Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Thor: The Dark World

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Thor: The Dark World Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thor: The Dark World - 23/10/2013 12:06:39 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
4 stars ?? - 23/10/2013 12:06:40 AM   
THERAHMAN

4 stars ??? really ?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: 4 stars ?? - 23/10/2013 8:43:24 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: THERAHMAN

4 stars ??? really ?

Yeah but mainly for the Thor out of Thive joke.

(in reply to THERAHMAN)
Post #: 3
RE: Thor: The Dark World - 23/10/2013 11:18:48 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: THERAHMAN

4 stars ??? really ?

Are you Thor about this?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 4
Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 11:56:52 AM   
MikeTheActorMan

Yay for the positive review of this, I'm even more excited to see it now!

But "but this isn’t the city-smashing snoozefest that mired Man Of Steel’s climax" is a bit... wtf? Man of Steel is AWESOME and had such amazing action sequences all throughout, how can you say that it was a snooze-fest? One of the best films I've seen all year!

Post #: 5
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 12:02:30 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeTheActorMan

But "but this isnít the city-smashing snoozefest that mired Man Of Steelís climax" is a bit... wtf? Man of Steel is AWESOME and had such amazing action sequences all throughout, how can you say that it was a snooze-fest? One of the best films I've seen all year!

And didnt they give Man Of Steel 4 stars?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to MikeTheActorMan)
Post #: 6
RE: Thor: The Dark World - 23/10/2013 12:32:36 PM   
MonsterCat

I think it would save Empire and its moderators a lot of time and hassle if Empire put up this disclaimer: "Empire and its website does not run on a hive mind mentality. Due to the subjective nature of film, each staff member of Empire may have differing opinions on any given subject. So quit your bitching about different star ratings."

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 7
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 12:44:59 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

But "but this isnít the city-smashing snoozefest that mired Man Of Steelís climax" is a bit... wtf? Man of Steel is AWESOME and had such amazing action sequences all throughout, how can you say that it was a snooze-fest? One of the best films I've seen all year!

Do you still need this explaining to you? Really?

How you get up in the morning and tie your own shoelaces is beyond me. Unless you don't. Which wouldn't surprise me.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 8
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 1:21:31 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

*sighs...and soul dies a little inside...*

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

Post #: 9
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 1:23:20 PM   
Bobby TwoTimes

I would say the dig at Man Of Steel was because it was complete and utter shite!

Post #: 10
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 1:29:19 PM   
horribleives

quote:

He didn't, he said the climax was a snoozefest. And I imagine he said it because he thought it was a snoozefest.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 11
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 1:32:54 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

No, Dan Jolin did.
But even if the reviews were written by the same people the point could still stand - I'd probably give Man Of Steel 4 out of 5 too yet I also found the last half hour dull as fuck.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 23/10/2013 1:33:19 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 12
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 2:32:40 PM   
Filmfan 2

I wonder how many pages of posts criticizing the film and its review we'll get to before anyone here has actually seen it?

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 13
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 2:37:45 PM   
BoDixen

Happy to see, that it seems Marvel learns a little and keep the running time below 2 hours and cut the final battle down.

Blockbusters right now are bloated and almost all reviews talks about loosing at least 20 min.

Man of Steel really suffers from this as well as Iron Man 3 and so forth.

Studios seem to think that people should feel they get their moneys worth and a longer running time with a long protracted conclusion is the answer even if the story don't require it.

Here's to hoping that trend will be broken.

Wil Wheaton: Goonies never say die.
Audience: You just did.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 14
RE: Thor: The Dark World - 23/10/2013 3:07:03 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I think it would save Empire and its moderators a lot of time and hassle if Empire put up this disclaimer: "Empire and its website does not run on a hive mind mentality. Due to the subjective nature of film, each staff member of Empire may have differing opinions on any given subject. So quit your bitching about different star ratings."

Nah, we obviously live for this

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 15
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 3:07:39 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: BoDixen

Happy to see, that it seems Marvel learns a little and keep the running time below 2 hours and cut the final battle down.

Blockbusters right now are bloated and almost all reviews talks about loosing at least 20 min.

Studios seem to think that people should feel they get their moneys worth and a longer running time with a long protracted conclusion is the answer even if the story don't require it.

Man Of Steel was just over two hours wasnt it? I didnt find it too long at all and thought the last half hour was action packed and exciting.By this reviewers reasoning, Avengers Assemble must have been very boring for him as well.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to BoDixen)
Post #: 16
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 3:16:47 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Man Of Steel was just over two hours wasnt it? I didnt find it too long at all and thought the last half hour was action packed and exciting.By this reviewers reasoning, Avengers Assemble must have been very boring for him as well.

Perhaps it was? Speaking personally, on the whole I enjoyed Man Of Steel and Avengers though I thought the climactic action sequences of both were thoroughly tedious. So I'm pleased to hear this may not be the case with the new Thor.

Post #: 17
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 3:35:21 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

Perhaps it was? Speaking personally, on the whole I enjoyed Man Of Steel and Avengers though I thought the climactic action sequences of both were thoroughly tedious. So I'm pleased to hear this may not be the case with the new Thor.

Empire rated Avengers Assemble their favourite film of 2012 so i assume that there was a group consensus in the office that they all liked it very much.Who knows?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 18
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 3:50:34 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

Empire rated Avengers Assemble their favourite film of 2012 so i assume that there was a group consensus in the office that they all liked it very much.Who knows?

What's that got to do with liking the climax of Man Of Steel? You're the only one suggesting if you find one boring one you must think the same of the other.
And I'm not sure how it works at Empire but at most magazines the writers submit, for instance, their top twenty albums, then each number one is awarded 20 points, number two 19 and so on. So just because it was number one doesn't necessarily mean everyone liked it.

Anyway, back to Thor: I'm no comic purist but I sincerely hope at some point he wears his bloody hat in this one.

Post #: 19
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 4:34:38 PM   
Bobby TwoTimes

I don't really want to see shorter end battles, as long as they're good.

The last 45 minutes of The Matrix was the best end battle of the last 15yrs and if anything I wanted more. Man Of Steel was just shit!

(in reply to BoDixen)
Post #: 20
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 5:07:48 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

I wonder how many pages of posts criticizing the film and its review we'll get to before anyone here has actually seen it?

I am never going to see it; as I hate comic book films and Marvel and Chris Hemsworth (the ugly shit). I am however going to sit on this review feed and criticize Empire's reviews. Bring up other films like Attack of the Clones, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and moan that they didn't show how Ben Affleck got back too Gotham.

Then I am going to chase small cats in my garden with a stick whilst in my Game of Thrones cosplay, lathered in warm baby oil, dancing to 'Slam Dunk the Funk' and hope the children who live next door aren't looking out of their window at the time...

None of the above is true.

Except for maybe the warm baby oil bit...

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 21
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 23/10/2013 5:13:11 PM   
dseys

quote:

The 1st Thor was also under 2 hours. A large-scale blockbuster that's over after 1h45 feels like a little movie where nothing has an impact. It's highly unsatisfying. Just like the 1st Thor, actually.

(in reply to BoDixen)
Post #: 22
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 24/10/2013 11:16:04 AM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

I am never going to see it; as I hate comic book films and Marvel and Chris Hemsworth (the ugly shit). I am however going to sit on this review feed and criticize Empire's reviews. Bring up other films like Attack of the Clones, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and moan that they didn't show how Ben Affleck got back too Gotham.

Then I am going to chase small cats in my garden with a stick whilst in my Game of Thrones cosplay, lathered in warm baby oil, dancing to 'Slam Dunk the Funk' and hope the children who live next door aren't looking out of their window at the time...

None of the above is true.

Except for maybe the warm baby oil bit...

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 23
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 24/10/2013 11:59:10 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: dseys

A large-scale blockbuster that's over after 1h45 feels like a little movie where nothing has an impact.

Isn't this the synopsis for all Marvel movies?

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 24
I somehow doubt that Chris is in any way sorry. - 24/10/2013 5:26:40 PM   
freddie205

I feel that in fact, he is rather pleased with himself for that pun at the end.

Post #: 25
- 25/10/2013 10:56:14 AM   
tylerseven

So "Gravity" will have more stars than the last comic-book piece of shit.
LOL

Post #: 26
Smegload - 25/10/2013 12:36:18 PM   
shanewire

Brilliant

Post #: 27
Smegload - 25/10/2013 12:36:20 PM   
shanewire

Brilliant

Post #: 28
RE: Smegload - 28/10/2013 10:28:19 AM   
AxlReznor

Will be going to see this on Saturday. It certainly looks like it's going to be better than the original, which disappointed me after its first half hour by turning it into a fish-out-of-water comedy.

And for the record, I thought Man Of Steel was excellent all-round, with one of the most exciting climaxes of recent years. Not sure how anyone could find it dull myself. Ah well... looking forward to The Dark World far more than I assumed I would be.

(in reply to shanewire)
Post #: 29
RE: Why the dig at Man of Steel? - 28/10/2013 10:54:37 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979
I am never going to see it; as I hate comic book films and Marvel and Chris Hemsworth (the ugly shit).

Whaaa? Tall, blonde, blue-eyed, muscular, and has an Australian accent? Even Vinnie Jones' panties would drop at the sight of him.

I'm looking forward to this a bit, I wasn't too interested in the first film but I really enjoyed Avengers Assemble. Hopefully this is more like the latter.

[EDIT]

Erm, never mind, wasn't paying attention

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 28/10/2013 11:10:42 AM >

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Thor: The Dark World Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI