Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in movies and tv?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in movies and tv? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in mov... - 2/11/2013 3:37:24 PM   
Cool Breeze

Its occured to me lately that London seems to be the go to area for terrorist attacks in amercian ( and british ) movies and tv shows.

Look at the evidence..

Skyfall ....Raoul Silva attacks MI6 and causes havoc on the London underground.

Fast And Furious 6...Owen Shaw and his gang cause terror and destruction all over London.

GI: JOE : Retaliation...London is OBLITERATED off the face of the earth by Cobras weapons satellite! ( Its ok though because its all forgotten about by the time the Joes are being awarded medals for saving the usa at the end )

I havnt seen Thor: The Dark World yet but from the looks of the trailer, some part of London comes under attack there as well!

On top of all that its strongly rumoured that 24s return to televison next year has Jack Bauer battling terrorists in London, and just this week it was confirmed that Olympus Has Fallen is getting a sequel entitled...yep you guessed it, LONDON has Fallen!

Is this just all coincidence or is there any particular reason London is the setting for destruction in movies and tv shows at the moment?

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 2/11/2013 3:38:57 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''
Post #: 1
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 2/11/2013 7:39:20 PM   
Whistler

Tax breaks.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 2
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 2/11/2013 7:43:14 PM   
elab49

Recognisable, but different.

Tax breaks.

Didn't it start several years ago though? Rise of the Silver Surfer was mid noughties sometime I think.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 2/11/2013 8:43:46 PM   
Mister Coe

IMO, it's because, despite an awful terrorist attack a few years back, we're not going to get all upset about it and accept it as a silly scene in a big dumb movie...

Sorry if that sounds flippant, I mean absolutely no disrespect to those affected by terrorism... but London is one of the most recognisable cities in the world and showing those landmarks being destroyed holds more 'shock' value than, say, cities in Germany or Spain that the average US cinemagoer (whom, lets face it, are the big money market) possibly wouldn't be familiar with.  And, let's face it, we've been the butt of one joke or other for a long time...

Say what now?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 2/11/2013 9:03:38 PM   
will1000

How many more times can New York be destroyed?!

...donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 5
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 2/11/2013 11:41:50 PM   
rich

Capital cities are always getting smashed, I guess it's just one of those things and London is just recurring lately.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 6
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 3/11/2013 12:48:31 AM   
musht

I think after the 2012 and the whole "Royal" shenanigans (diamond jubilee, baby, etc) Hollywood just wants to take you all down a peg or two

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 7
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 3/11/2013 1:06:57 AM   
horribleives

I think the simple answer is: Everyone hates cockneys.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 8
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 3/11/2013 4:28:28 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Recognisable, but different.

Tax breaks.

Didn't it start several years ago though? Rise of the Silver Surfer was mid noughties sometime I think.

Hasn't it always been a popular choice even from way back?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_in_film

< Message edited by Deviation -- 3/11/2013 4:33:33 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 3/11/2013 8:23:52 PM   
Mister Coe

If LONDON HAS FALLEN happens, can I please ask / beg that Helen Mirren reprises her role as The Queen one more time, preferably with massive weaponry, even more hardcore than she was in RED...

'So, The Smiths said The Queen Is Dead? THIS Queen ain't dying anytime soon, motherfuckers!'

Cue bullet-blasting mayhem and gallons of blood...

Say what now?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 3/11/2013 8:35:05 PM   
superdan

I suppose seeing Swindon or Coventry get totalled just wouldn't have the same impact.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 11
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 4/11/2013 9:45:11 AM   
horribleives

I think a city that elected Ken Livingstone AND Boris Johnson pretty much deserves everything it gets.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 12
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 4/11/2013 10:02:58 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I was thinking along the same lines. Whilst most of the world and Londoners are shocked, the rest of the country is cheering
It would be nice to see France or Wales totalled now and again though.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 13
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 5/11/2013 1:13:52 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I was thinking along the same lines. Whilst most of the world and Londoners are shocked, the rest of the country is cheering
It would be nice to see France or Wales totalled now and again though.

Cheese eating surrender monkeys.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 5/11/2013 1:24:00 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Tax breaks.

End of discussion.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 5/11/2013 1:30:19 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Yep. It was one of Parker & the film council's big policy pushes around that time. It was also one of the few things the tories decided to keep in place after Jeremy CU next Tuesday opted to abolish them.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 16
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 5/11/2013 9:59:34 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Its occured to me lately that London seems to be the go to area for terrorist attacks in amercian ( and british ) movies and tv shows.

Look at the evidence..

Skyfall ....Raoul Silva attacks MI6 and causes havoc on the London underground.

Fast And Furious 6...Owen Shaw and his gang cause terror and destruction all over London.

GI: JOE : Retaliation...London is OBLITERATED off the face of the earth by Cobras weapons satellite! ( Its ok though because its all forgotten about by the time the Joes are being awarded medals for saving the usa at the end )

I havnt seen Thor: The Dark World yet but from the looks of the trailer, some part of London comes under attack there as well!

On top of all that its strongly rumoured that 24s return to televison next year has Jack Bauer battling terrorists in London, and just this week it was confirmed that Olympus Has Fallen is getting a sequel entitled...yep you guessed it, LONDON has Fallen!

Is this just all coincidence or is there any particular reason London is the setting for destruction in movies and tv shows at the moment?

Star Trek Into Darkness also features a terrorist attack on London!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 17
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 10/11/2013 1:26:40 AM   
Cool Breeze

Just saw Thor: The Dark World.

Add another attack on London to the list.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 18
RE: Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in... - 27/11/2013 6:55:43 PM   
Ghidorah

Red 2 aswell.

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Why is London all of a sudden a terrorist target in movies and tv? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI