on her own sexually. But instead of imagining the boy she's just made out with for the first time, she thinks of the girl with blue hair she saw walking around with another girl. She knows she is missing something, and when she catches a glance of the girl again, she decides to not let her go this time. An inevitable meeting occurs. And this is where I fall in love with Emma, (Lea Seydoux).

She is cool, confident, experienced, artistic, sensitive, and is drawn toward Adele, drawing her in and listening. She wants to guide her, protect her, answer her questions. What is it that she is attracted to in Adele? It is hard for me to buy it at first, but Adele seems to represent purity, innocence, she is different from all the people that normally swarm around Emma. It is also interesting to take into account the fact that Emma is an artist. She's hungry for success, she wants attention and respect, and here she has an inquisitive and sincerely interested follower. This is attractive.

Blue-is-the-Warmest-ColorAdele discovers satisfaction and happiness, but even as her relationship with Emma grows we watch her float shyly through this new reality she's broken in to. She doesn't feel comfortable outside the protection of Emma's embrace and we see it get increasingly hard for her. Adele feels insecure as she struggles to fit in to the art world about which she knows nothing, while watching Emma's friendly and beautiful friends carry on as they've done for years. The thing I love here is that

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Blue Is The Warmest Colour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI