Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Philomena - 2/11/2013 6:04:09 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Re: Philomena - 2/11/2013 6:04:09 AM   
Hood_Man

It's the old review cliche, "you'll laugh, you'll cry," but here's it's true. Without giving away too much, this is not a happy story. It is however nicely told, and the friendship that develops between Martin and Philomena brings plenty of chuckles.

Definitely worth going out of your way to see, this will be a favourite when the Bafta's are upon us.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Philomena based on Deadly Endings Novel by Raymond Russell - 3/11/2013 11:23:02 AM   
Best Sellers

Philomena is like Deadly Endings the best selling novel, both look at the Catholic Church stealing babies. Deadly Endings by Raymond Russell has just been released in paperback and shows the pain and heartbreak of a young Spanish woman, whose baby was stolen by Catholic nuns in Madrid. Unlike The film Philomena, Deadly Endings has an in depth view of the way women have been generally overpowered by society. Definitely a five star heart-breaking story.

Post #: 3
RE: Re: Philomena - 3/11/2013 2:01:50 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

It's the old review cliche, "you'll laugh, you'll cry," but here's it's true. Without giving away too much, this is not a happy story. It is however nicely told, and the friendship that develops between Martin and Philomena brings plenty of chuckles.

Definitely worth going out of your way to see, this will be a favourite when the Bafta's are upon us.

That kinda does though...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 4
RE: Philomena - 7/11/2013 8:11:02 AM   
squeezyrider

Saw this last night with my Mum who it is safe to say on the face of it is very much  the target market for this kind of thing. I have to say though the film was fantastic. It had so much to say about religion and cynicism and hope. I think sneakily this choice of story by Coogan was another dig at the press. His way of saying "look journalists this is the kind of thing you could be doing?". I've read reviews here and there suggesting that Judy Dench plays her role a little too close to stereotype. For the record this is clearly bollocks. Anyone who can't see the authenticity in her character has obviously never spent time with any elderly Irish Ladies. So anyway yeah I laughed a lot, I got grit in my eye a few times and probably came away wishing I was a better person. Not bad for a Wednesday Evening.   

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

Post #: 5
RE: Philomena - 14/11/2013 10:46:42 AM   
ChudMonkey

A wonderful wonderful film. I'm not usually a fan of this type of "based on a true story" comedy-drama but this is a truly exceptional movie. Beautifully acted and wonderfully scripted, it had even an old cynic like me close to tears on a couple of occasions. And, if the reaction of the rest of the crowd in the cinema is anything to go by (can't remember the last time I heard this much laughter or heard people clap during a movie), then this will be a huge word of mouth hit.

With a plaudits and box office revenue this week going to the fancy but shallow Gravity it's a shame that a lot of people will miss this movie first time round....let's hope it picks up plenty of awards and a bigger audience over time....

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 6
best film i've seen for months. - 23/1/2014 10:35:40 PM   
tysmuse

Managed to catch this on "2nd chance" viewing.
I thought it was funner than Wolf of Wall Street, more touching than 12 Years a Slave, and featured better acted that either of them.

Post #: 7
Simply brilliant - 6/2/2014 9:47:11 PM   
cloody

This is just a fantastic film. Coogan and Dench are simply incredible. Very moving and very funny, which is no short order given the subject matter. Really could not recommend this highly enough.

Post #: 8
Seriously? 5 stars?? - 4/3/2014 10:21:00 PM   
TheGodfather

Philomena
This was the last film I had to see in the Best Picture category for the Oscars. It`s the worst of all. Although it`s not really bad it`s never really interesting.
The acting is ok, though. Judi Dench shows that she`s way too good to be working with the material she`s given here. And finally I`ve seen a film where I don`t hate Steve Coogan all the time, wich is well worth mentioning.
Mediocre at best.

6,0/10

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Philomena Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI