Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 6/11/2013 10:29:32 AM   
The Hooded Man

I'm just referring to the massive surge in quality television that is in many ways surpassing cinema at the moment. Compare the likes of Breaking Bad, Sherlock et al to the slew of average blockbusters that seem to have a grip of the covers of Empire in recent years. Could there even be room for a spin-off Empire magazine focusing on the small screen?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 1
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 6/11/2013 12:43:59 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I'm just referring to the massive surge in quality television that is in many ways surpassing cinema at the moment. Compare the likes of Breaking Bad, Sherlock et al to the slew of average blockbusters that seem to have a grip of the covers of Empire in recent years. Could there even be room for a spin-off Empire magazine focusing on the small screen?

Believe it or not, when Heat was first launched this was the market at which it was aimed! Full of thoughtful, insightful pieces on past, current and future TV shows, I used to look forward to picking it up every week. Then one week it mysteriously transmogrified into the celeb-obsessed mess that it is now.

Maybe that change in target readership just goes to show that there wasn't a market back then for this type of magazine, though maybe with the emphasis that is being placed on the next-gen games consoles becoming the centre of a home entertainment system and the popularity of services like Netflix, there may be some interest in such a mag now?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 2
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 6/11/2013 2:27:46 PM   
The Hooded Man

Maybe we should hit Invest NI Sharkboy and test the water?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 6/11/2013 2:33:34 PM   
jackcarter

i could see Sherlock getting a cover (when its gets a movie)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 6/11/2013 5:56:23 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 6/11/2013 9:08:41 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Empire is first and foremost a movie magazine but devotes some coverage to tv.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 5
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 7/11/2013 11:55:08 AM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
Believe it or not, when Heat was first launched this was the market at which it was aimed! Full of thoughtful, insightful pieces on past, current and future TV shows, I used to look forward to picking it up every week. Then one week it mysteriously transmogrified into the celeb-obsessed mess that it is now.

Maybe that change in target readership just goes to show that there wasn't a market back then for this type of magazine, though maybe with the emphasis that is being placed on the next-gen games consoles becoming the centre of a home entertainment system and the popularity of services like Netflix, there may be some interest in such a mag now?

Heat was brilliant when it first started. It had a pretty good film section too.

I remember the exact issue where it all went tits up - about half of the issue was devoted to Big Brother, and cover star was Nasty Nick from said series. I actually did a double take and had to check I didn't pick up the wrong mag by mistake, but no it was Heat.

And now it's one of the worst things in existence.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 7/11/2013 12:43:48 PM   
jcthefirst

I didn't know that about Heat.

My wife bought it on a recent holiday (lack of options more than anything) and by God, it's awful.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 7
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 7/11/2013 1:56:36 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Heat was brilliant when it first started. It had a pretty good film section too.

I remember the exact issue where it all went tits up - about half of the issue was devoted to Big Brother, and cover star was Nasty Nick from said series. I actually did a double take and had to check I didn't pick up the wrong mag by mistake, but no it was Heat.

And now it's one of the worst things in existence.

Fuck, I've just had a horrible memory of that very issue - after the first few pages I remember thinking to myself "no wonder that girl in the newsagents was giving me funny looks when I bought this"! Heat was the first place I ever heard about Walking With Dinosaurs, when it topped the list of TV shows to look out for in 1999. One glance at the picture of the apatasaur and I knew I'd be hooked! And yep, the movie section was great too. But now it's just another of the shelf-full of celeb-driven crap that we have to put up with.

Hoodie, I'm with you - InvestNI here we come!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 8
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 8/11/2013 12:00:36 PM   
horribleives

Yeah, I remember the first year of Heat - it was a great little magazine and seemed to have a remit to focus on the more interesting stuff happening in (or on the fringes of) the mainstream - it ran a feature on The Blair Witch Project months before anyone else and was an early champion of The Sopranos (halfway through series one there was a massive article asking 'why isn't everyone talking about this show?'). Alas, I imagine the change was forced by no fucker buying it: I just glanced at its Wikipedia page and it appears that after Mark Frith become editor in 2000 (the year Big Brother started) and the mag was revamped its sales went from 60,000 a week to half a million. This country.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 8/11/2013 9:27:07 PM   
jackcarter

i too remember buying the first issue of Heat. later i became deeply ashamed as i saw it in the shops and it was the celeb big brother stuff and i thought to myself 'i bought the first issue of that'...its good to know that it wasnt the celeb based magazine it later became when i bought it that one time as id forgotten what was in it and just assumed it was what it is now

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 10
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 12/11/2013 8:24:46 AM   
Scruffybobby

Ah the good old days. I can rememembr when Heat ran a cover story on The Phantom Menace, a concept so unbelievable given what that mag is today. I'm glad this thread exists because it proves I'm not imagining it.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 11
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 14/11/2013 12:00:49 PM   
BudBaxter

When Heat started out it was like the UK equivalent of America's 'Entertainment Weekly' magazine & was excellent - I even subscribed! Then, as horribleives says, Big frickin' Brother started & it all went horribly wrong...

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 12
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 27/12/2013 6:18:58 PM   
kevorino

There have been other magazines that have covered TV as well as Heat, i think one was called Icon, they never last though so it doesn't look like there is a market for it, Empire does cover quality (mainly American) TV dramas.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 13
RE: Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? - 15/1/2014 1:07:46 PM   
McAvennie

Original Heat was a brilliant read. It was when I suddenly realised I was reading four pages about Jamie Oliver's wedding that I realised something had gone terribly wrong and I stopped buying it.

(in reply to kevorino)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Will Empire ever put a TV show on the cover? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI