Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 29/10/2013 2:36:37 PM   
The Hooded Man

It's always baffled me seeing he's the leader of the X-Men and after Wolverine is easily the most iconic X-Men character. Almost like leaving Captain America out of The Avengers.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 1
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 29/10/2013 3:34:09 PM   
musht

I think they got the casting wrong for one thing. James Mardsen is a good actor but he's not an action hero, and he didn't have a very imposing presence. The writing was also a problem, he was just the boring leader.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 2
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 29/10/2013 3:41:04 PM   
CharlE

quote:

I think they got the casting wrong for one thing. James Mardsen is a good actor but he's not an action hero, and he didn't have a very imposing presence. The writing was also a problem, he was just the boring leader.

Pretty much nails it, I thought I didn't like Marsden as an actor because of him playing Cyclops for a while. Wasn't until I saw him in 30 Rock and thought he was great. And it was like the writers didn't know what to do with the character. They made him so two dimensional.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 3
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 29/10/2013 4:09:48 PM   
AxlReznor

To be honest, I always found Cyclops to be pretty boring and two-dimensional in the comics as well. He's always the one trying to do the right thing, to the point where he seems to be overly-strict about rules, etc. He's kind of like Jack in Lost in that he thinks "I'm the leader, so it's my way or the highway", and that's about it.

That said, I do think he was underused in X2 - which I think is otherwise an excellent movie - and that was before Marsden's decision to jump ship to Superman with Singer caused them to write him out in such a crappy manner. I thought he was pretty much perfect in the original, though.

(in reply to CharlE)
Post #: 4
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 29/10/2013 4:13:14 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Aren't all comic book characters generally two dimensional?

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 5
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 29/10/2013 4:17:22 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Aren't all comic book characters generally two dimensional?

True. We need more pop-up comics!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 6
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 29/10/2013 4:24:17 PM   
CharlE

quote:

To be honest, I always found Cyclops to be pretty boring and two-dimensional in the comics as well. He's always the one trying to do the right thing, to the point where he seems to be overly-strict about rules, etc. He's kind of like Jack in Lost in that he thinks "I'm the leader, so it's my way or the highway", and that's about it.

I think that depends entirely on who writes him. People like Grant Morrison and Warren Ellis made him much more interesting.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 7
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 30/10/2013 8:13:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

It's always baffled me seeing he's the leader of the X-Men and after Wolverine is easily the most iconic X-Men character. Almost like leaving Captain America out of The Avengers.

Easy answer to this one..

Hugh Jackman is a big star.James Marsden isnt.

Hence why the X films are mostly Jackman led.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 8
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 30/10/2013 8:53:42 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

When Lost first came out I thought the Sawyer and Jack relationship was the Cuse/Lindelof version of Wolverine and Cyclops.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 9
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 30/10/2013 9:03:14 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Easy answer to this one..

Hugh Jackman is a big star.James Marsden isnt.

Hence why the X films are mostly Jackman led.

Now, yes. Jackman was relatively unknown when he was cast, it was Wolverine that made him a big star. Mardsen was also relatively unknown however X-Men didn't do him any favours at all

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 10
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 30/10/2013 9:43:35 PM   
Ghidorah

So we are comparing a boring character who just shoot beams from his eyes to a mucsle bound anti hero with fast self regeneration healing abilities, metal skeleton and a foot long metal claws?

Kinda remind of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfpEG3SFc8

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 11
RE: Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? - 4/11/2013 2:42:48 PM   
grucl

Isn't the real reason that Mardsen had already signed on to so Superman Returns for Singer?

It was a scheduling conflict and so they wrote him out of X3 early on.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Why does Cyclops get such a raw deal in X-Men films? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI