Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Marvel at its worst

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Marvel at its worst Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Marvel at its worst - 1/11/2013 6:02:37 PM   
dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

It was alright. The whole thing felt like filler until the next Avengers movie, though.

That's pretty much all I can think to say really. It just wasn't eventful enough to really say much more about.

It's EXACTLY that. They had no story to tell, but they still had to come up with a Thor movie until the next Avengers. I love superhero, sci-fi and fun action movies, but this one was pointless and plain generic.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 61
RE: Marvel at its worst - 1/11/2013 7:45:29 PM   
sanchia

Hardly Marvel at its worst though (Original Captain America film, Nick Fury Agent of Shield aka Haselhoff etc.)

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 62
RE: Marvel at its worst - 1/11/2013 10:41:53 PM   
Vadersville

I'm seeing a pattern here. It seems for the most part, those who liked Iron Man 3 hated Thor The Dark World, whereas those who saw Iron Man 3 for the steaming pile of fat turds that it was, like me, rightfully loved Thor 2.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 63
RE: Thor: The Dark World - 2/11/2013 9:24:25 AM   
olijoy

I enjoyed this. Usual fun but formulaic Marvel stuff. Not their best nor their worst.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else felt like Anthony Hopkins was barely conscious with his performance. It was like he was barely interested. Hemsworth and Hiddleston clearly treat it seriously and the film really shines when the pair of them are together.

Selvig being treated like a basket case was hard to understand too. The guy played a key role in fighting off an alien invasion - you'd think he'd be taken more seriously.

Jane walking around Asgard as if she were on holiday niggled me too. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be freaking out.

Loved that there were a lot of laughs. I for one like the fish out of water stuff. PIDDLY SPOILER ALERT: Thor hanging up his hammer at Jane's apartment particularly tickled me for some reason.

I'd give it three stars.

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 64
RE: Thor: The Dark World - 2/11/2013 1:09:16 PM   
kathryn2

Saw this last night, and loved it. But then I've loved nearly all the Marvelverse films (only Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk let me down).

It's the most fun I've had since Iron Man 3. Surprisingly funny - but I foresee some confused tourists on the underground trying to get to Greenwich!

(in reply to olijoy)
Post #: 65
Nailed it nicely. - 2/11/2013 4:00:20 PM   
Belisarius0365

Your review was right on the nose for this one, I loved every minute of it. I'm pretty sure that an extra few minutes of explanation as to how the universe went from darkness to 'light' wouldn't have taxed the writers, the effects team, or the audience, though. Also, I feel that the Jane/Sif thing might be a set up for the next instalment, rather than a plotline that went nowhere.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 66
RE: Nailed it nicely. - 2/11/2013 6:44:33 PM   
BelfastBoy

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS - BEWARE!

My big question is: when did Odin and Loki switch? Is it possible that, totally offscreen, Odin cooked up a deal with Loki as he knew that Thor would eventually make the choice to approach Loki as an ally? So, pretty much all the Loki / Thor scenes are actually Odin / Thor scenes, with Thor manipulated by both father and brother? Someone died on the Dark World, and I can only make sense of it if it's actually Odin in disguise. The only other option for me is that when Loki is piked by the Kursed / Mr Eko, he's actually made an Agent Coulson-esque return from apparent death. (If so, that's pretty lame, if you ask me. There has to come a point where, if someone is seen dying, then they have to remain dead!). There is also the scene with Odin and the Asgardian guard who reports finding a body - is that when the substitute happened?

(in reply to Belisarius0365)
Post #: 67
RE: Nailed it nicely. - 2/11/2013 7:12:04 PM   
Belisarius0365

Interesting question(s). Odin having foreknowledge of Thor's actions would fit with his mythological background, but then again in the Movies, he lost his eye in battle, rather than to gain occult knowledge. Loki's projections of himself seem to have substance when required, so he could conceivably have used an image of himself to fake his own death. That would make the scene where the Asgardian appears to have found him on the dark world have a point, so he can return to Asgard in disguise.
But the most important question is probably 'where is Odin now, and why did Loki/Odin let Thor keep Mjolnir and go back to Earth, presumably as a full time job?'

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 68
- 2/11/2013 7:29:34 PM   
Whistler

It's okay. While occasionally fun with a fantastic cast, it tries much too hard for broad laughs to the point where it just gets silly, and I never felt Malekith was a genuine threat. It'll fill a couple of hours but there's nothing special about it.

Post #: 69
RE: Marvel at its worst - 3/11/2013 4:53:10 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I'm seeing a pattern here. It seems for the most part, those who liked Iron Man 3 hated Thor The Dark World, whereas those who saw Iron Man 3 for the steaming pile of fat turds that it was, like me, rightfully loved Thor 2.

Oh dear, I'm gonna hate Thor 2 then.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 3/11/2013 4:56:53 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 70
RE: Marvel at its worst - 3/11/2013 9:39:43 AM   
Helana

MAJOR SPOILER

quote:

ORIGINAL: Citizen Dildo

Anyone care to offer an explanation for Loki's revival? Just acted dead until back in Asgard, bit too easy wasn't it?

SPOILERS

My hope is that Loki really did die but the Collector gathered his essence and gave him the chance to live if Loki gave him the Aether/infinity stone.

< Message edited by Helana -- 3/11/2013 11:17:07 AM >

(in reply to Citizen Dildo)
Post #: 71
RE: Marvel at its worst - 3/11/2013 10:27:04 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Well I liked them both, so where do I fit into this pattern?

The Dark World is a good deal of fun but is ultimately a bit disposable. Chris Helmsworth has grown into the role comfortably and his scenes with Tom Hiddleston are great. The plot and the villain though are a bit pedestrian and underwhelming, perhaps there's some deleted scenes that will bolster them up a bit. Still there's plenty of action and humour to enjoy and that's all I was really wanting from this so it's all good

I want to taste you like yogurt.

Post #: 72
RE: Marvel at its worst - 3/11/2013 11:03:08 AM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

The plot and the villain though are a bit pedestrian and underwhelming, perhaps there's some deleted scenes that will bolster them up a bit.

There certainly will be - they said so at one of the press conferences.

Ultimately they felt like they needed more Loki - and bearing in mind that, although Hiddleston steals every scene he's in, he doesn't get that much screentime, I'm sure they were right about that. It meant some Malekith stuff had to be cut.

The problem with Melekith is, in a franchise (and a universe) where the villains usually have an intimate connection of some sort with the protagonists, he has no connection at all with any of the characters. He fought Odin's father, not Odin - and hasn't been seen since. He's too impersonal a villain to have much impact on the main characters - after all, we all know he's not actually going to succeed in turning the universe dark, so the real 'jeapardy' in the story is interpersonal - what happens with Odin and Frigga and Thor and Loki and Jane.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 73
Marvel at it's worst? No.. - 3/11/2013 11:14:17 AM   
themanfromunkle

Took a while but at last we have a summer blockbuster that is half way decent-was it me or was the summer a constant steam of non-events because there were no Marvel films?

< Message edited by themanfromunkle -- 3/11/2013 11:17:51 AM >

Post #: 74
Marvel at it's worst? No.. - 3/11/2013 11:14:20 AM   
themanfromunkle

Saw this last night with my nephew-(who really enjoyed Iron man 3 & this by the way) & really enjoyed it-if I want high drama I'll go the theatre to see Chekov-the plot is set up perfectly in the first 10 minutes-yes, Malekith is one dimensional but this is the plot point that threads Thor & Loki together-(& judging by the Comic-con footage we are all Hiddlestoners) The sting at the end is perfect with Thor & Odin-(or (spoiler) is it?) and the only time the film drags is when Jane Foster is in Asgard. More importantly the post credit sting with the Collector brought out the 10 year old kid in me & shows that a) Guardians of the Galaxy will be very off the wall & different & B) that if Benicio Del Toro is playing it like that we are in for a treat next August-all roads lead to Avengers 3 & the death of a major character, Adam Warlock and the Infinity Gauntlet-CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Post #: 75
They've gone and wasted it - 3/11/2013 4:40:53 PM   
Azzurro06

I loved the first Thor movie, even more than I did the Avengers. So I was waiting for this with baited breath. It was a wasted wait. Wanna know just some of the problems with this movie? Here goes :-

1. A dreadful Frankenstein's monster of a story and script, patched together from God knows how many rewrites. The whole thing is just a mess chucked up on the screen to dazzle 12 year olds for 2 hours.

2. Loki is so terribly underused and for the second part of the movie behaves in a way that is nothing like the character from previous movies. A waste of a fantastic character and actor.

3. The sets and CGI are average, and certainly nowhere near the quality of the lush visuals that were offered to us by Brannagh's movie.
4. Natalie Portman has to be the dullest and most boring leading lady ever. How this wet fish keeps getting leading lady roles is beyond me.

5. What is the obsession with Idris Elba? As in Prometheus and Pacific Rim, he churns out yet another non performance, that lingers in the memory as long as my last blink.

Please Marvel, bring back Brannagh and Stracynski and we'll just forget this garbage ever happened.

Post #: 76
letdown - 3/11/2013 6:22:44 PM   
tysmuse

What a poor film.
It's 100 minutes of lame exposition and awful patter (mainly because of Portman's awful sidekick having her role beefed-up).
What on earth is the Macguffin about?? It's up there (or down there) as being as bad as that Matrix key thing from Transformers 2. Woeful.
The "plot" is non-sensical. All the characters seem to make decisions and so haphazardly.
Uninteresting badguys.
Honestly, if it wasn't for Hiddlestone and Hemsworth, this would be one-star stuff.

Post #: 77
RE: They've gone and wasted it - 3/11/2013 6:52:52 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Quite poor to be honest (and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed the first one).

Rather than telling a story that needed to be told or being a film that makes any sense, the Dark World prefers to be a checklist of audience and studio appeasement; Hemsworth gets his top off in a very brief scene that can only exist to please his many admirers. The earth action takes place in England, with no satisfactory indication as to why (presumably for tax relief purposes). Loki schemes away despite being placed in a narrative that doesn't give him any room to do any meaningful scheming (that space is taken up by Ecclestone & his woeful band of scum & villany - the most uninteresting adversary in a comic book film in quite some time). There are moments of light relief which defy logic and jeopardy (isn't the fate of the universe supposed to be at stake here?). Then there are action sequences which are guilty of the same problems - with the additional burden of being messy in their execution and wobbly in their CGI construction.

Hemsworth and Hiddleston remain good value in their roles, but the work they did with Branagh & Whedon only exposes the mediocre fare they have to put up with here.

Standalone films in the Avengers universe obviously serve a purpose for those characters, but on this evidence, you kinda wish we could all just spin on to the age of ultron.

2/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Azzurro06)
Post #: 78
pretty good superhero movie - 3/11/2013 9:55:49 PM   
bretty

Mixed reviews but I enjoyed it. It's a superhero movie for Goodness sake and was delivered with a calm confidence and strong cast. Okay the evil weirdness and alignment of worlds was a but incomprehensible, but it still delivered well.

Post #: 79
RE: pretty good superhero movie - 3/11/2013 11:35:34 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretty

Mixed reviews but I enjoyed it. It's a superhero movie for Goodness sake and was delivered with a calm confidence and strong cast. Okay the evil weirdness and alignment of worlds was a but incomprehensible, but it still delivered well.

Not a good excuse for poorness though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 80
RE: pretty good superhero movie - 4/11/2013 1:55:12 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Not a good excuse for poorness though.

Exactly. Using this argument as a line of defence for the mediocre is actually an insult to the superhero films that work & it degrades the genre in a kind of self-defeating way.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 4/11/2013 1:56:04 PM >

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 81
RE: Marvel at its worst - 4/11/2013 2:09:14 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

A movie such as this should be judged on what it actually is. Im sure some folk go to see something that is obviously 'popcorn blockbuster fayre' just so they can have a dig about how 'uninspiring' it was.
Thor The Dark World is fun plain and simple which falls short of the first Thor in my humble opinion but not by much. The humour is spot on and not over done or misplaced...... one funniest bit for me being the Stan Lee cameo. The action and effects were well executed and not over the top although the end action sequence seemed a tad rushed. Malekith was a bit of a naff villain who never came across with enough conviction - i even heard Tony Starks voice saying such a thing at one point in my head a la Avengers : "you lack conviction" - or enough plain evilness.
Dont quibble about Odin people! Thats clearly a setup for a third Thor.

So...it wasn't as good as the first one. The bad guy wasn't great and the ending was rushed. But if for some people that was enough to sink the film, they are just moaning and out to "get" superhero movies?

Other folk seem to rip this genre of movie apart for not having enough gravitas, poignancy or flipping meaning. Thats just daft! Nothing serious here! Its not perfect but its fun and some dont get that. Im a 50 year old geek who has loved the world of Marvel and DC since the early 70s and i feel protective of these movies - sue me!

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 82
RE: Marvel at its worst - 4/11/2013 2:11:24 PM   
Timon

quote:

I liked both!

MY GOD, I'M UNIQUE!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 83
RE: Marvel at its worst - 4/11/2013 2:14:16 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Other folk seem to rip this genre of movie apart for not having enough gravitas, poignancy or flipping meaning. Thats just daft! Nothing serious here! Its not perfect but its fun and some dont get that. Im a 50 year old geek who has loved the world of Marvel and DC since the early 70s and i feel protective of these movies - sue me!

So you enjoyed it? Good for you.

I'm susceptible to superhero films, comic book adaptations and a bit of fun...and I thought it was dull as ditchwater.

This doesn't mean you're wrong, but it does mean that it's pretty disingenuous of you to accuse others that the reason they didn't like it was because they didn't get it.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 84
RE: Marvel at its worst - 4/11/2013 2:21:23 PM   
Beno

I have not mentioned any names nor have i hinted at anyone on these forums as guilty of my opinions.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 85
RE: Nailed it nicely. - 4/11/2013 2:26:27 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS - BEWARE!

My big question is: when did Odin and Loki switch? Is it possible that, totally offscreen, Odin cooked up a deal with Loki as he knew that Thor would eventually make the choice to approach Loki as an ally? So, pretty much all the Loki / Thor scenes are actually Odin / Thor scenes, with Thor manipulated by both father and brother? Someone died on the Dark World, and I can only make sense of it if it's actually Odin in disguise. The only other option for me is that when Loki is piked by the Kursed / Mr Eko, he's actually made an Agent Coulson-esque return from apparent death. (If so, that's pretty lame, if you ask me. There has to come a point where, if someone is seen dying, then they have to remain dead!). There is also the scene with Odin and the Asgardian guard who reports finding a body - is that when the substitute happened?

Spoilers, so highlight away:

The guard speaking to Odin was Loki and Odin's last line in that scene suggests to me that there was no agreement, at least not before then. What Loki's done with Odin, who knows? Maybe given him some other form like he did to Thor earlier in the film? I doubt he's killed him though - that seems like the sort of thing that would be shown on screen. It's made clear in both Thor films that Odin is growing frail ("We are born. We live. We die.") so I suspect either Loki overpowered him or he just Bubba Ho-Tepped it out of there.

Loved the film - my favourite of the Marvel films so far (I also liked Iron Man 3). Great lead performances and it was very good visually - the boats scene for example, while Jane's jaunt on the Bifrost conveyed, to me, the sense of awe she was experiencing which was an impressive feat since we had already been there in the first film.

I felt Malekith ended up a bit one-note on screen - whether due to writing or edits - but still sufficiently threatening. And the rest of the film picked up the slack anyway.

As for the mid-credits sting (highlight): I didn't expect to see anything of Guardians of the Galaxy for some reason so it was nice to see it be set up. And I really didn't expect Benicio Del Toro (who I forgot had been cast) to be playing his role that out there. I'm consistently impressed with the way Marvel Studios aren't resting on their laurels with these films, and will take us well and truly off world with GotG.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 86
Enjoyed It - 4/11/2013 5:29:58 PM   
ChudMonkey

Enjoyed it - not as much as the first one or Iron Man 3 but it was funny and action packed enough. Eccleston and Portman are underused and the tone was a bit all over the place but it was a good cinema experience

MCU ratings so far:

1. Iron Man 3 (5)
2. Avengers Assemble (4.5)
3. Iron Man (4.5)
4. Thor (4)
5. Thor: The Dark World (3.5)
6. Captain America: The First Avenger (3.5)
7. The Incredible Hulk (3)
8. Iron Man 2 (2.5)

Personally can't wait for the next installments following the cameo mid-credits in Thor 2 and the Captain America trailer - both look really special...

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 87
RE: Marvel at its worst - 4/11/2013 5:30:00 PM   
waltham1979

Well went to see this bad boy last night and I thought it was...pretty alright!!!!!

It wasn't as terrible as some people are making out and it certainly isn't as superb as some people are gallivanting about. Too me the whole film, was whilst very enjoyable and fun (surely that's what these films should be) it did feel a little disjointed in places which could be down to all the re-writes and changing of directors possibly.

Remember that bit in the first Thor; when Loki has confronted Odin about his true heritage? Loki turns to Odin and yells with sheer pain and rage "Tell me!!!" and then followed possibly the best exchange between two actors in the whole Avenger's films takes place. Its short, sweet and beautiful played out...there is none of that in this film.

It looks fantastic, some of the exchanges between Thor and Loki are excellent (but criminally short) and its good box office fair but I can't help but feel with all the talent on display that Hemsworth/Hiddlestone/Russo/Portman/Elba/Hopkins deserve something a bit meatier too sink their teeth into.

My worry for the Avenger's films as they go on are what are they going to do that separates them from other comic book films that are just over reliant on CGI? As Thor: The Dark World did feel a little like it was style over content in places.

That said; all in all its good solid 3/5 for me. I will probably see it at the pictures again and I will probably buy it on DVD as well...but then I am a media and comic book whore of the highest order and the mrs made this odd whimpering noise during the Hemsworth top-off scene which I found strangely arousing...

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 88
RE: Marvel at its worst - 4/11/2013 9:07:01 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Oh dear, I'm gonna hate Thor 2 then.

People hated Iron Man 3? The Shane Black directed Iron Man 3? I loved that it had some concepts very similar to the wonderful Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, whilst doing a little more with the average superheroes mind-set than a good many superhero flicks would do. Plus, random bad guys with character. What's to hate?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 89
RE: Marvel at its worst - 4/11/2013 9:17:34 PM   
sanchia

I liked chunks of it, what I disliked was the manner it appeared to be a finale with a film written around it rather than a film written to a finale. Anyway that is for another thread.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Marvel at its worst Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI