Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Please make it stop

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Please make it stop Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Please make it stop - 20/1/2014 12:01:32 PM   
Gram Woods

read the book

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 61
Were you expecting Blade Runner? - 11/2/2014 2:13:44 PM   
Samurai7

What did you expect from a movie about Kids in space killing bugs?
This was always going to be a tough film to make, and maybe it shouldnt have. there are too many boxes to tick - perhaps better as a series. It is not a classic, but Hood did a fine job with what he could. Nevertheless, it was great to see Ford in decent role.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
- 29/3/2014 11:54:40 AM   
BennyBoo81

Maybe it was because the night I watched this I'd actually watched Captain Phillips beforehand and nothing could actually better that...or was it just awful? I've come to the conclusion that, yes, it was truly awful. There's no need for an actual review here. Thanks

Post #: 63
RE: - 4/5/2014 10:43:44 PM   
BelfastBoy

Finally watched this out of curiosity. I'm only going to talk about the film though - while I utterly deplore Card's personal views, I detected no signs of them infecting the film and so feel they have no bearing on a film discussion. If you feel strongly enough to boycott the film, so be it.

The film is not great, but I'd say 3* rather than the magazine's rating. As someone else remarked (Dr Lenera, I think) identikit Remote Control soundtracks are becoming increasingly tiresome. I figured that if it wasn't Hans Zimmer's own work, it'd be that from one of his clones and sure enough - Steve Jablonsky! Take some formulaic Zimmer progressions from Pirates Of The Caribbean, chuck in a bit of Transformers and National Treasure, and you have the soundtrack to Ender's Game!

In terms of the film itself, it looks amazing and the zero-G environments are brilliantly realised. Harrison Ford actually seems interested, for once, and Asa Butterfield performs strongly against a heavyweight adult cast. In truth I've only really bothered posting at all because he's so good in this film. (Ben Kingsley as a half-Maori is an odd choice though - surely a real NZ actor would've been better? But then I guess the film couldn't have been marketed as starring an 'Academy Award Winner'.). In truth, there are many terrible films that have made far more money at the box office. If you're curious about thought-provoking, morally ambiguous scifi, this is worth a watch.

(in reply to BennyBoo81)
Post #: 64
RE: RE: - 10/5/2014 2:34:07 PM   
vodkafan

I was so bored with this film I walked out of the cinema half way through. I hadn't read the book and so allowed myself to be guided by some other people's opinions (of the book).
I knew within a few minutes I had wasted 8 and made a big mistake....I found the whole concept silly and juvenile and the adult characters were not believable at all, spouting their lines as if wanting to get it over with and get to the paycheck.
To me it just seemed like St. Trinians in space.
I have read on the other reviews (and other places) that Card has some extreme views and is probably not a very nice person. Can't really comment about that as I am not sure it has a place in a film review? Did he have much to do with the film itself?

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 65
RE: RE: - 29/5/2014 10:19:38 AM   
SQUATCH

Not as bad as i was expecting, kids enjoyed (10 & 13)

"Marge my friend, I havent learnt a thing"

(in reply to vodkafan)
Post #: 66
RE: RE: - 26/6/2014 2:07:45 PM   
shool

Pleasantly surprised by this after some people had really slated it.
I thought the progression and pacing of Ender was too quick, but the film held my attention and looked marvelous.
The zero-G training sequences were excellent as was the finale both in spectacle and emotional elements.

7/10

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to SQUATCH)
Post #: 67
Wow - 21/8/2014 4:21:39 PM   
chris wootton

What a massive pile of shit

Post #: 68
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Please make it stop Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI