Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 6/11/2013 6:12:19 PM   
Beno

My 9 year old Stepson loves the recent movie and totally gets it.
I have always loved the story and love the recent movie adaptation.
Vastly differing age difference in us but its adored. I get how it failed and why but somehow dont!?!
This story is epic and beautifull and yet too hard to follow?

Whats to be done? A reeboot? How would this work? How to make it work?

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"
Post #: 1
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 6/11/2013 6:20:34 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

My 9 year old Stepson loves the recent movie and totally gets it.
I have always loved the story and love the recent movie adaptation.
Vastly differing age difference in us but its adored. I get how it failed and why but somehow dont!?!
This story is epic and beautifull and yet too hard to follow?

Whats to be done? A reeboot? How would this work? How to make it work?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 2
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 6/11/2013 6:32:19 PM   
sanchia

Part of the problem is that too many aspects of it have been borrowed by other films and novels in the century since the book came out. I don't think there was actually anything wrong with the film itself although the sense of familiarity with far too many aspects did detract.

I struggle to see how it is a story which could be improved in a manner which would make it succeed other than going completely against the original books and rebooting in a completely different manner although that is not likely to happen.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 3
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 6/11/2013 6:38:39 PM   
rich

It had all the right elements and squandered them with dull characters, tedious pacing and a lack of any kind of hook... I mean the guy is on Mars, that's exciting right... so where is the adventure? How is it that hard to get a simple heroes journey done right? Kids might be impressed ... with something, but the even effects were really up and down with how convincing they were. Maybe someone could take a serious look at editing it into something more interesting (perhaps they have) but I could care less.

What's to be done with it? Nothing. Just another flop. I don't think anyone is going to employ old Gambit in anything like this again, never mind a sequel.

< Message edited by rich -- 6/11/2013 7:00:59 PM >

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 4
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 7/11/2013 1:15:29 PM   
jackcarter

i wonder how much it wouldve needed to have been deemed a success and enough to warrant a sequel

i wonder if another 100m wouldve been enough? (so 385m ww)

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 7/11/2013 2:19:55 PM   
spark1

do it as a tv series then see if it could rebooted.

look what's happening with 'stargate'.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 6
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 7/11/2013 5:53:44 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

i wonder how much it wouldve needed to have been deemed a success and enough to warrant a sequel

It would have needed to make at least 600m ww just to break even.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 7/11/2013 5:54:24 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 7
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 7/11/2013 7:25:58 PM   
MonsterCat

Get Donovan Kurtwood into the position of CEO of Disney?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 8
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 7/11/2013 8:55:15 PM   
Hood_Man

Sure, it might offend a few of the bluenoses with its cocky stride and musky odors - oh, it'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this John Carter of Mars?"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 8/11/2013 4:30:17 AM   
Proudfoot

It wasn't a bad movie, something I'm sure will become clear as time goes by and silly things like hype and media status will matter less, sometimes shit just happens.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 10
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 9/11/2013 1:11:44 PM   
spark1

call netflix?

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 11
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 9/11/2013 9:34:57 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

It would have needed to make at least 600m ww just to break even.

it probably would’ve reached 600m had it been Cruise/Spielberg’s 3rd collaboration

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 12
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 9/11/2013 10:47:43 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno
Whats to be done?

Nothing, leave it be. They tried and failed. There is always the original story and the countless number of films that have stolen from/homaged it over the past 100 years.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 13
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 11/11/2013 10:15:13 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Ah John Carter of Mars

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 14
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 12/11/2013 9:58:38 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Ah John Carter of Mars

Ah ... yes that is the topic?

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 15
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 13/11/2013 1:59:54 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

Ah John Carter of Mars

lol. I was staring at the skies starry eyed when i typed that. I really love this movie!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 16
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 13/11/2013 7:10:06 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah John Carter of Mars

lol. I was staring at the skies starry eyed when i typed that. I really love this movie!

I can't help but genuinely admire your love of films that most people think are shite.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 17
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 13/11/2013 8:06:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah John Carter of Mars

I can't help but genuinely admire your love of films that most people think are shite.

I can't decide whether it is endearing or frustrating

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 18
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 15/11/2013 12:26:41 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Its endearing! No one should be frustrated by my taste in movies as we all have our own preferences! If we all liked the same things then life would be very dull!

Post #: 19
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 17/11/2013 12:46:36 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Its endearing! No one should be frustrated by my taste in movies as we all have our own preferences! If we all liked the same things then life would be very dull!

Yeah. I was joking, DK. Like whatever you want

And I have said in the past, John Carter isn't bad. It's not amazing either, I have seen it and have no desire to see it again, but it was better than most films that have been ridiculed lately.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 17/11/2013 12:48:43 AM >

Post #: 20
RE: Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? - 20/11/2013 1:35:16 PM   
jobloffski

Princess of Mars was more fun to read than the film based on it was to watch.

Whether or not it was meant to be at the time, I read the book as a parody of manliness, with Carter's battle prowess being the thing that saves the day, with him being so dutiful and honour bound to fight for his lady and ready to resort to fighting that the same nature also causes half the problems he then has to deal with.

The film sought to update the story by making the Princess more kickass but she was a powerful enough character as it was. Carter going Gaga for her provided the book with its romance and its (through modern eyes) lunkheaded heroism. The idea of a man getting so ludicrously loved up by love completely unrequited was abig part of the heart of the boo and forgerounded more could have been simultaneously swoonworthy for those that buy it straight and archly hilarious for those who don't.

The film robbed the story of it's 'christ, now what? how will he get out of this' serial adventure nature that provided the basis for the Flash Gordons and Buck Rogers stuff made in it's wake, which in turn led to star wars.

Rather than marketing and making the film as the source of all those things it inspired, it often took its visual lead from the Star Wars prequels, especially the Geonosis stuff in Attack of the clones. Copying the style of the offspring of what you have already inspired can only look like pale imitation of the more recent material when the film could easily have been approached/marketed/made from the POV 'This came first and THIS is how you take people for a fun ride.

It needed a look and feel all it's own, for the story to be trusted to carry it without the irritating Mark Strong as bad guy yet again element.

The books introduce a world bit by bit and discoveries of the nature of the world are spread out over the books. The film tried to get to the plot, and add stuff but really fucked up the opportunity to be the 'Tarzan in Space' it was clearly (to me) intended to be and had the 'oh shit, now what' feeling that drove Raiders of the Lost Ark had been the approach, it would have been more of a ride, more thrilling, more true to the source material and baiscally FUN!!!! Which may well have resulted in the franchise the makes thought they were starting.

In short, if ever attempted again, make the story that is in the book. occasional double takes from others are all that would be needed to convey the 'this man is brave but also oretty dumb' hokiness. Focus much more onthe danger of the situation and for fucks sake don't do wide shots in which loads of action happens rendering it distant and ridiculous. Fun and excitement and full exploitation of the visual possibilities to be like nothing you have ever seen before. Fun plus excitement = desire for more and the books up the ante each time.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 20/11/2013 1:42:06 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Whats to be done about John Carter (Of Mars)? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI